Author Topic: Good stuff, but difficulty seems off  (Read 8535 times)

Offline ubai

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Good stuff, but difficulty seems off
« on: June 08, 2015, 03:52:31 am »
I loved the old XCOM, so I was glad when I got OpenXCOM running on my linux laptop. Since I have played XCOM before, I chose veteran difficulty (one up from beginner). I realize I am not the strategymeister or anything, but every game I have tried starts with two UFOs then a terror attack where you get hit with 3 or 4 saucers and mind control before you've barely even finished researching the medkit.

I have yet to even survive one of these missions, despite having finished the original game in veteran ironman mode and using smoke, terrain, and anything else I could think of to even survive. If I wasn't already an XCOM fan, I would be deleting the game right now because it is more frustrating than fun, and I'm betting I'm not the only person who feels that way but didn't post on the forums.

I know a lot of people feel that XCOM is too easy, but since there are 3 more difficulty levels above normal I think it might be better to make the difficulty curve a little less vertical. I haven't tried beginner mode yet, but I hope it's at least playable, as I would really enjoy playing again.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
Re: Good stuff, but difficulty seems off
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:24:54 am »
I loved the old XCOM, so I was glad when I got OpenXCOM running on my linux laptop. Since I have played XCOM before, I chose veteran difficulty (one up from beginner). I realize I am not the strategymeister or anything, but every game I have tried starts with two UFOs then a terror attack where you get hit with 3 or 4 saucers and mind control before you've barely even finished researching the medkit.

I have yet to even survive one of these missions, despite having finished the original game in veteran ironman mode and using smoke, terrain, and anything else I could think of to even survive. If I wasn't already an XCOM fan, I would be deleting the game right now because it is more frustrating than fun, and I'm betting I'm not the only person who feels that way but didn't post on the forums.

I know a lot of people feel that XCOM is too easy, but since there are 3 more difficulty levels above normal I think it might be better to make the difficulty curve a little less vertical. I haven't tried beginner mode yet, but I hope it's at least playable, as I would really enjoy playing again.

Thanks,
Matt

Can't say that I've had the same problem, and I've started on "superhuman" a few times.   You can always abort the first terror mission :)  I've done this a few times until I thought my team could handle the cyberdiscs.  I usually make the points up by taking landed scouts or other non terror unit UFO's.   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:26:40 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 04:50:56 am »
One thing to remember, is that the original game had broken difficulty.  This means that no matter what you set it at, it would revert back to "easy."   OpenXcom's Veteran difficulty doesn't suffer from this and would be harder in comparison.

Now, to your specific problem: Sectoids and Cyberdisks are too hard for the first Terror mission.   This is just the luck of the draw.  The first terror mission can be floaters, and they are significantly easier.  If I see disks on the first mission, I have no problem aborting and living to fight another day.  Landing and aborting loses you far less points than simply ignoring them.  However, these critters can be defeated with vanilla gear.  At the start of the game, buy more rocket launchers, and more Large rockets.  By HE Packs.  Large Rockets and HE Packs can definitely take down the disks.  Play aggressive against the greys and you can panic them pretty good too.  If you find someone getting targeted, let them be your lightning rod.  Have them put their gear on the ground at the end of the turn (2 TUs) and if the enemy controls them, they are harmless.

Meridian's Super Human Hawaii Challenge series has textbook tactics for the early cyberdisk terror mission.  Three videos cover the mission starting here, if you would like to see him take these jokers apart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbxOJw0m6k&index=9&list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIhI8tBeYKHa_VoVYeVW67R

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline ubai

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 05:11:51 am »
Thank you for the videos I will be sure to watch them as I'm always looking to improve, and thanks also for the tips!

However, the point of my post is that one step up from beginner should not be quite so difficult. I imagine that a lot of people who are new to the game try to play at what they consider "normal" difficulty, then quickly abandon the game when all their soldiers get wiped.

This is one area where Firaxis' remake is better than the original, they have a good tutorial and they ease you into the game. I think OpenXCOM should consider doing the same. It should be optional, of course, but a tutorial option that uses a few scripted beginner missions before the game starts for real would probably attract and retain more players.

-Matt

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 05:14:29 am »
I abuse rocket launchers.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 06:01:18 am »
Yes, I agree.  OpenXcom is harder than the original.  The AI is better in OpenXcom too.  For example, more enemy in OpenXcom will be facing the craft than in the original.  Combine that with the an AI that doesn't mind using grenades, and well.. .you can get some really rough situations.

One thing OpenXcom is not, is an attempt to take lessons learned from the Firaxis remake.  i.e. the tutorial mission, etc.

At the same time, so many more tactical possibilities have been opened up with OpenXcom. Grenades that explode instantly for example... don't get started on mods.  Its a whole new ball game.  And yeah. Not one to use to try to get your friends into Xcom.  Unfortunately, its for the xcom vets who want a refreshed and more playable game.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:21 am »
Seriously? I always played the DOS Version with XcomUtil (which fixed the difficulty Bug and some other Bugs).

So the difference to OpenXcom isn't that big for me, since i always played on Superhuman. Which in the meantime i found to easy.

But since we can now Mod the game to the extend of our heart, we an make it even more difficult. Try some of the Mods from the "Other" Section of the Modportal,
the new Content and the increased difficulty will blow your mind, not to mention all those new Maps, Terrains etc..

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 01:39:41 pm »

It should be optional, of course, but a tutorial option that uses a few scripted beginner missions before the game starts for real would probably attract and retain more players.

-Matt

This is a....lets call it design premiss of the old school games, we had back in the day. I cant remember a single one of them giving the slightest idea on how to play the game, unless you read the 150+ Page manual (in many games that was the case, I am still having nightmares from the Caesar series, I had to read for a week) you were completely in the dark back there

Seriously? I always played the DOS Version with XcomUtil (which fixed the difficulty Bug and some other Bugs).

So the difference to OpenXcom isn't that big for me, since i always played on Superhuman. Which in the meantime i found to easy.

Difficulty level is a matter of taste and its up to the individual though, what you find easy I might find overtly complex and difficult to the point of ruining my fun. There is no standard in here except certain difficulty levels. Example are some games that litteraly take you by the hand and guide you.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:42:53 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:37:11 pm »
Has an LPer made an equivalent of a tutorial? That's a good compromise to having a tutorial mission. Heck, it could even provide a save of the geoscape for a demo on interception or base building, and a battlescape mission for a demo on different tactics.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 03:36:56 pm »
We have abandoned while ago Beginner Guide. If someone feels power to finish it - you're welcome!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 03:54:46 pm »
Has an LPer made an equivalent of a tutorial? That's a good compromise to having a tutorial mission. Heck, it could even provide a save of the geoscape for a demo on interception or base building, and a battlescape mission for a demo on different tactics.

My Let's Try Tutorial is a start at that. It doesn't go into all the strategies etc, and is mostly how to get your base up, and take on the first battle.  It wouldn't help with the Sectoid Terror Mission, that is why I recommended Meridian's videos. :)