aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3690407 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99A.1 - 31 Jul - Magical Commendations
« Reply #3045 on: August 05, 2016, 04:38:29 pm »
Hey Dioxine, I have question on how the poison gas formula works - the actual health damage is done through a damageAlter in the ruleset, using RandomType: 4, which looks like the damage is then just a flat roll between 5 and 10 (just like vanilla incendiary), modified by ToHealth and the resistance to damageType.  Would the correct calculation for the damage for say, the flintlock gas-balls be [roll 5-10]*0.6*4.0 = 12-24 damage for a human target?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3046 on: August 05, 2016, 05:43:54 pm »
I'd like to have TFDT damage formula activated by default, it gives a while new feeling. Hope it would be included in next version  :'( :'(

I'm actually playing with the idea of doubling base damage on everything and adding a second dice roll of 0...100% to final damage, thus attaining 0..400% damage with normal weapons, and 25%-300% with 'tftd' weapons :) TFTD damage formula is correct for melee and especially explosives, but not for guns. No serious wargame, be it Steel Panthers or tabletop Warhammer, allows for guaranteed lo-end damage of any kind. I'm not inclined to side with 100% information control games (chess) or sport games (Starcraft - which, I'd like to remind, HAD random accuracy and damage in early versions, but it was taken off due to being unsportsmanslike), or casual games instead.

Offline animefreak2599

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: August 06, 2016, 02:20:51 am »
Dioxine could you fix the download link?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3048 on: August 06, 2016, 02:25:25 am »
Dioxine could you fix the download link?

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4465.msg68549.html#msg68549

see the message from Dioxine below the one I've linked as well.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: August 06, 2016, 02:45:55 am »
I'm actually playing with the idea of doubling base damage on everything and adding a second dice roll of 0...100% to final damage, thus attaining 0..400% damage with normal weapons, and 25%-300% with 'tftd' weapons :) TFTD damage formula is correct for melee and especially explosives, but not for guns. No serious wargame, be it Steel Panthers or tabletop Warhammer, allows for guaranteed lo-end damage of any kind. I'm not inclined to side with 100% information control games (chess) or sport games (Starcraft - which, I'd like to remind, HAD random accuracy and damage in early versions, but it was taken off due to being unsportsmanslike), or casual games instead.

Horrifying. Besides, this would probably make smoke sniping/bombarding even more mandatory, particularly on Ironman/higher difficulties.

Also Malifaux is a great instance of a 'serious' wargame where RNG while existent is limited and can actually be compensated for/controlled at crucial moments by a limited number of outcome substitutions each turn (a mechanic known within the game as 'cheating fate'), emphasizing the importance of skill, resource management and good judgement.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:16:01 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3050 on: August 06, 2016, 03:17:50 am »
Also Malifaux is a great instance of a 'serious' wargame where RNG while existent is limited and can actually be compensated for/controlled at crucial moments by a limited number of outcome substitutions each turn (a mechanic known within the game as 'cheating fate'), emphasizing the importance of skill and good judgement.

That sounds like a fine gambling-spiced game then :) You're right, though, too random results without any (legitimate!) 'cheating' mechanics stop being fun. And XCOM mechanics allows for very little in the way of serious gambling, sadly.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: August 06, 2016, 06:03:19 am »
The change could be interesting, but a flat distribution of 0-400% doesn't average at 100%. Melee is rather reliable right now with larger average damage values for a given tech tier, which encourages charges.

But if damage becomes less reliable, at some point it will be better to scout and snipe. It's ok to shoot and miss/fail hurting since you are hiding behind cover and a smoke screen. It is much less ok to miss/fail hurting when in melee.. the only way I could see it implemented is if tu costs and every costs of melee were also reduced, to provide a larger sample size (and thus give back a more reliable outcome), with damage reduced to reproduce a proper average outcome. But then armor would mess up the relationship.

niculinux

« Reply #3052 on: August 07, 2016, 01:38:43 am »
Quick question: the weather icon indicator that appears before engaging a ground asssult in the geoscape are gonne be implemented. AFAIS Metidian uses ot in his playthrough :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3053 on: August 07, 2016, 07:22:54 am »
Quick question: the weather icon indicator that appears before engaging a ground asssult in the geoscape are gonne be implemented. AFAIS Metidian uses ot in his playthrough :)

That is a mod that Meridian created called DayNightIndicator.  You will find it in the thread called: " Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ "
I think its awesome.

Also, I'm not sure what your question on is.  Its more of a statement.  Are you asking if Dioxine is going to incorporate that into the main mod?  Because often his stance is that if there is a working mod for it, he will just leave those as available optional mods. Like this one is.

niculinux

« Reply #3054 on: August 07, 2016, 10:21:59 am »
[...]
Also, I'm not sure what your question on is.  Its more of a statement.  Are you asking if Dioxine is going to incorporate that into the main mod?  Because often his stance is that if there is a working mod for it, he will just leave those as available optional mods. Like this one is.

Yes i meant that. Ok guss o'll have to download and instsll seperately, i was wishing ot soneday may be included, like thecalt corpses :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3055 on: August 07, 2016, 12:18:07 pm »
I don't like how it looks. I will make my own version at some point.

Offline Bartojan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: August 08, 2016, 04:29:26 pm »
I have been awarded medal Idol for stunning one ghoul 3 times with the same gal and capturing it, but it shoud be for capturing 3 enemies per Mission. Save included.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: August 09, 2016, 03:55:24 am »
Some time ago i mentioned that i was taking a long pause from this mod, waiting for 1.0 to arrive. As such, a lot of features are quite different, especially those 'opaque' ones where newcomers to the mod are not necessarily able to figure out how said features work. E.g. the stealth system. Will there be dedicated tutorial entries for such systems/features, so newcomers won't have to trawl through forum threads?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3058 on: August 09, 2016, 04:00:14 am »
Will there be dedicated tutorial entries for such systems/features, so newcomers won't have to trawl through forum threads?

There certainly will be if you write them! :)
Aside from the changelog, the articles that we write and post to the wiki are our best resources.  I welcome any and all submissions!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: August 09, 2016, 04:05:00 am »
Decrypted data disks contain a lot of educative articles on the mechanics of the game and Dioxine's take on things, along with other things. It's quite worthwhile to research them as soon as you get them and there's nothing quite so rare that you'd need to delay researching it until you have exhausted other things.