Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610838 times)

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.1 - 13 Feb - Slave Wars
« Reply #4020 on: February 13, 2017, 01:12:08 pm »
Yes it's in the same place. How could it end up on the roof if you just infiltrated? Keep a spare ship if you don't like micro.
I think the potential mystery of how the equipment could be on the roof is pretty minor compared to how a band of uber maids with las-pistols and sawn-off shotguns got into the building undetected. How did their big pile of additional weapons and equipment get into the building anyway? If it was on the roof, I'd just presume that the gals carried only their infiltration equipment and the pile on the roof was dropped down after at the start of the 'attack' phase of the infiltration. Besides, doesn't one of the team usually start near the roof anyway?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4021 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:43 pm »
I also agree that mansion equipping is super annoying... But on the positive side, once you can do mansions reliably, you can easily afford a dedicated craft.

Offline magitsu

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: February 13, 2017, 07:25:56 pm »
Got a map generation error here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4wmi9kjsXleRVVTTTNwVW1XdEk (.sav file, F with OXCE+ 3.6 2017-02-05)
Don't really know what kind of error it produced, since the mission (stone pyramids with werewolves, blood sacrifice) played out fine.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: February 13, 2017, 07:32:32 pm »
Don't really know what kind of error it produced, since the mission (stone pyramids with werewolves, blood sacrifice) played out fine.

It doesn't produce any crashing errors, just the AI may be a little bit confused potentially.
I'll remove the warning in the next version and give modders a different way to check their maps.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: February 14, 2017, 03:11:11 am »
is it remotely possible to have the BFG, and chaingun act a bit more like their true doom counterparts?

It would be interesting if the chaingun had a "double tap" mode, with high accuracy like normal doom does, and if the BFG functioned like it did in doom (a combination of a large plasma shot, and a follow up radiation shotgun of invisible lasers tracers).

I don't know if the BFG 2 stage fire is remotely possible in the engine (1 massive plasma shot WITHOUT splash damage, and then a large spread of 40 plasma element "shotgun" tracers) But it would be obscenely cool to see.

As for the mission, I think maybe having the gear placed on the roof, logic being the drop EVAC is stashing it there, would both eliminate the headache of gear tracking, and also add a little more tactics, that one could, for instance, find the stash, then go loot more...I know I'd detour for a few explosive charges just to break down walls.

By the way, did the recent update add the ability to find / purchase airbuses? I find it....bitterly ironic that airbuses are all around in the first few missions, yet as far as I could tell, it cannot be replaced.

Lastly, is the aquatic harpoon gun being unlocked in bootypedia from day 1 intentional?..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:44:48 am by mumble »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4025 on: February 14, 2017, 04:43:53 am »
There is no possibility of adding 2 damage effects per shot, or 2 automatic fire modes per weapon, OXC isn't as advanced as Doom :)

Auto-harpoon should be hidden until you research it, yes, it's a bug.

There is no EVAC drop, as you infiltrate the mansion on foot. The craft is only used to escape.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: February 14, 2017, 04:54:24 am »
The two hits could somewhat be done by script, leveraging the fact the in the shotgun blast code, one tracer pellet is fired 'first' and the others follow up as a near-instantaneous auto shot. The script could say, increase the damage for the first hit from the weapon, then place a tag on it that says none of the rest of the pellets get huge damage until the first one next turn, but it would be a megakludge in my mind just to make it more Doom-like.  I think it's fine as-is in the OXC engine, and changing it would make it feel less impressive to me.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: February 14, 2017, 05:56:03 am »
With the mansion, when time is up, are you gals lost or do they just flee with whatever is in their hands?  both are logical, but given the size of the mansion and an unknown amount of time to explore, having them just leave seems reasonable to me, assuming the exit has been found.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: February 14, 2017, 05:58:01 am »
I know you sneak in, but the ship which picks you up, I assume would be there a bit longer than a couple turns, and I figure the evacuation ship, which picks you up, might ALSO be carrying a few items, hence the logic... ..but its your mod, do what you will

I can see what you mean about the weapon being lackluster, the BFG in doom rouglike was similar (one BIG ass rocket) but I was curious partly because 1, I'm a bit of a doom fan, and that would be cool, and 2, having a close range tank buster would be interesting.

@khade : I really hope its just leaving, because the uncertainty of getting through that mansion makes it a very scary prospect to explore. I've yet to really check the basement, for instance, I've only really checked the mage towers, because they are convenient.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:35 am »
There is no possibility of adding 2 damage effects per shot, or 2 automatic fire modes per weapon, OXC isn't as advanced as Doom  :)

OXC is a lot more advanced than Doom.
Just not in all aspects.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: February 14, 2017, 12:12:44 pm »
OXC is a lot more advanced than Doom.
Just not in all aspects.
I would just say, perhaps openxcom is younger than zdoom and all its "family", as well as perhaps, doom was made a bit more modifiable out the gate than xcom was, on release, as far as I'm aware.

On that account, I would say the entire scope of "all" developers, and "all" source ports / resources, zdoom and others are perhaps slightly more advanced, but NOT because lack of talent (talent is obviously there!) but rather, slightly smaller community (maybe?) and the fact xcom was built a bit different in the first place anyways, as far as I know, AND, that zdoom, ect, has had over twice as long in development of openxcom

Not trying to be rude to any of the developers or anything else here, but I'm just being realistic : The amount of scripting and capabilities added to some of the source ports for doom are pretty unreal, in the comparison of vanilla play, and extremely modded play, where as openxcom is making great strides, and obviously has already, but is still working on breaking many "old" restrictions of vanilla. And this, AGAIN, has nothing to do with talent, but has everything to do with doom modding / tinkering, on a large community, has a good 10 or so year start (from what a bit of research on google tells me) when you talk about zdoom, gzdoom, maping techniques, ect. So I would say doom, in all its branches of modding, is a LITTLE more advanced, but thats only because it has a few more years of actively modding under its belt.

But, I'm getting a bit off topic here... hope nobody got offended by this :-X I say again, talent is most certainly there, but an indifference in time applied is EXTREMELY hard to compensate for.

For the record though, I would say the fact VANILLA xcom is far more advanced ANYWAY, speaks a great deal too.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: February 14, 2017, 12:25:49 pm »
Thanks for enlightenment.

Just for the record, nobody mentioned ZDoom, GZDoom, QZDoom or alike... I have explicitly written "OpenXcom" and "Doom".

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: February 14, 2017, 01:34:32 pm »
Oh I gotcha, I just interpreted doom as "all of dooms modding capability" since you are comparing a sourceport specifically, to another game which has many source ports. Thus, I thought of all the source ports I know, and said what I thought

If comparing VANILLA doom, to openxcom, then absolutely you are 100% correct.

Perhaps I interpreted differently than you intended, but that was why I brought up zdoom and gzdoom, because they are pretty much the forefront of scripting / coding / level effects.

Offline Carfax

• Sergeant
  • Question your own beliefs once a year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: February 14, 2017, 03:12:00 pm »
Just a short inquiery. I noticed that i can research and produce items that are linked to loot i gathered during a mission even before my craft arrives back at my base.
I just fired up dosbox and its handled this way in the vanilla game.This is certainly no gamebreaker because i am using a houserule that prohibits me exploiting this anyway but i would like to know if this is hardcoded or if it is possible and feasible to change that?
As im writing this i think this thread might not be the right place to post this issue, but i am rather new to this forum and i havenĀ“t found a suitable place to put it.

Regards
Carfax

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4034 on: February 14, 2017, 08:19:39 pm »
Nah, hardoced. Unhardcoding it is within the realm of possibility, but is long process of debugging, accounting for every abuse and strange situation, as well as endless bitching about the new logic really worth it...

I know you sneak in, but the ship which picks you up, I assume would be there a bit longer than a couple turns, and I figure the evacuation ship, which picks you up, might ALSO be carrying a few items, hence the logic... ..but its your mod, do what you will
Where's that logic? the ship might carry stuff but it's ON THE SHIP, hence inaccessible. I'd make all stuff you don't hold on your gals auto-sent back to your base, alas, this is impossible

I can see what you mean about the weapon being lackluster, the BFG in doom rouglike was similar (one BIG ass rocket) but I was curious partly because 1, I'm a bit of a doom fan, and that would be cool, and 2, having a close range tank buster would be interesting.
You have a ton of of closer-range tank busters, plus, the 'lackluster' weapon is only one of the best in the whole mod...

I really hope its just leaving, because the uncertainty of getting through that mansion makes it a very scary prospect to explore.

No, you lose everything and everyone not on exit tiles. Scary? I hope. Maybe this will scare people off enough to going in with a plan, instead for a long, tedious murder-all slog like before.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:24:46 pm by Dioxine »