Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Battle For Mars v0.4.1  (Read 61175 times)

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Building mars
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 02:04:36 pm »
This actually looks kind of cool.  Are you going to make a conversion mod based off this?  That'd be really cool ^^

That's the plan  :) work has stated already on new weapons, the spacesuit is pretty much done as well.

Verify that there are no blank spaces between all polygons by looking at their edges.

Any ideas when you're planning to release it? I'd like to see how it looks on world editor.

Ive learnt a great deal over the last week about world.dat editing, every vertex has to be attached to another vertex and if its just attached to say another triangle side line then you get little errors (however I dare say you already know that) Perhaps it might be time for some tutorials for others not so in the know.

Anyway im hoping to release a v0.1 Saturday night ish, that will include

-Mars globe with regions  8)
-Basic human weapons with ufopedia
-Standard Mars trooper

so people can have a look round and try some battles with the new stuff. 

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 03:04:15 pm »
Anyway im hoping to release a v0.1 Saturday night ish, that will include

-Mars globe with regions  8)
-Basic human weapons with ufopedia
-Standard Mars trooper

so people can have a look round and try some battles with the new stuff.

Good to hear :)

I want to look at the globe to start thinking about the terrains to be used in the textures.

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 03:51:45 pm »
For my tc I think I will only get to 3 or 4 different terrains, flat, rocky , flat with craters and industrial for terror sites. Thinking prefab buildings, solor arrays etc, oh and rocks for scenery.

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Battle For Mars v0.1
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 07:27:36 pm »
Front page has been updated  8)

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2015, 08:40:05 pm »
Also: there is a War of Shadows mod that takes place on Mars. Maybe you guys could join your forces?

Actually War of Shadows pretty much mirrors vanilla xcom when it comes to the planet. I do want to remake the final base on mars, but that's it. I have to say, this is a good idea for a conversion as it really leverages the game engine but gives us a fresh environment to think about.

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 08:53:05 pm »
Actually War of Shadows pretty much mirrors vanilla xcom when it comes to the planet. I do want to remake the final base on mars, but that's it. I have to say, this is a good idea for a conversion as it really leverages the game engine but gives us a fresh environment to think about.

It was a few years ago when I first planned this but I was thinking along the lines of, what if. what if I was given the tools after TFTD and asked to make a game with the engine, not necessarily a sequel but a new iso strategy along the same lines.   

Offline b.o.s domestic disputes

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 06:09:14 pm »
hey have you ever thought of spliting the geoscape and making islands in the form of space stations between earth and mars if  the planets could just be large portions of land  shrunken representations of them normal some kind of two planet campaign

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 06:25:22 pm »
hey have you ever thought of spliting the geoscape and making islands in the form of space stations between earth and mars if  the planets could just be large portions of land  shrunken representations of them normal some kind of two planet campaign

Curiously, this is kind of how Piratez were supposed to be like at first - a whole cluster of space with multiple systems/planets implemented. But due to technical issues with that, a future Earth was used instead, and that's how the idea of playing on a post-war, alien-occupied Earth originated.

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 08:36:06 pm »

An intriguing idea, but beyond the scope of what I have planned also the geoscape would have to be recoded considerably.

All in all to much for 1 person todo in reality, 1 planet is more than enough for me todo  ;)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 10:25:40 pm »
An intriguing idea, but beyond the scope of what I have planned also the geoscape would have to be recoded considerably.

All in all to much for 1 person todo in reality, 1 planet is more than enough for me todo  ;)

I could imagine the difficulty.  I've also had ideas of making a XCOM version that involves patrolling the solar system.  That's what I would expect out of "sequel" to go beyond just earth and have to fight off the aliens across the solar system.  I know that would have to be a huge amount of working doing a "Spacescape" with possible multiple "Planetscapes".

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 06:54:24 pm »
Some good progress has been made  8)

V0.2 is nearly done!
 1. Globe code wise is complete -alien mission zones, countries, outposts and other important structures are in
 2. New tile set and the first 10 maps of the first terrain pack are done(ish)
 3. The game runs without ctd's and is reasonable playable against stock ufo aliens

Im rather happy with hows things are going, a fair bit will need tweaking in the future but still, small steps  :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 07:25:05 pm »
Very nice. Looks a bit C-64ish :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:40:25 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Battle For Mars v0.2
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 06:03:37 pm »
New update released, check the first post!

Offline pjlasl

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 12:34:49 am »
This looks awesome. Going to download to give it a spin.

What I always wanted as the ability to merge UFO and TFTD This way if you crash landed a ship over water, you could send the triton in.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 03:02:38 pm »
So you are designing/building a sequel to Earth defense  :o  :)