Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609845 times)

Offline juff

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.4 - 18 Mar - Furious Fixes
« Reply #4275 on: March 23, 2017, 06:54:02 am »
You have to change or disable the drag scroll option in battlescape as it defaults to mmb.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:19 am »
I've just Updated My Alt Armour Mod to work with 099F4

Link is Here

Offline Nygmus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: March 23, 2017, 08:28:46 pm »
Holy shit. Just saw Dark Ones on a terror mission after upgrading to .99F.4.

First time I ever fought the bastards. That was a rough mission. Certainly no live-capture spam this time, I barely made it out intact.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: March 23, 2017, 10:38:19 pm »
First time I ever fought the bastards. That was a rough mission. Certainly no live-capture spam this time, I barely made it out intact.

Actually dark ones/demons was my First Pogrom ever in piratez, back about 6 months ago or something. I just killed a few of them and left and took the hit on infamy. I mean I had to shoot a pinkie demon twice with an assault cannon and then plug it away with like 6 musket shots just to take it down. And there were at least 2 others (spectres) in view under the abandoned freeway. Then I think I was getting fireballs lobbed at me by (an imp? it was in an unseen part of the map so I dont know). Just nope.

Meanwhile...
It seems that it is Foot Patrol season again.

"Hey Stabby, get the aircar loaded up with 30mm and go gun those bastrs down"
"Aye Aye Boss Gal!"

*lots of carnage on the various roads of europe ensues as heavily armed patrol squads get gunned down by aerial 30mm gatling action

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: March 24, 2017, 01:20:55 am »
Do the patrols ever 'land'?  I let two run through and never saw a mission so I've just been blowing them up for points since then.

You have to change or disable the drag scroll option in battlescape as it defaults to mmb.

There's my problem.  I'd been looking in controls.  Thanks.

Offline Crazy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: March 25, 2017, 04:14:50 pm »
Holy shit. Just saw Dark Ones on a terror mission after upgrading to .99F.4.

They actually become easy once you get a better craft to bring more than 6 gals, and you unlock scoped rifles with plastasteel ammo and combat shotguns. Combat shotguns will kill pinky demons in one auto shot and the armor values for the others are low enough for the scoped rifles to simply pierce right through without needing to resort to melee in the early game. Unless they bring a baron of hell, but even they are melee only enemies.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: March 25, 2017, 07:31:26 pm »
*baron of hell is not a melee enemy :)  I had the same assumption as well.

Simple grav harnesses and shotguns are an excellent way to ignore the pinkies and spectres.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: March 25, 2017, 07:55:03 pm »
*baron of hell is not a melee enemy :)  I had the same assumption as well.

So are they ranged or are they not? I havent run into them yet.

I have alot of experience with a certain other game where they also appear, and I can tell you except for stupid players or evil map designers, they are certainly known for their ranged capabilities. Maybe not a King of ranged, but at least a 10 of Spades. And a King of melee they are.

And they are known for their toughness too. I dont know how tough they are here but it takes at least 5 Rockets (sometimes 6) to kill them.

And I find out today...

That all those foot patrols I keep seeing are Ratmen plundering the countryside rather than folks looking for my base. I guess its important to take them out anyway because that counts as enemy activity in a sector.

Offline Crazy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: March 28, 2017, 04:37:01 am »
Are the Tome of Lightning's projectiles guaranteed to shred Armor, like all plasma damage? Because if so, that's 54 plasma projectiles per auto fire. Even if something somehow survives that, it's armor is so beyond fucked that you'll probably be able to finish it off with a six-shooter.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: March 28, 2017, 06:28:21 am »
In general, electricity-based weapons that use plasma resistance don't shred extra armor (the tome, tesla coil, maybe a few others), but cause extra stun damage.  Still, the armor penetration and sheer number of hits can add up to destroy a lot of armor. More that likely the target will be dead or stunned already - I liked using it as an AoE stun + medic bravery trainer while facing mercs.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4285 on: March 28, 2017, 04:37:04 pm »
So are they ranged or are they not? I havent run into them yet.

Yes, Barons definitely have a ranged attack.  Not sure the stats, but can definitely put out some punishment.  I remember Poet losing some troops to this shot.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: March 30, 2017, 06:17:25 pm »
I've gotten back to playing Piratez, started a new game to see all the new stuff, and while I think the early narrative stuff is very well done now, especially the fugitive capture squad and the early researches that set the stage, early game balance still seems really RNG dependant.

Once again I had a horrible first month with a -1,500 score for no reason I could determine, and without the Infamy bonus I was forced to sell a ton of stuff, basically all my loot and starting equipment other than the hull, drill, Airbus, and the gear I used, to avoid going into negative balance at the end of the month. This was despite powering through research and throwing a party which was supposed to be worth +250. That's two out of four campaigns I've played so far where month one has torpedoed my score, and it was really punishing with the new upkeep balance.

Early missions are also very binary. Either you're robbing civilians, knocking over Watchtowers, or hitting a crackhouse where no one has armor and it's easy as pie, or you run into raiders and can barely scratch them. Perhaps I haven't adjusted to the new weapon balance, but so many otherwise decent weapons have negative armor penetration now which makes them seem useless since the only things you need high power for in the early game - and wouldn't try to kidnap - are armored foes. Melee on starting gals with no armor very quickly turns into an extended infirmary stay or worse against anything more than a rusty niner it seems. I'm not sure if it's RNG trolling me again or not, but fatal wounds seem to pile up with remarkable speed, I've had gals end up with 4-6 from a single attacker, and it really makes that missing third charge on the bandages hurt. In earlier versions the Ubers felt kinda bulletproof, you'd take a little damage here and there, but they just seem to get hurt by everything now.

It may again be RNG, but over two months I have had very little civilian traffic, and whenever I would explore a new mission type the enemies would far outclass six lunatics. The only working strategy I've found is go at night and slow creep the map, which I thought was supposed to be discouraged in this version. I've found that the only good answer to extreme weather early is to ignore the mission. Even with Heat 50% on the starting outfits stun builds up at a startling rate, and the canteen is yet more inventory space and TU usage that the gals can't afford when they're that weak.

I still very much enjoy the game, but it still seems like you need the RNG's permission to even get started.

Edit: I should add I play blind, so if there's a super important tech you're supposed to rush, I wouldn't know.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:32:53 pm by Devon_v »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: March 30, 2017, 07:49:09 pm »
Any damaging hit can cause up to 3 wounds though the chance is quite slim.

Most of the weapons with a penalty vs armor are actually still quite good. 20-30% armor increase on 40ish base armor is not terribly significant. The overwhelming majority of enemy units have sub 50 armor. The exceptions are terror units, Marsec Bodyguards, Guildmasters, Humanist Stormtroopers and Supersoldiers, and Academy Provosts. Even the machete which is probably the worst of the lot(30% and worst stat bonus) tops out at 50 damage with max stats before outfits. Granted if you don't have the stats to support the weapons the will not perform well. But if you dont have the stats what are doing wielding melee anyway?

Muskets however do suck against armor but generally speaking anything with a armor penalty is still decent. The armor penalty is more a balance aspect to keep stat scaleing early game weapons from running away with the show.

RNG is certainly a factor in a smooth start. The only true advantage the player retains in the early game compared to previous versions is marginal Night vision advantage which quickly vanishes and relatively high hp. But high hp only keeps you from losing gals permanently. However there are several newish building that speed recovery so eventually racking up damage that doesn't kill you is only a minor inconvenience.

The game in the last 6 months has gone from moderately challenging to Nintendo Hard with a side of masochism in my opinion. And still takes 100s of hours per campaign. But at least you can't get fucked outa tech progression by bad RNG anymore. You can eventually buy your way up the tech tree if no other option presents itself. Player unique weapons( Custom shooty gun, ect) are also perfectly capable of filling in or outperforming dropped gear.   

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: March 30, 2017, 08:42:50 pm »
Any damaging hit can cause up to 3 wounds though the chance is quite slim.

Most of the weapons with a penalty vs armor are actually still quite good. 20-30% armor increase on 40ish base armor is not terribly significant.

That's good to know, but it still seems like there's no reason to pick most of them over the mace, which has good damage and reduces and damages armor. And with the 0-200% damage formula low power firearms are already in a really wierd place without giving the enemy any help.

Yes, Barons definitely have a ranged attack.  Not sure the stats, but can definitely put out some punishment.  I remember Poet losing some troops to this shot.

If it's balanced based on the source material the green flame can do just short of half of Doomguy's health on a direct hit, and he's pretty uber himself. It was not something you wanted to get hit by.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: March 30, 2017, 09:21:33 pm »
That's good to know, but it still seems like there's no reason to pick most of them over the mace, which has good damage and reduces and damages armor. And with the 0-200% damage formula low power firearms are already in a really wierd place without giving the enemy any help.
Snip
Yes the mace is probably better most of the time. But don't discount weapons with this type of balancing out of hand. Do your math properly before rendering judgment.

Ranged weapon with -% armor mods however you are correct about they suck hard due to the range. Melee being 50-150% are much more reliable.