aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3688968 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99I1 - 26 Dec - Spirit of Christmas
« Reply #5325 on: March 02, 2018, 09:18:10 pm »
The early game is the most fun, it becomes too grindy for me later!
I hate early game, it dont really start for me until ive got Tac Armor and my codex flagship going. Everything before that is just intro that I look forward to skipping.

In my previous playthroughs I havent ever finished Higher Studies though, for what its worth. Was entering year 4 in one playthrough.

I don't want "Lootbox"es in this game. That's an ass idea
I think its extraordinarily fun though, as long as its not abused. In this game it isnt, but then again the Data Disk can be savescummed to get something nice almost every time you use one and there are Alot of valuable techs in the Data Disk (and it only takes 1 day to use it... I got this idea when a data disk gave me Uranium Weapons Documentation on year 1 month 3... I figured if it could give me that then it could give alot of other useful stuff when I needed it).

Since there are not lootboxes and the RNG is already unkind enough, having them in this one particular scenario, at the somewhat high cost that they would come at, means they would be a worthwhile addition rather than a defining aspect of the game. You'd have to chew through all of Jack's lunchboxes prior to that just to get to that point... This is a Year 3 sorta deal.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: March 03, 2018, 11:02:47 am »
I hate early game, it dont really start for me until ive got Tac Armor and my codex flagship going. Everything before that is just intro that I look forward to skipping.

For me the beginning is the most fun. No overwhelming micro and macro management. No overwhelming mess at reasearch lab. A lot of tension durning missions beacause of no armor and solid weapons.
Later on its up side down. Overwhelming micro and macro management. Overwhelming mess at reasearch lab. Limited tension durning missions beacause of armor and solid weapons.

Sometimes, when I have that hour or two for playing, I go for another game because I am so far in my current Piratez play that there is too much management.

niculinux

« Reply #5327 on: March 03, 2018, 10:16:17 pm »
Really depends on game style. If don't wan heavy micromanagement throw away stuff you do not neef and keep only what you want  :)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: March 04, 2018, 12:05:08 pm »
We talk about a game that is supposed to be hard. All the management involved is caused by the massive amount of content used in the mod.
Ofc it's tedious to build 1x Annihilator Suit but if you don't feel like taking notes first, there's a "streamlined" mod to help you doing it more comfy.

Early game is "Go big or go home" you either net good results or severe slow down your progress. Depending on difficult at one point random crackdown missions will start and you either go lucky and they overlook your hideout or get ready to fight Star Gods 18 months in the campaign (my experience with red codex on Jack Sparrow difficulty)

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: March 04, 2018, 10:41:29 pm »
Does "Fried fish" and "Crab dips" are going to be a thing anytime?  ;D

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: March 05, 2018, 03:05:53 am »
Maybe when aquariums become a thing, and that probably won't be until aquatoids start showing up for real instead of just being a Bootypedia article.

Offline lancev

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: March 05, 2018, 01:19:57 pm »
After pretty much exactly one year I decided to start a new game.
Some things I noticed:

Is it intended that the Loknar pilots get such a huge dodge bonus? If you put a max-level Loknar in a Jetbike you get an invincible tank (although there seems to be a tiny chance that they are still hit, maybe the chance cannot go below 1%).

Probably a bug: you can put multiple summoning circles in one base.

Am i missing something or is the no-line-of-sight penalty for shots not displayed?
In general I get the impression that >100% shots miss more often, even with line of sight.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:45 pm »
Am i missing something or is the no-line-of-sight penalty for shots not displayed?
In general I get the impression that >100% shots miss more often, even with line of sight.

True. The penalty does exist but is not displayed for the hit-chance.
All shots done without LoS get -50% on the total hit-chance.
All shots done with 200% hit-chance into smoke/without LoS always hit unless the bullet goes 'through' or 'over' the hitbox.
(200% gets cut down to 100%)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: March 05, 2018, 03:43:29 pm »
The no-LOS penalty should be displayed on the cursor, at least I think the December Piratez release used an OXCE+ version with that included.  'Perfect' accuracy happens at 110%, not 100% (remember, these are not real percentages!).  The reason those would miss has to do with only having a small portion of the target visible and how the engine picks a point on the target to shoot at; if a 110%+ shot misses when you have LOS, then it will always miss and you should move to a better firing position.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: March 05, 2018, 06:16:13 pm »
In that case we better aim for 220% and a clear shot.
Or just mortar/grenade the target.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: March 05, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »
Maybe when aquariums become a thing, and that probably won't be until aquatoids start showing up for real instead of just being a Bootypedia article.
Funny thing is, when you dont have a Burrow at a base the error message for capturing or sending animals to it references an Aquarium.

All shots done with 200% hit-chance into smoke/without LoS always hit unless the bullet goes 'through' or 'over' the hitbox.

Re: lancev
Percent chance to hit is only as it says on the tin when it comes to melee attacks since they dont involve a trajectory. Someday melee attacks may be converted into projectiles with a clause (melee attack roll) to deny an impact on a targeted unit, but that day is not here yet.

When you shoot at something the % chance refers to the cone of possible trajectories, and it represents something similar to MOA in rifle shooting terminology. For example 1 MOA is 1" possible dispersion at 100 yards (which would grow to 2" at 200, or 10" theoretically at 1000 yards, this is used partially to determine the maximum effective range of firearms IRL).

100% chance to hit is a guestimate from the original designers that you would not be able to miss a target (Man Sized presumably) at a given number of tiles. Probably 10 or 15 tiles since most engagements in vanilla xcom occur either up close, or at 10-20 tiles.

Also, while the shot cone may say that you have a high chance to hit the target, the Perfect Trajectory having already been calculated to see if you have a Line Of Fire... it will not necessarily follow that Perfect Trajectory even if you would still hit that target guaranteed. Which means if there is any obstruction between you and the target such as a Fence or Window or the edge of a Bush the shot may hit that instead.
(this is also why force firing on a target can be beneficial since the perfect trajectory may clip some scenery object, but other trajectories may still hit that target and miss that object... besides the capability to just shoot the offending bush and then fire again after it crumbled)

Its happened lots of times to me both in OXC and in vanilla xcom where I really have to make that shot, I get the guy with the high accuracy who's batting something like 120% even on a snap shot... fire from some considerable distance and the shot hits a damn bush.

Edit - Just figured id answer this while it occurred to me... while its easy to say that an assault rifle has an effective range of at least 300 yards (=tiles) the aiming skills in xcom dont concern themselves with ideal situations and shooting from a bench at a target range. Or shooting at a group of soldiers casually walking down a road from a hidden position.

All units are assumed to be moving around, including your own, and when they see an enemy they only have a narrow window of time to acquire target and fire. Any number of factors could impact the accuracy of that attack... such as the enemy's movement (prior to the position they ended up at), hesitation on the part of the shooter, or even the shooter trying to maintain an awareness of their situation outside of the target they're focusing on.
(Even when the target has panicked they could be spazzing out, spinning around, and otherwise moving all over their 1 tile of confined real estate, so they are not stationary and an attack roll is still valid)

Snap shots are literally pointing the gun in the general direction of the target and hoping to get lucky. Aimed shots mean trying to hastily line up the sights on the target while compensating for their movement (to lead the target), maybe spending about 1 second on it, nothing like we would consider a truly sniper-esque aimed shot to be.
(with Sniper Rifles an aimed shot is probably like it is in FPS video games where you try to shoot someone quick so its kinda a ballet of crosshair movement, and/or trying to ambush the target with the crosshair and time it exactly - I be starting to think that Reactions should have some role in shooting sniper rifles because of that, since using a scope makes actually targeting something easy peasy and quite abstract)

And all of this reminds me of another topic that may be controvercial, that each Tile is actually probably more indicative of a 5x5 foot square instead of measuring yards or meters. Mostly because of the scale of buildings and scenery and the destructive radius of lower end vanilla explosives. There is also vertical height/floors to consider too.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:22:19 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: March 05, 2018, 08:53:34 pm »
Maybe add a TL;DR section with the core essence. Don't take it personal but all those big bulky texts tire me out x3

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: March 05, 2018, 10:12:54 pm »

I believe with the exe that is currently shipped with Piratez the LoS penalty is not displayed. That is fixed if you manually download the latest OXCE+. Newest OXCE+ will give you an error message, saying the rangefinder needs to properly define it's clipsize. You then need to edit that in Piratez.rul accordingly.

If you don't want to do that, just wait a few days. Dioxine gave an estimate that around 20. 3. the next version will be released that then has the newes OXCE+ executable.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: March 05, 2018, 10:43:46 pm »
Maybe add a TL;DR section with the core essence. Don't take it personal but all those big bulky texts tire me out x3
TL;DR: Even with perfect accuracy you may hit a bush. Try force-firing for a slightly different trajectory and to wipe out obstacles as a bonus.
The rest is backxplaining game numbers with real world physics and the necessary caveats.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: March 05, 2018, 11:02:58 pm »
Thanks for the short version. Also don't nail the Dioxine onto a specific date. Just accept the 'surprise' once the new content ships in.