aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609914 times)

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99C - 3 Sep - Death In Smoke
« Reply #3270 on: September 03, 2016, 06:17:33 pm »
The X-Commer in me avoids night missions like the plague,  but I've been forcing myself to do some due to the advantage the gals have over purebloods. I welcome visual improvements. :)

Offline Ketonur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: September 04, 2016, 06:35:40 am »
Death in smoke indeed... Smoke is rather useless now.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: September 04, 2016, 07:25:19 am »
Death in smoke indeed... Smoke is rather useless now.

I agree, Ghost is now mandatory, and if you don't have it, god help you vs anything that can ignore smoke.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: September 04, 2016, 06:44:41 pm »
I wouldn't call it "mandatory", but it'll probably end up on the bad end of nerfhammer due to how good it is now. Almost invisible, weapons ignore armor, voodoo resistant, and now has an all-seeing eye.

Eh, at least I'm in endgame, which means I can use all most flavors of armour, as well as take advantage of psi-vision. And that reddish filter is... nice, but a bit tiring on my eyes for some reason.

Also, word: star gods are still douches. There's nothing but getting three gals MC-ed in one turn, and I was lucky my saviour survived the elerium grenade. Still, that's 90+ days of healing because I don't have facilities yet.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: September 04, 2016, 08:04:42 pm »
I wouldn't call it "mandatory", but it'll probably end up on the bad end of nerfhammer due to how good it is now. Almost invisible, weapons ignore armor, voodoo resistant, and now has an all-seeing eye.

It's mainly good because of the invisibility which is now required to deal with smoke ignoring enemies. It's either use ghost or facetank, and if you don't have some seriously upper end armour, the latter is a pretty bad idea.

Ghost knife/beam seem amazing up until the point you realize you can have the former on any armour, and the lethality of the latter is readily matched or surpassed by most late game weaponry (especially given the beam's insane TU cost, and energy drain that I feel was needlessly increased). Meanwhile no nades/medikits/utility/stunning items or equipment flexibility for you which is a massive drawback. Overall I think it's in a pretty decent balance space (though the Ghost Beam should probably be either a little less prohibitive to use, or a little more powerful), because I'm running them strictly as scouts rather than the core of my force (that would be Witches).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:08:31 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: September 04, 2016, 09:18:23 pm »
Haven't tried the new mod version yet, but ghost armor already was by far the best scout in 0.99B. The weapons are pretty weak (melee on a gal with paper armor whose only protection is only being visible from 5 tiles is asking for trouble in many occasions. Ghost is not for close quarters. And for once I agree with Surrealistik: indeed the ghost beam is pretty much useless. It usually takes at least 2 hits to kill something, but if you walked around a bit, you're likely to not have enough stamina for that. Even if you do, it means that your gal will be pretty much stationary next turn. Safe scouting and sniping with something else is much much more efficient).

If ghost keeps two fixed weapons, making the beam useable would be necessary. When I modded in the vision changes by Meridian (after he made the feature, before Dioxine released the new version), I nerfed long range vision of the ghost armor (to 25) so it wouldn't as broken of a scout. I considered that being ethereal and having light go through you could mess your vision (sort of like a LotR Frodo with the ring on effect). I also unfixed the dagger and enabled the quickdraw, so the gal could interact with her environment. If she can kill something, presumably she can also pick up a rock.. I generally dislike outfits with both hands taken. Limited inventory, sure, one hand taken, sure, but both is too constraining except for animals.

I'm ok with making the game more deadly (my casualties have been very low), but that brings up the cost of armor. Often repairing the broken armor is almost as expensive as making a new one (like ghost armor giving back a single one of many rare components, or all the personal armor types giving one part when it takes 4-5 to make).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3276 on: September 05, 2016, 06:28:31 pm »
Leaving any hand free or buffing the Ghost Beam would allow high efficiency safe-distance sniping, which I consider far too OP on an invisible armor.
Limiting vision seems like a sensible nerf tho.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: September 05, 2016, 07:42:43 pm »
As it is, you cannot even sustain walking and shooting once per turn, so the outfit is limited to walking only (scouting, which limited vision will nerf) or overly specialized range armor killer when you've got plenty of other ranged firepower that outdoes it and melee is far superior at taking out armor. If you nerf the vision and given that there are now vision types that will spot it easier without any buff, it'll be hardly useful.

Psi vision is great but it basically means standing outside of ufos (since it's easy to spot a ghost inside in close quarters) which aye-phones can easily do as well on any gal. Flag-type doesn't help since it drains energy. Combat drugs would be good but it's self only.

I'm not sure what the vision is for the ghost armor. I don't see it as an über scout, it's certainly not a close range fighter since it is easily spotted at that range and easily killed once spotted, and the beam is not useable enough to make it a useful  midrange fighter complement to the likes of revenant with melee + XL rifle, although that should be the role.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: September 05, 2016, 10:31:39 pm »
I have a question for Dioxine. With all these psi-vision, magic wands and fairy suits, is your game (and i prefer piratez truly a new game) still science fiction, or it is a fantasy now?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:46 pm »
I have a question for Dioxine. With all these psi-vision, magic wands and fairy suits, is your game (and i prefer piratez truly a new game) still science fiction, or it is a fantasy now?

I think it doesn't matter that much what exactly it is.
It's a dream come true... didn't you too always dream of making your own game? :)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: September 06, 2016, 03:29:58 am »
Just want to reiterate my position on the Ghost Armour (buff the as-is super situational Ghost Beam by reducing its cost to use in TUs and/or energy, or increasing its damage output) with the addendum that nerfing the max vision of Ghost would be a bad idea, particularly given the current meta.

Ghost Armour is the uber scout, but seeing as it's a late game armour, there's nothing wrong with that; there's always going to be a best and Ghost Armour is perfect for that role. The main problem is that the beam is just awful for a fixed weapon on an endgame piece of gear.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:05:55 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: September 06, 2016, 04:13:20 am »
To each his own. Ghost scouting feels like an exploit to me because you spot to 40, get spotted at 5 and just have other gals do the killing. It's useful but not very characterful and kind of sad to have a gal do nothing but spotting. I don't care for it to be a good /great/best scout, but I'd like it to be the midrange bane of armor which I fully agree it isn't. Hence the suggestion of limited vision as a compensation for buffing the beam to take it away from scouting and towards midrange killer.

A not über kill ghost beam makes sense for stargods because a wounded gal will be taken out of the fight in all but the most dire circumstances. But for the gals, we have so many ways to deal with enemy units properly (permanently) that it isn't useful to just wound a guy with power armor, especially with the possibility to roll low meaning you might well have sacrificed all your stamina for little (although I think that was addressed with gaussian magic damage distribution?)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: September 06, 2016, 08:03:10 am »
I think it doesn't matter that much what exactly it is.
It's a dream come true... didn't you too always dream of making your own game? :)
Yes, i understood. I just mean, that after 500 years with advanced alien tech,  it is possible to explain any wonders by scientific metod. (A.C. Clarke' words fits here )

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3283 on: September 06, 2016, 09:46:19 am »
500? More like 5 million. ;)

Offline nrafield

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: September 06, 2016, 03:36:54 pm »
How about Night Ops armor? Does anyone even use it? I've used it a few times and found it pretty useful, since I've never really managed to unlock Ghost.