aliens

Author Topic: French Translation  (Read 56702 times)

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: French Translation
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 07:20:22 am »
Now here is v0.57b of my French translation.

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 07:42:23 am »
Here is v0.58 of my French translation.

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 04:29:52 am »
Here is v0.58b of my French translation.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 08:05:30 pm »
Hi PowerPC80,
Just a remark about following french translation
STR_HAS_GONE_BERSERK
est délirant/e

Original (and better french) translation is
STR_HAS_GONE_BERSERK
est devenu fou

(for women, it should be : "est devenue folle", so "devenu/e" or better "devenu(e)" would not be really relevant)

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 09:44:12 pm »
Original (and better french) translation is
STR_HAS_GONE_BERSERK
est devenu fou
(for women, it should be : "est devenue folle", so "devenu/e" or better "devenu(e)" would not be really relevant)

Firstly, I made (and unmade) several changes a few months ago, but some of what I did (and undid) was reverted by harry (although he also fixed some problems as well). Now I have no idea what the current state of the translation is :). If you see a mistake, by all means, fix it.

Secondly, you correct regarding that the original is more typical. The reasoning for my choice of "est délirant/e" was twofold.

#1) To a prevent situation where the translation ends up looking like this... est devenu/e fou/folle

#2) Most importantly, I believe many of the soldiers names will not fit in the battle-scene window box if I change it to something like "est devenu/e fou/folle". Especially now that we have dozens of new and longer names in the .nam files. I could be wrong about this though.

I had to change the translation in other parts of the game for the same reason (most notably, the Graphs). Since you want me to change it, I'll look into it sometime today.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:44:22 pm by powerc80 »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 12:15:05 am »
Hi PowerPC,

I do want nothing in particular, it was just to share this information.

This is the strong part of this opensource remake : all is modable and accessible by everyone. So I changed it on my version, because seing "est délirant" was not very funny for me, and now I am happy.

And, once more, thanks for the great job you all do !  :)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 01:34:55 am »
#2) Most importantly, I believe many of the soldiers names will not fit in the battle-scene window box if I change it to something like "est devenu/e fou/folle". Especially now that we have dozens of new and longer names in the .nam files. I could be wrong about this though.
If text doesn't fit even though there should be enough room, let me know. :) I've been fixing such problems reported by translators, and I believe that Infobox is one of them so it should fit a lot more text now.

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 03:14:05 am »
If text doesn't fit even though there should be enough room, let me know. :) I've been fixing such problems reported by translators, and I believe that Infobox is one of them so it should fit a lot more text now.

Well SupSuper, it's not just that. It's about trying to make the game flow better and more readable to the audience. To do that, you'd need a separate string for every object/noun that was masculine/feminine. That's a whole lot of unnecessary complexity.

And lot of the strings are just too long in general. Take for instance...

https://i.imgur.com/JglKbqI.png

The "Char d'Assaut/Lance-Roquettes" shares the same string for both the weapon and the vehicle. Really, it should be:

Arme........................Lance-Roquettes

Rather then what it currently is:

Arme........................Char d'Assaut/Lance-Roquettes

Again, I'd rather not make the .lng file any more complex. I think you can understand :). I'll just try other solutions, like maybe "Roquettechar" or something :).

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 03:59:14 am »
Hi PowerPC,

I do want nothing in particular, it was just to share this information.

This is the strong part of this opensource remake : all is modable and accessible by everyone. So I changed it on my version, because seing "est délirant" was not very funny for me, and now I am happy.

And, once more, thanks for the great job you all do !  :)

You misunderstand me, Aldorn. I very much need your criticism :). Seriously, I'm often careless, hasty, and lazy, so don't hold back (because I want this to be good).

Ultimately I'd rather reach a consensus and find something that suits everybody, maybe even changing it back to something like "est devenu/e fou/folle". If you have any other suggestions for this case, they would be greatly appreciated.

Another problem is the genuine lack of good/popularized French science fiction (most of which I end up reading in English). No doubt other translators have similar problems. I end up having to create words like the following: https://i.imgur.com/tyWQdgA.png

In English it was something like "Hovertank" originally. I toyed with calling it aéroglisseur, but a hovercraft isn't necessarily militarized. I can't call it a "Flottant" tank since we already have this pronoun for the race of floating aliens. I can't call it a chasseur since it's not a jet. So I ended up calling it a aérochar; its sort-of like an aéronef, except it's also tank. For non-French speakers, I'm basically calling it an aerotank, if that makes any sense.

Anyway just a small glimpse into the mind of a powermad translator who has to act like a linguist :D.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 06:25:07 am »
You misunderstand me, Aldorn. I very much need your criticism :). Seriously, I'm often careless, hasty, and lazy, so don't hold back (because I want this to be good).
Nice, no problem ;-)

Ultimately I'd rather reach a consensus and find something that suits everybody, maybe even changing it back to something like "est devenu/e fou/folle". If you have any other suggestions for this case, they would be greatly appreciated.
So, if you need my opinion, I had a look at french release (.DAT files), this was (exact case) : "est devenu Fou"
So "est devenu fou" is nice, better I think than "est devenu/e fou/folle", that is really to complex to read, how would I say it, not really appropriate to situation : your soldier has gone berserk, it is not a good news, he is equipped with a rocket launcher and could kill all team members, it's no time to take a french training ;)
Let suppose you are speaking about "soldiers", no matter if they are men or women

Another problem is the genuine lack of good/popularized French science fiction (most of which I end up reading in English). No doubt other translators have similar problems. I end up having to create words like the following: https://i.imgur.com/tyWQdgA.png

In English it was something like "Hovertank" originally. I toyed with calling it aéroglisseur, but a hovercraft isn't necessarily militarized. I can't call it a "Flottant" tank since we already have this pronoun for the race of floating aliens. I can't call it a chasseur since it's not a jet. So I ended up calling it a aérochar; its sort-of like an aéronef, except it's also tank. For non-French speakers, I'm basically calling it an aerotank, if that makes any sense.

Anyway just a small glimpse into the mind of a powermad translator who has to act like a linguist :D.

Regarding HWP (PAL in french for Plate-forme Arme Lourde), this was
"Tank/Canon", "Tank/Lance-Roquettes", "Tank/Canon Laser", "Hovertank/Plasma", "Hovertank/Lanceur"

My opinion is Hovertank is nice, as Skyranger, and so on...
These are futuristic weapons/vehicles/vessels, so it is not a trouble if you keep original english names
For exemple, Aéroglisseur is existing vehicle, but you are speaking of sommething that will be invented in future

But, in fact, whatever your choice, it will be a good choice, just because if you did nothing, game would be in english

Hope it will help a little
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:32:21 am by Aldorn »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 06:20:01 pm »
Well SupSuper, it's not just that. It's about trying to make the game flow better and more readable to the audience. To do that, you'd need a separate string for every object/noun that was masculine/feminine. That's a whole lot of unnecessary complexity.

And lot of the strings are just too long in general. Take for instance...

https://i.imgur.com/JglKbqI.png

The "Char d'Assaut/Lance-Roquettes" shares the same string for both the weapon and the vehicle. Really, it should be:

Arme........................Lance-Roquettes

Rather then what it currently is:

Arme........................Char d'Assaut/Lance-Roquettes

Again, I'd rather not make the .lng file any more complex. I think you can understand :). I'll just try other solutions, like maybe "Roquettechar" or something :).
I've fixed this to only show the weapon name like in the original now. :)

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 07:10:59 am »
I've fixed this to only show the weapon name like in the original now. :)

Thanks SupSuper :D.

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 03:11:54 am »
Here is v0.58c of my French translation.

Also SupSuper, the alien Plasma Rifle seems to be missing its damage value... https://i.imgur.com/yyBMz0j.png

Offline powerc80

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 08:41:53 am »
I'm constantly amazed at the amount of work all of you guys put into the project. Keep it up :D!

Anyway, here is v0.59 of my French translation with all the new strings.

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »
Hi all,

Open Xcom v0.9 is anwsome, but  french translation have many mistakes, it's literally burn my eyes !

So I propose this fallow patch, I re-write entire end file (new and advanced options) and correct many problems anywhere.
I maybe not see all, please if you see another problem report here !

Below the file to download.
Have fun !
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:37:44 pm by Human Ktulu »