Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3667220 times)

Offline Gynther

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E.1 - 13 Nov - Dead in Space
« Reply #3555 on: November 14, 2016, 11:07:52 pm »
So the old UFO only had examination tables in 'abductor' class vessels, they seem very similar to the 'envoy' class here visually, and the description mentions high tech loot. Yep that might be it.

Thank you kindly for the answer!

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: November 14, 2016, 11:14:09 pm »
There are more variants of most of the vanilla ufos, especially the medium scouts (Runabouts) and the large scouts (Cutters) - I think some of these lighter vessels might have them too.

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #3557 on: November 15, 2016, 11:29:03 am »
I am in the process of watching Meridians playthrough and found it a pity that he found defender armor so soon, which made most missions a joke.
In my own game I had to research and build all the armor, which makes the game far more interesting (and same goes for starting with an unarmed airbus).

Now I also found wearable broken defender armor and Storm armor. Is this an oversight or is there a reason why this armor is Mutant-sized? I would prefer it if all armor would need research and manufacture.

I just tried the storm armor together with the arena launcher and the mission happened to contain doom enemies. Flame sea galore, a pyromaniac's dream :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3558 on: November 15, 2016, 12:42:20 pm »
Now I also found wearable broken defender armor and Storm armor. Is this an oversight or is there a reason why this armor is Mutant-sized? I would prefer it if all armor would need research and manufacture.

It's cutting corners; I wanted to give this to the player, that was the easiest way. While it's logical you can find such armor, it makes no sense that Military Transport carries it... I'll probably update it to contain 'resizable' defenders and stormies, that you can rebuild to fit you, but only when you have Tac Armor / Dragonfly tech. Still would give you armor from a higher tier, but not as easily.

Offline Kharim

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: November 15, 2016, 12:43:27 pm »
Many thanks for the surrender mode! Now I managed to finish mansion invasion in 12 turns instead of my average 40.

Wysłane z mojego ZAX 1.2

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: November 15, 2016, 02:00:34 pm »
I don't remember if this has been debated before, but here goes.

I was thinking about weapons that are meant for suppression in real life, such as MGs. There, the sheer amount of fire down range forces the enemy to take cover and stay down, where accuracy is not that important, since the purpose is not necessarily to hit the enemy but to prevent them from moving and firing. AFAIK in x-piratez however, the only bonus you get from a weapon like the gatling, is that it might shred some cover around the target, but explosive weapons are much better and more reliable at doing that. My point is that in most cases, one or two accurate bullets are much better for killing an enemy than scatter fire. Therefore, a weapon that sprays a lot of bullets will almost never be preferable, unless such a tactic were to be rewarded, e.g. through a suppression system (like a TU debuff on next turn for the target). It would probably need to be tweaked a couple of times to avoid exploits, if it is to be implemented.

Offline Kharim

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: November 15, 2016, 05:14:07 pm »
A well placed minigun burst can kill several targets if they happen to stand in line. Great for clearing tight corridors.
Moreover a point blank burst of plastasteel ammo to the back armour happens to be effective even on heavy armoured foes.
However I point out that the lack of reaction fire for weapons that only shoot auto is kind of crippling. That might work just as suppresion fire.

Wysłane z mojego ZAX 1.2

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: November 15, 2016, 06:00:45 pm »
@Foxhound634
Suppression Fire can't work like you wish because your MG stops firing during the enemy turn. What is kind of fancy in the remade "XCOM" is technically impossible to do in the original master-piece. I get your point but try to figure out a script for the A.I. to use this feature.

@Kharim
Autofire-only weaponry does it's job as intended and just like you said. A bulky minigun can't have a *reaction shot* because this weapon is too heavy to quickdraw and has a wind-up time to fire. If you want to give your hand the chance to reactionfire, just lend her a pistol or smg for her quickdraw slot. :)

Offline Gynther

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: November 16, 2016, 12:30:08 am »
I'm at my wits end here, i need academy ships to progress but they just dont spawn. Over a year ingame with full world cover, and i've seen ONE academy ship (terror class so not even that good). Are there any way to improve spawns? or god forbid mod my game to increase it?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: November 16, 2016, 12:33:45 am »
Patience, everything with time.  Focus attention elsewhere, and let them come when they may.

In other words, you might just have to wait for RNG to start spawning their missions.  I saw no church ships during years 2 and 3, but December year 3, they plop down a base well within radar range of my first hideout.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: November 16, 2016, 12:35:45 am »
RE:suppression fire

A possible implementation would be to add a small (5-10 pts perhaps) morale damage to heavy autofire weapons. While not really true suppression, it's probably the most that can be done with the current game state. Come ot think of it - the morale damage could be added to any weapon's attack - multiple snapshots would most likely have a similar (if somewhat reduced) effect on morale.

A better solution (though I'm not sure it's possible or scriptable) is dual-effect bullets - the projectile hit-and-damage + an invisible, small radius 'explosion of fear'. That would allow even near-misses to spread panic.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: November 16, 2016, 12:52:47 am »
But for that to work, those shots would need to hit - which isn't the point of suppression.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: November 16, 2016, 12:56:35 am »
A simpler method, used by some mods, is to give suppression autofire weapons a fast snap shot with similar accuracy and range to the auto shot for the purpose of simulating the suppressive hail of bullets by reaction fire.  In terms of disabling weapons or area denial, cover destruction, spreading fire (AI avoids it), weapons with TU and morale damage are already present and provide a similar effect that doesn't require an AI and engine rewrite.

Offline Gynther

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: November 16, 2016, 12:59:03 am »
RE:suppression fire

I loved suppression fire in Jagged Alliance 1.13 when they fixed the old bug it got really strong, strong enough to always want to carry a few automatics in field with you. But i see no easy way to implement that here unless you can track bullets passing near you, or hitting your cover.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: November 16, 2016, 01:47:54 am »
@suppression fire

There might be a way. You can track how often a person is targeted in a round (no need for a hit), there is a commendation for that (bullet magnet). You could probably do a script that applies modifiers based on how many times a person is targeted in a round.