aliens

Author Topic: [TFTD][game progression] TFTD: Evolution 1.14  (Read 90880 times)

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD][Weapons and armaments] TFTD Rework: Evolution 1.14
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2023, 11:51:06 pm »
Is that not the whole point of BAI? :P
Everything cand be abused, mark my words.
No single AI can ever beat savescum.

Offline Alpha Centauri Bear

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2023, 12:05:52 am »
Is that not the whole point of BAI? :P

I don't think so. The point of BAI is to introduce more intelligent opponent for tactical players rather than rush forward shooting standing (albeit tough) mannequin targets.

Everything has its limits. Including player patience. I don't see a point to crank difficulty even higher. Just ability to outsmart the smart AI should be enough satisfaction.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2023, 12:12:16 am »
The point of BAI is to introduce more intelligent opponent for tactical players...

...I don't see a point to crank difficulty even higher. Just ability to outsmart the smart AI should be enough satisfaction.
You've obviously not checked the early BAI test videos. Getting your men murdered by underwater aliens was more or less the goal. :P

Of course, yeah, you can use BAI for a more modest experience. But Xilmi's goal with this and other games has always been an AI that can make you cry because of how hard you're losing to it ;D while not looking like it's cheating at the same time. Pandora players complained quite a bit about how hard Xilmi's AI went after the smallest sign of weakness.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2023, 12:35:37 am »
I like AI to be strong and brutal. It would be fine for it to be unforgiving if this would be the only thing that stands between player and winning the game.
Unfortunately, X-Com already has quite a number of things capable of failing game without player direct mistakes. Like 3 countries sign an alliance, undetectable USOs early on, etc.
All things combined it would be a bad experience to fight all ground combat and then loose just because of some other reason. So it would probably be better to have 1000+ combats not absolute nightmarish.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2023, 07:17:24 pm »
Would anyone be interested if I add clear hints on alien resistances and vulnerabilities in autopsies? They are NOT visible anywhere in the game. Probably makes sense to uncover them by examination of (dead) alien armor.

On the same note, I am thinking about possible good vulnerability variety. Unfortunately, there are not many.
  • Melee. Very good vulnerability type. Alternative to shooting from afar.
  • Gauss/Sonic. Not good. I don't think it is nice to force player to carry both class of weapons just to kill specific alien.
  • Fire. Good in practice but in theory the fire damage is too low.
  • Explosives. Not bad for some. Like Tentaculat now has it but it should not be too used vulnerability. Explosives are already powerful.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 07:22:06 pm by Alpha Centauri Bear »