aliens

Author Topic: Advent - A new X-Com game?  (Read 48547 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Advent - A new X-Com game?
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2015, 07:47:41 pm »
Ahh... so the Hobbes on 2K forums, UFOpaedia and here are the same person?

Interesting! I never bothered to ask. :P

Miss editing the ol' EU2012 wiki with you; not much to do nowadays, other than Long War stuff.

And I'm also the Hobbes in Strategycore.co.uk and on the subreddit /r/Xcom/ :)

Well, pretty soon it will be time to start building the XCOM2 section on the UFOPaedia

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »
And by the way, Hobbes: I really appreciate your enthusiasm and support for all things XCOM.  Thank you for your role in sustaining the legacy.  The community is far richer because of you!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2015, 08:18:20 pm »
The first place I've learnt about Hobbes was actually FanFiction.net :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2015, 09:28:16 pm »
The first place I've learnt about Hobbes was actually FanFiction.net :)

Same here, I'm still a big fan. :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2015, 09:32:10 pm »
And Yes, Hobbes! I'm still working on it!  Hope to make better progress this summer.  On Ch 5 right now. :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2015, 10:30:40 pm »
I've read this many years ago. Probably the best XCom fanfic out there.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:32 pm »
Well, thanks guys, the previous messages kinda overwhelmed me :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2015, 09:47:14 pm »
Well, I guess we all have different playstyles.. I played the game with mostly rifles as I disliked the small range of the shotgun in maps that are built to have open ground, the inability of heavies to hit anything and the immobility of snipers (did enjoy snap shot + In the Zone though!).

I always prefered a team mainly based around 3 Shotgun Assaults. Builds with Close & Personal and Rapid fire could dish out so much damage...
Inthezone snipers are awesome!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2015, 06:13:58 pm »
I had one of those assaults, but found I usually only needed one. Another assault with a rifle as a medium range damage dealer, a healer support, a covering fire support, a sniper and a heavy with HEAT ammo once I got the 6th slot.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2015, 07:04:28 pm »
I used to rely a lot on Assaults but it also got a lot of them killed through run and gun dashes that ended up activating more aliens.

But now my favorite classes are Sniper and Support, especially with Training Roulette activated. Once I get either Battlescanner or Ghost Grenade then I use them to set up overwatch traps for the aliens (sometimes even killing all 3 aliens in a pod with reaction fire when they activate) or just plain ambushes.

I use also Assaults/Heavies on certain maps/missions but this is my favorite setup:
* Support with Lightning Reflexes, Sprinter and Battlescanner
* Support with Field Medic, etc.
* Support with Grenadier and Deep Pockets
* Support with Bullet Swarm
* 2 Snipers, one Snap Shot, the other Squadsight, both with Opportunist and/or Sentinel/Rapid Reaction

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2015, 07:59:49 pm »
I was going to do a game with training roulette, but then I decided I'd do another vanilla game first, now that I knew the vanilla builds I liked, and I never finished that one... Some skills are much better on different classes than the ones they come with originally.. Battlescanner would be a great support skill, instead of giving it to a sniper, for example.

One question though: How did you manage to kill many aliens with reaction fire? My soldiers always fired all at the same time on the first alien to be seen moving, which meant they blew it to pieces and then blew the pieces to oblivion, but the alien's two friends were left unscathed. That was one of the most frustrating thing about the remake, compared to the old XCom where soldiers fire one by one.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2015, 07:14:49 am »
One question though: How did you manage to kill many aliens with reaction fire? My soldiers always fired all at the same time on the first alien to be seen moving, which meant they blew it to pieces and then blew the pieces to oblivion, but the alien's two friends were left unscathed. That was one of the most frustrating thing about the remake, compared to the old XCom where soldiers fire one by one.

Snipers with Sentinel and Rapid Reaction, plus placing soldiers in locations where they can only see the aliens after they activate and run for cover. When the cloak wears off, set those units on overwatch then you throw a grenade to reduce their HP and activate them and a lot of reaction firing  ensues.

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2015, 02:43:25 pm »
The game looks cool enough, and I dig the snakewoman. I suppose I enjoyed XCOM 2012, but I only played through it once with the Enemy Within expansion.

We will have to wait until the game's release to really determine if XCOM 2 is simply more of the same, or something special in its own right.

In either case, I sure as hell will not be paying full price for it, or for any game, for that matter.