Author Topic: Xcom & TFTD  (Read 16056 times)

Offline uggla

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Xcom & TFTD
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 10:45:55 am »
At the same time I vote against implementing XCom Apocalypse in this project (even if I really like this game too). But it is just another game while UFO and TFTD are basically the same game. Or maybe implement only some features as an option/advanced modding, like rumbling walls, a possibility to crawl, etc.

And if some day somebody please to make an XCom Apocalypse reimplementation for modern computers, it will be just another project...

I'd love to see the Apocalypse storyline/research tree adapted to the classic UFO engine. Just my 2 cents.

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 03:33:07 pm »
Just using some of the TFTD maps and terror missions in Ufo Defense would be a nice upgrade. The under-water maps would not be usable without a major merge of under-water weapons, research and story line.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 09:25:18 pm »
With regards to joining the games, i always thought it would be a simple matter,

Start the game as EU then once you are close to getting your plasma rifles (provide a trigger) the alien ships instead of "escaping to space" they submerge, the user will be like WTF?!!

Then all hell breaks loose aliens can evade by simply heading for the ocean new missions will be available and now you can set up mission under sea keep the same number of bases, truly i never set up more than 5 bases anyway.
the research tree opens up areas of research and we get our hands into some nice harpoon weapons, which now combine with laser and plasmas can prove for the rest of the tech tree. weapons armor after all in the EU timeline i think diving suits already exist :) we just need to buy then :) and probably by then we have our first armor from alien alloys combine that with the diving suit and you have your first all underwater armor, this will require a lot of work from the user, as he/she struggles to find a balance... ahhh just the thought of struggling to keep up with the aliens makes me want to play TFTD again :D
Aliens can now do more attack ships and then games are fully merged :)

And of course keep the 2 parts missions those were the best

I understand that programming all that might not be simple, but who cares!!! that is not our problem, that is the programmers problems :D
*pulls out whip*
Work i tell you!!! work!!!!
*whiplash*

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 03:41:37 am »
Step 1: Finish OpenXcom with the mod support SupSuper already had planned.
Step 2: Fully implement TFTD as a separate game in the same engine, same mod support of course.

Only then are we in a position to...

Step 3: Identify which game we want to expand into the UFO/TFTD Hybrid? Probably TFTD.
Step 4: Create an semi-exhuastive document of which feature-sets we want to include.
    I'd suggest TFTD aliens starting after Cydonia
    Which scoring system will we base the bybrid game off of
    Which alien scoring and alien agression system will we base the bybrid game off of
    Will TFTD aliens start the same or will they get a running start
    Can water bases be built before Cydonia
    Obviously the maps will be merged
    select which weapons we actually want to use where there are duplicates
    can water bases be built before cydonia
    what research carries over
    which aliens can appear in both locations/mix crews
    do we need retextured UFO/USO walls & parts for water/land missions
    do we need to re-sprite EU aliens if they're going under-water
    what missions will be longer/shorter/two-part
    Will we use the much nicer EU tilesets in surface attacks

Step 5: Begin working out the details of how we actualy implement each of these things and which things need to be changed as we start codeing it.