aliens

Author Topic: the only "pressing" bug that must be fixed  (Read 9229 times)

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
the only "pressing" bug that must be fixed
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:50:12 am »
There are a whole bunch of bugs and issues with the game right now but you'd expect those to be ironed out, sooner or later.

One bug however, is getting rather annoying.  It's not game-breaking but it's glaringly obvious.  Shooting any alien directly behind an opened ufo door, while you are diagonally adjacent to the alien outside the ufo, WILL GUARANTEE a miss.  Game won't say it's out of LOS, instead you will just keep shooting at the edge of the door.

There are other "pairs of squares with the opened doors in between" that also guarantees you shooting at the edge of the door instead of the of alien.  It's getting VERY annoying if you play ironman, where you always have to keep in mind which square NOT TO STEP onto.

Anyway I just hope to bring this issue to light.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: the only "pressing" bug that must be fixed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 07:29:54 am »
yeah, we used to give an error about that, and people complained. so which complaint do i listen to? are you using the nightly?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:16:28 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:18:44 am »
Well, I didnt know about the issue, because I dont use that angle... but I remember now that AI was always missing when shooting like that... and I thought how lucky I am, lol.

If it is indeed as described above, then it is a bug.

I would expect that it is possible to shoot, and hit, via that angle... thats what all the other people probably complained about previously... not only about the mesage.

If the internal mechanics of the game really dont allow to shoot via this angle at all... then please show the message. And dont allow aliens to use it either. Its not what I would expect, but still better than shoot and always miss.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 06:33:57 pm »
you people do no understand is not a bug, it's a feature!!!!!! :)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »
Very nice feature...Chance to hit 146%

Miss
Miss
Miss

Its like its trolling you. If a shot is impossible to hit due to LoS, Angles or obstacles that guarentee an 100% miss, then it should be giving you the notification and the only way to carry it out should be if you ticked the "overide option" or whatever its named, since it exists.

If that is no the case, then at least give the actuall 0% chance to hit so you can troll yourself should you wish. I am not criticising, but common logic.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:20:59 pm by pilot00 »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:00:16 am »
Well i presume that, this has todo with the "Bullet" originating, at a specific fixed position, which will then hit the wall, despsite having a line of sight and Line of Fire.

So basically the bullet origin needs to take into account what is the possible Line of Sight and from the Line of Sight, the possible Line of Fire, which do not run into Object.
And fire along this line, you wil still miss probably, because it is a hard shot, especially those angles mentioned, but at least you would have the posibility to hit.
There also some other situations were you are proned to miss. Try hitting a alien behind a 1 level building or UFO, with a soldier from the 2 level.
You wil miss always, even thou you have Line of Sight and can shoot. You will mis no matter what even with 10000% hit chance.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 01:03:26 am »
Accuracy != Hit Chance

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 01:37:05 am »
Accuracy != Hit Chance

Then out of curiosity what is it?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 01:38:57 am »
It's not the topic... the reported issue is that the openxcom chooses an "ideal trajectory ray" that passes through an obstacle. So, in case of success, and if the random deviation is not sufficient to avoid the obstacle, the shot hits it instead of the intended target.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 03:09:30 pm »
It's not the topic... the reported issue is that the openxcom chooses an "ideal trajectory ray" that passes through an obstacle. So, in case of success, and if the random deviation is not sufficient to avoid the obstacle, the shot hits it instead of the intended target.

Well they are both kinda related.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 03:55:57 pm »
I see your point ... but even if the actual hit chance was computed and displayed, it would show something odd and unwanted : in this situation, the higher the accuracy, the lower the hit chance (because the 'hit cone' of a successful shot is 100% in the wall).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 04:18:59 pm »
And we go back to volutar's proposition to fix the aiming.. whatever happened to that any ways?

If fixing the aiming algorithm is beyond what is desired for a faithful XCom remake, having the "No line of fire" message pop-up would at least remove the frustration at being told a shot can be made when it actually can't.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 06:56:25 pm »
Well i guess volutars aming fix would be what takes care of all those things.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 07:29:03 pm »
But if I remember well, that "discussion" ended with Warboy saying that for OpenXCom to be faithful, it had to have XCom aiming mechanics, not some fancy stuff volutar suggested. Which is why I suggested a smaller fix in displaying the "no line of fire" message for impossible shots instead of letting the player figure it out.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 08:15:39 pm »
In any case, here's the viewpoint for a unit (a XCOM soldier in my case) standing diagonal to an other, with a wooden wall "in-between". The observer is looking at the top of the screen.
The obstruction is much larger than I thought.
(I used a second viewpoint, without wall, to determine the complete soldier's silhouette).