aliens

Author Topic: Creating a Tutorial  (Read 12573 times)

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a Tutorial
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 08:02:54 am »
Today one of my mates is trying X-com for the first time, He already called me asking what to do so i think we DO need a tutorial after all ;)

Yes, this can prevent new player to get lost in game.

However, in short term, please tell him to take a look at the manual. :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:30:50 pm by hsbckb »

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:51 am »
Wouldn't it be easiest to record some tutorial video, upload to youtube and embbed on openxcom site? We could create dedicated page for that video.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 01:46:47 pm »
It's instructive, yes, but the user learns more when he clicks the button, instead of watching how the button is clicked.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »
And there's already plenty of gameplay videos, help and the like on Youtube and more. But in the end it always "feels" complex to outsiders and they'll always be wary until they try it themselves, it's a feeling you can't completely get rid of.

Plus X-Com is such an open-ended game that there's really no one true way to play so making a linear tutorial would just go against that, eventually somethings they just gotta wanna try and figure out themselves which is hard to teach in this day and age of linear gameplay.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »
I think it could be done as long as it is kept simple enough. If all else fails, we could always develop a new abridged manual with the help of the UFOpaedia crew to go along with future OpenXcom releases.