Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Battle For Mars v0.4.1  (Read 61484 times)

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Building mars
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 08:20:01 pm »
HA! Have been very tempted making my Mars half terraformed  ;D When I started making this, editing world.dat was still kinda new and I started off with BB's grid world as a base but im working on it and adding more triangles and textures to blend it all in more, after looking at the dune mod's globe and saying WOW im going to have to knuckle down and get editing!

I will have a look at the War of shadows mod, however for my mod/tc I did a lot of writing back in the day and would like to see it all come alive so to speak!

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 03:23:18 pm »
Been working more on my mars globe, think im getting the hang of it now! still abit blocky in a few parts but im still working away atm.

No textures yet, but im working on them now. Also my first draft if you like on the space suit!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 03:50:20 pm »
Nice progress!

But.. the suits?! OMG Space naturists! Maybe if you change the color of the fabric part of the suits to something like orange, or make the whole body white, that would work better? Something like one of these

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 04:06:41 pm »
Thank you  :)

The thinking behind the suits was armoured torso and helmet in one while the rest of the suit is normal fabric. Kinda like the marines from "space above and beyond" ahem..

The problem comes with the sheer amount of arm and legs sprites, I have to be reasonable and not want to repaint every single one, at least not right now otherwise I run the risk of not getting anything else done.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 04:09:48 pm »
I don't think the colour looks like human skin, but I agree it can be made crispier. :)

How about taking come design cues from UFO: Afterlight?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 04:23:42 pm »
Maybe I'm the only weirdo that thought they looked naked.. Must come from Piratez where it's not unusual for the gals to show skin ;)

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 04:26:26 pm »
The colours are the same as the standard xcom boiler suit/overall etc

Offline Kosti

• Squaddie
  • X-Com forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 08:36:38 pm »
Fantastic idea indeed to do Mars! The planet (and terraforming it) always was and is close to my heart! Even had to register on the forum to comment this! Hopefully we will see the Mars-mod soon enough! :D

That said other planets would be good too. Already noticed a topic about desert planet on the forums. ^^ After all, who could blame a person for looking for a bit of chance after all the years serving the X-Com on the home planet?

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 09:42:45 pm »
Ive been playing around making some textures for my Globe, seem abit busy so not 100% on them myself, making textures is not really my strong point and add to the fact that your 32x32 has to tile nicely.

Any buddying artists out there with any tips?

Hey Kosti, might be something mars like in the near future  ;)

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 07:22:26 pm »
I decided to go down a different route for texturing mars, I (Thanks Warboy) have been changing the entrys in the palette.dat to suit my needs.

Still work in progress, but I think this could work rather well

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 07:37:49 pm »
Just be sure that you provide those files and instructions to use them, if/when ever you decide to package and share this.

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 07:51:23 pm »
Im working my way to version v0.1, the plan is a tc, a small to medium one anyway. Once things are abit more complete I will explain what im up to. Weapon sprites and just finishing the globe to do as of now.

It seems in this community people are happy to share there work with others, I will be continuing this so don't worry.

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 09:32:22 pm »
My nearly completed Globe..

The white blob on right hand side is mt Olympus, might make some custom tiles just for landmarks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:34:09 pm by liberation »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 03:00:34 am »
This actually looks kind of cool.  Are you going to make a conversion mod based off this?  That'd be really cool ^^

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 07:54:53 am »
Any buddying artists out there with any tips?

Verify that there are no blank spaces between all polygons by looking at their edges.

Any ideas when you're planning to release it? I'd like to see how it looks on world editor.