aliens

Author Topic: Nightly Installation over V1.0  (Read 6808 times)

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
Nightly Installation over V1.0
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »
Sorry for such a simple question.  But even after plowing through all the instructions I cannot install nightly's version.  Or should I say I don't know if I have installed it at all.  Could somebody please explain in layman's terms how to install nightly over a normal v1.0 game?

Specs are: Win7; normal V1.0 installed using installer (game runs fine);  No mods.

I am quite desperate as my savegame seems to result in a game freeze during the first turn of the next battlescape mission, no matter what I do.  I was hoping the nightly build would fix it but it didn't.  Either I didn't install it properly ... or I have a savegame that guarantees a crash.  And I would love to email it to anybody here to wants to pull it apart and see what is causing the freeze.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Nightly Installation over V1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:58:42 pm »
Well, usually, there is not »installing« for downloaded nightlies for windows. you can, however, backup the old 1.0 version (I for one, recommend that strongly!), and then replace the old folder with the new one. So just rename the old folder to Foldername + »old« or something, name the decompressed folder from the nightly into the original name of the old folder and place it where the old folder was before.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:02:51 pm »
A game freeze on battlescape sounds more like a map problem, than a Nightly problem.  It also could involve custom mods.

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:06:36 pm »
So just rename the old folder to Foldername + »old« or something, name the decompressed folder from the nightly into the original name of the old folder and place it where the old folder was before.

4 questions:

1)  V1.0 installation directory is set here C:\Program Files\OpenXcom  so this is where I unzip?
2)  In the zip file there is a folder called TFTD, but I only play Enemy Unknown ... unzip TFTD folder and leave it there?
3)  In the zip file there is a folder called UFO.  Inside the folder is a readme.txt which gives further instructions ... should I follow these further instructions?
It says "Copy all the UFO: Enemy Unknown / X-COM: UFO Defense subfolders to this directory"
4)  Where should I upload this buggy savegame for you guys to dissect?

A game freeze on battlescape sounds more like a map problem, than a Nightly problem.  It also could involve custom mods.
No, mine is just a vanilla V1.0 game with no mods, no hex-editing, no nothing.  The problem even exist if I load a savegame in Geoscape BEFORE the mission begins (with save-spamming option turned off)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:25:21 pm by hellblade »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:25:14 pm »
1)  V1.0 installation directory is set here C:\Program Files\OpenXcom  so this is where I unzip?
I would rename the original folder first, but then decompress exactly where the old one was. Should work well.
2)  In the zip file there is a folder called TFTD, but I only play Enemy Unknown ... unzip TFTD folder and leave it there?
If you want to use TFTD (is that already possible?), yes. otherwise, it's not needed for UFO defense, so you can as well, leave it empty.
3)  In the zip file there is a folder called UFO.  Inside the folder is a readme.txt which gives further instructions ... should I follow these further instructions?
Sure.
4)  Where should I upload this buggy savegame for you guys to dissect?
How about here? If it's to big, put in a zip. Look at the »+« before »Attachments and other options«. =)

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:28:50 pm »
Thank you both of you, so much.  Attached the savegame.

To describe the problem in more detail.  After ending my first turn.  The game never leaves the "hidden movement" screen.  Does not matter how long I wait, after all the moving, shooting sounds have died down, it just stays on that screen.  Music continues.  I can even click on the "menu" button and load a game from there so the game is not completely frozen.

Also, reloading a savegame in Geoscape (just prior to the mission) creates the same bug IF and ONLY IF I turn off save-spamming.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:30:23 pm by hellblade »

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:10:38 pm »
You have undead Muton engineer in UFO :). It seems blast from UFO Engine not enough to kill him, but game still consider him about to dead. Funny bug.
Meantime in sav file status of this Muton is 5 (STATUS_COLLAPSING) (normally he should be already STATUS_DEAD, 6 or STATUS_UNCONSCIOUS, 7).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:18:47 pm by winterheart »

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 10:23:24 pm »
Here your fixed savegame

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 08:39:09 am »
Thank you, not only did you fix it.  More importantly, you taught me how to fix future similar bugs.