Author Topic: Advent - A new X-Com game?  (Read 48535 times)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Advent - A new X-Com game?
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:50:08 pm »
Announced by 2K Games. Not much is revealed ATM.

Teaser site:

https://www.adventfuture.org/

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: Advent - A new X-Com game?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »
Wow, that was freaky...Is it a new game or a continuation of the 2012 x-com? That ended on cliffhanger.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:43:30 pm »
Looks more as remake of classic Syndicate game to me. But 2k don't owns IP for that...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:47:52 pm »

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:24:46 pm »
This starts to look more and more like a second invasion.

Time to kick xeno butt... again.

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 05:41:08 pm »
Or a remake with some elements of Apocolypse? The setting was always good, even if the weird real time vs. turn based thing kind of screwed things up.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 03:00:55 am »
Or a remake with some elements of Apocolypse? The setting was always good, even if the weird real time vs. turn based thing kind of screwed things up.

The pics I have seen from the city, dont look at like what mega primus would look like in a modern game though. I hope it aint that to be honest. Apocalypse had its own unique theme, history and time frame in the series and I hope they just leave it at that. Now a sequel on the obviously unresolved first war would be welcome.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 03:25:40 am »
the obviously unresolved first war

Uh?!  :o What did I miss? You go to cydonia (or the.. whatever the name of that big ship is in the remake), kill the big brain (or the big ethereal) and come home, finish off the stragglers and everybody's happy unless the fish learn how to breathe. No?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 08:00:56 am »
Uh?!  :o What did I miss? You go to cydonia (or the.. whatever the name of that big ship is in the remake), kill the big brain (or the big ethereal) and come home, finish off the stragglers and everybody's happy unless the fish learn how to breathe. No?

Solomon has stated that the Volunteer doesn't die at the end sequence but added nothing about what happened to him when the Temple Ship was destroyed.

My opinion is that the Temple Ship was both a test and a trap, for the aliens to capture a human specimen if they proved the special species that they were looking for.

Offline Rinnai

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 11:07:33 am »
Solomon has stated that the Volunteer doesn't die at the end sequence but added nothing about what happened to him when the Temple Ship was destroyed.

My opinion is that the Temple Ship was both a test and a trap, for the aliens to capture a human specimen if they proved the special species that they were looking for.

Ugh, now I remember why I never bothered to finish NuXCOM - railroading a "one true way" of playing the game plus a retarded attempt to tell a convoluted and shallow story when it wasn't necessary.

That said, Long War and Enemy Within made the game tolerable for me. Though it's a shame it took a free mod, and a DLC with stuff that should've already been included in 2012, to do this.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 01:22:02 pm »

It not like that. You destroy the ship, you theoritically dont know what happened to the valunteer (the only other being in the galaxy to have reached etherial level psionics), the strike force returns to x-com base and....thats it. No cydonia, what happens to the rest of the alliens, what happens to earth as a whole because this time around they were awhare of the alien invasion from the start and the aftermath of the invasion, everything is a cliffhunger (theoritically).

Ugh, now I remember why I never bothered to finish NuXCOM - railroading a "one true way" of playing the game plus a retarded attempt to tell a convoluted and shallow story when it wasn't necessary.

That said, Long War and Enemy Within made the game tolerable for me. Though it's a shame it took a free mod, and a DLC with stuff that should've already been included in 2012, to do this.

Havent played long war, but what did enemy within do storywise to make things better? I didnt find the story convulted at all to be honest. In fact for me it was more clarified than the original, because it "served" you the "conclusion" fully in the end when the etherial spoke to you. Unlike the original where you got it bit by bit and had to do much thinking.  The only thing left unanswerd in the 2012 version is weather there is another entity above the etherials or not.

How much you wanna bet that he/she "ascended"?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:34:55 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 03:15:20 pm »
How much you wanna bet that he/she "ascended"?

How much do you tie all of this with the events on the Bureau?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 09:35:08 pm »

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 01:25:29 am »
Wow...  the Advent way...  must join...  must sign up....  We will follow..... 

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 01:59:59 am »
How much do you tie all of this with the events on the Bureau?

I really would hope no, since I havent even tried that abomination and I have no idea of its story line. From your link though the hype seems to be about an x-com 2.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:02:01 am by pilot00 »