aliens

Author Topic: Puppy Linux thtr  (Read 13103 times)

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Puppy Linux thtr
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:14:05 pm »
I'm using the most recent version of puppy linux on a netbook. 6.0.3. Problem is I am overall new to linux computing and I am more used to ubuntu based system. I'm currently playing the version 1.0 of the game perfectly well on this computer. And it is awesome. But, with TFTD getting close I wish to start using the nightly builds. Is anyone familiar with compiling those build on puppy linux? As long as I know this os dosent use sudo commands so I got a hard time finding how to do it.
Any help would be really appreciated. Also since this is my first post on this forum I need to add this.

This is the most awesome game porting/enhancing project since the jDoom. >(for me)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy Linux thtr
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:36:02 pm »
Hopefully this works on your OS too..

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Compiling_with_CMake_%28OpenXcom%29#End-to-end_example

You can download the code and compile it in any directory you want, so just pick one where you have all the permissions and you won't need sudo. I created a XCom directory in my home directory, with subdirectories in which I compile and keep my different builds.

Make sure you also install the requirements (which.. might require sudo, now that I think of it).

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 06:45:28 pm »
I found that page :P. My problem is I have next to no idea about how or even where I need to type those commands within my OS.  URXVT seems to be my OS terminal but any kind of commands I know of ends up with the same feedback. command not found. X_X

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:53 pm »
If only somebody could compile .deb packages for us XD.

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:14:20 pm »
Might as well leave the specs. Im using a 5 years old HP Mini netbook with 1 gb of ram. Currently running Puppy Tahr with LXDE desktop last version.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:42:16 pm »
No promises, but typing /usr/bin/bash in Puppy's shell should start a bash shell, which should be more familiar.

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:07:45 pm »
Thanks. Seems like the bash shell is indeed not enabled by default. Im looking it up google lets hope for the best.

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:11:47 pm »
Seems like I was already at the right place. The commands are simply different than what ubuntu based distros used me to. Ill try fix it up for myself and then if I suceed ill post how i did it.

Offline GreyManNo2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 12:44:16 pm »
I don't know if this will help but IIRC Puppy Linux has sh as its default.

Check this wika:
https://puppylinux.org/wikka/Shell

Common shells found in Puppy Linux

sh is the default shell, which in 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 is ash or bash
(In 1.0.6, SHELL seems to point to bash, but the command line seems to nevertheless default to ash.)

ash is the simplified BusyBox version of bash (BusyBox v0.60.5 in 1.0.6)

Bash Bash has become a de facto standard for shell scripting on all flavors of UNIX.
The bash is GNU bash 3.00.0(1) in 1.0.6.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 05:04:25 pm »
Well, the basic commands (e. g. »cd« oder »mkdir«) should work just the same, as long as you use bash. However, for »apt-get« and so on, should have a similar pendant, as long as you have some sort of package managing software installed. As well as there should be similar packages for your distro. I'm not entirely sure, but maybe you first need to install build essentials, before you can use cmake or ccmake. As well as you probably will have to install git, first. The zip-file on the git-sources-page would work as well, for that matter.

Offline Leprechaun

• Sergeant
  • Linux Mint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 06:34:48 pm »
Seems like I was already at the right place. The commands are simply different than what ubuntu based distros used me to. Ill try fix it up for myself and then if I suceed ill post how i did it.
I did get it running just last night, although I am using Linux Mint, which is an Ubuntu derivative. Suggestions:

1) Start from the Installing wiki at https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_%28OpenXcom%29 Go to the Installing Dependencies paragraph and enter the code below it.
2) Per that document, and assuming you haven't defined any environment variables, your User folder and your Data folder will be the same, i.e. /home/<username>/.local/share/openxcom (That's fine, I only mention it because you will need to know where it is.) Per the document, first copy your game files to that directory from wherever you have them. Only the ones specified. Then you need the Latest Patch, which you unzip and overwrite the files you just copied.
3) Download the source code from https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom.git Unzip it to whatever directory you want. I used /home/<username>/.local/share/openxcom/source, but you choose what you want.
4) Next see Compiling with CMAKE https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Compiling_with_CMake_%28OpenXcom%29 Open a terminal. From here, I can't be much help. My first time using cmake was last night. Follow the "End-to-end" example as best you can.
5) Open a terminal window. Make a "bin" directory, if you don't already have one. Change to the bin directory. Create a script to run the game. Here's the code for the above:
mkdir bin
cd bin
vi openxcom.bash
i (for insert mode)
#!/bin/bash
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
$HOME/bin/OpenXcom/bin/openxcom -data $HOME/bin/OpenXcom/share/openxcom/UFO

ESC key : wq! (To exit insert mode, save your changes, and exit the editor.)

6) From the terminal, type chmod 755 openxcom.bash
7) That's it. Any time you want to play, you open a terminal window and type openxcom.bash

OK, this is a work very much in progress, since I only got it working last night. But there is no need for sudo or anything else that isn't standard to all version of Linux I have used. Feel free to le tme know if you need more help.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile

Offline Leprechaun

• Sergeant
  • Linux Mint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 02:22:59 pm »
Use ppas from Launchpad, mine or knapsu:

https://code.launchpad.net/~winterheart/+archive/ubuntu/openxcom
https://launchpad.net/~knapsu/+archive/ubuntu/openxcom-beta
Winterheart, I assume you are offering a PPA of the latest nightly? If so, I can at least help with testing, if nothing else.

Offline Leprechaun

• Sergeant
  • Linux Mint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 03:12:45 am »
Use ppas from Launchpad, mine or knapsu:
OK, I must be missing something. I tried it. I attempted to launch from the menu, but nothing happens. Then I went looking for an executable, but I can't find it.
Code: [Select]
sudo find / -name openxcom -print
Is Vanna available to sell me a clue?

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 08:19:29 am »
which ppa do you use?

EDIT: Anyway, both ppa uses same options. Your binary should be in /usr/games/, data-files should be placed to /usr/share/games/openxcom/UFO/ and /usr/share/games/openxcom/TFTD/.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:28:36 am by winterheart »