Author Topic: Mod idea. Surface to air "missiles"  (Read 4258 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Mod idea. Surface to air "missiles"
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »
Just something I thought about: What about making a craft with 1 hitpoint with a one-shot weapon with slow projectile speed. The "SAM" craft would get destroyed by return fire (would have to balance the weapon/craft speeds for that), but the damage done by the "SAM"'s weapon would kill/damage heavily the UFO...

Basically a one-hitpoint craft with a weapon that has one shot only , but does lots of damage...  :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Mod idea. Surface to air "missiles"
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:57:39 pm »
Do UFOs still take damage from a craft's weapons after the craft has been destroyed?

If yes, then that would be doable. The problem then is hangar storage. A whole 2x2 hangar for a single missile is a bit much.. But if you make 1x1 hangars, then those could be used for other crafts as well. Launching them might be an issue too.. If you have 10 missiles, it adds 10 entries to your interception menu?

Maybe as SAM-Nukes.. Or one of those "launcher missile" that then fragments into sub-missiles. Either way, they'd have to be massive and do lots of damage to work in the current game.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 02:00:00 pm »
If you can limit certain weapons to certain ships, you could make a relatively simple work-around by making a cheap interceptor with a one-shot expensive missile as a weapon.
If you give it a short range, it would be a nice active missile defense to use against incoming battleships.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 04:38:22 pm »
OpenXCom Extended can do that. You could have a "launch module" which then lets go of the actual missile once it engages its target. I think some modern high yield missiles work like that too.

The main problem I see is storage. It's not something that should be spammable, but it's also not something that's really worth it if you can only have one per 2x2 hangar..

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 05:53:57 pm »
This is what the missile defenses facility should be for.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 05:54:13 pm »
OpenXCom Extended can do that. You could have a "launch module" which then lets go of the actual missile once it engages its target. I think some modern high yield missiles work like that too.

The main problem I see is storage. It's not something that should be spammable, but it's also not something that's really worth it if you can only have one per 2x2 hangar..
If that one missile takes out a battleship it's worth it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:16:51 pm »
Then it better be really expensive and high tech.. Taking out battleships is the realm of avengers with plasma cannons.. Maybe as something that follows fusion launchers.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:46:23 am »
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about it being cheap or inexpensive.
(Though lorewise it could be relatively tech-cheap.)

What I would really like if it was a form of active missile defense. High speed and acceleration, but incredibly low range, so you could only launch it at battleships that are almost on top of your base. It would introduce a little skill to it.

Alternatively, it could just do serious damage to a battleship, so you'd need a few of them to actually down it.

Either way, it should do enough damage to destroy the battleship instead of just crash landing it.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 12:22:21 pm »
Hm, I tried everything and could not come up with a working "SAM" craft concept yet. The range turns them into either useless (when too short) or into good interceptors when anything above too short. and thus invalidating the original idea...  :)

The extended exe is must for this, restricting the warhead to the launcher is required, otherwise you could simply use an interceptor...

Bah, I am at the end of my ideas for this.... :-[