aliens

Author Topic: I cannot figure out how to install mods  (Read 16049 times)

Offline KaptainKommando

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
I cannot figure out how to install mods
« on: May 17, 2015, 04:07:59 am »
Hey all,

New to Xcom. I saw someone play it on YouTube and thought it looked interesting so I gave it a try. So I've gotten the game to work just fine, but I've been trying to install the UFO Redux mod (that's what the person on YouTube was playing and said it was highly recommended as it fixes a lot of the original games bugs) but, for the life of me, I just can't figure it out. All the guides I have found say to put the extracted files folder into the OpenXcom mod directory. The problem is that there is no mod directory (I am using Ubuntu 15.04, so it's /usr/share/openxcom/). The only thing in the openxcom folder is data/. I've tried making a mods directory both in openxcom/ and data/ and I've also just tried copying the mod folder directly into both and it never shows up in the mods screen in-game. Since I'm on Ubuntu I installed the game using the PPA so it's the 1.0.2 release if I remember correctly. I've really enjoyed the game thus far even if it is brutally difficult at times (so far my soldiers have a habit of being sniped from unexplored areas and dying in one shot. I've probably lost a dozen that way). Any and all help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:09:51 am by KaptainKommando »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: I cannot figure out how to install mods
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 04:20:36 am »
Hey all,

New to Xcom. I saw someone play it on YouTube and thought it looked interesting so I gave it a try. So I've gotten the game to work just fine, but I've been trying to install the UFO Redux mod (that's what the person on YouTube was playing and said it was highly recommended as it fixes a lot of the original games bugs) but, for the life of me, I just can't figure it out. All the guides I have found say to put the extracted files folder into the OpenXcom mod directory. The problem is that there is no mod directory (I am using Ubuntu 15.04, so it's /usr/share/openxcom/). The only thing in the openxcom folder is data/. I've tried making a mods directory both in openxcom/ and data/ and I've also just tried copying the mod folder directly into both and it never shows up in the mods screen in-game.

I'm not a user of Linux, but this might help: you need to locate the OpenXcom folder where the saved games and screenshots are stored and it should contain a /mods subfolder there.

Since I'm on Ubuntu I installed the game using the PPA so it's the 1.0.2 release if I remember correctly. I've really enjoyed the game thus far even if it is brutally difficult at times (so far my soldiers have a habit of being sniped from unexplored areas and dying in one shot. I've probably lost a dozen that way). Any and all help is appreciated.

Everyone's soldiers have a habit of dying like you describe :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 04:38:36 am »
The presence of a /data folder may mean that the aren't using a recent nightly.   

Kommando did you install version 1.0 (from June of 2014) or a more recent (After May 7, 2015) nightly build? 

The structure for the mods has recently changed to help support upcoming Terror from the Deep, so that may be where some of the confusion is coming from.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 04:45:14 am »
yeah, if you have a data folder after installation, you're installing 1.0, not the recent nightly.  Check out this post for how to install mods: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3617.msg44187.html#msg44187

On linux, your user folder will be $HOME/.local/share/openxcom.  Check out https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom#linux for details.

Offline KaptainKommando

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:22:38 am »
yeah, if you have a data folder after installation, you're installing 1.0, not the recent nightly.  Check out this post for how to install mods: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3617.msg44187.html#msg44187

On linux, your user folder will be $HOME/.local/share/openxcom.  Check out https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom#linux for details.

According to my package manager it is version 1.0.2, so not the nightly.

The presence of a /data folder may mean that the aren't using a recent nightly.   

Kommando did you install version 1.0 (from June of 2014) or a more recent (After May 7, 2015) nightly build? 

The structure for the mods has recently changed to help support upcoming Terror from the Deep, so that may be where some of the confusion is coming from.

No mods folder in $HOME/.local/share/openxcom. I'll grab the latest nightly and start compiling it. If I have any issues I'll post them here. Thanks for the help so far.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 05:50:24 am »
ok -- keep in mind, though, that the mods folder gets created when you start openxcom for the first time.  it won't appear just from make install

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 06:44:06 am »
Yeah go to the downloads portion of the site and download the nightly. Extract the nightly to the OpenXcom folder itself, overwriting anything it asks about. Once that's done, erase the data folder. This is because your raw UFO defense files now go into the UFO folder within OpenXcom. This is because the TFDT files and UFOD files have portions that simply aren't compatible so they had to be separated instead of being lumped altogether into the data folder. I don't run Linux but others here do and they've told you where to look for your save files (which is where your mods folder goes now).

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:12:22 am »
According to my package manager it is version 1.0.2, so not the nightly.
I think you installed Openxcom from this PPA. It has been compiled on 15.03.2015, so it's a bit older version. Data structure has changed recently (2-3 weeks ago) and PPA hasn't been updated (yet). You could try the nightly builds, but you would have to run them through Wine or something similar. For the moment I see 2 choices:

• Wait for PPA update (don't know when it may happen)
  • Recommended by me ;): comile the sources yourself. First, install through Synaptic required packages, which are listed on this page. For compilation I suggest cmake, so in short:
Code: [Select]
git clone https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom.git
cd OpenXcom
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
    the program will be in Openxcom/build/bin

Offline KaptainKommando

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:24 am »
Okay, finally got everything working! Compiled the nightly and was able to install UFO Redux. Thanks for the help guys!

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:25 am »
Excellent :D You are most welcome. Enjoy the war!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 07:16:45 pm »