Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3611504 times)

Offline Baldri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.98F - 13 May - Airbus Adventures
« Reply #2550 on: May 15, 2016, 03:36:50 pm »
I think the skyranger is too strong when you are only able to raid warehouses and stuff.

Then again it comes in handy for the early progroms or larger landed ships like cutters.

Engaging the new missions with 6 gals feels right but why would I do this when I can use 12 instead.

Not sure how my feelings about the possibility to just switch out the airbus at the start are.  Maybe make the smugglers sell skyrangers?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2551 on: May 15, 2016, 03:50:47 pm »
Skyranger and Pigeon will be taken care of (will need prerequisites). Skyranger will probably be eliminated completely or made an 'easter egg' craft. Not sure about Pigeon - it lacks style but moving it too high up will render it nigh-obsolete because of Spy Zeps.

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: May 15, 2016, 06:46:05 pm »
I think Pigeon is fine as is. You already have only time to get one as is before Zeppelin.

Offline vlad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: May 16, 2016, 04:24:03 pm »
Short comment on the new early game:

- first mission was Warehouse: very interesting und good
- second mission was pogrom on the other side of the planet. Airbus could not reach it, because it was too far and it just despawns. First month end with -600 rating.  That feels really unfair, because you get a lot of negative points just because of bad luck.

just updated from previous 0.97d - having non-combat vessel is fine, speed and radar sucks tho. i figured i will have to wait till i get some landed shippings or terror missions will be my daily bread. then suprise popped up - warehouse mission and i had good laught. these sideeffects of BV nerf should be considered.

EDIT : first pogrom and following academy mission
had landed ufo inbetween and that went fine (aka in radar zone of my only base), also those mini-terror missions are great for starting, my compliments to the chef. its just sad i cant get to them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:40:15 am by vlad »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: May 20, 2016, 07:31:18 pm »
Congratulations Dioxine, you brought the most wonderfully maddening aspect of EU2012 Long War to OXCE - drones and their ability to mess up your swabbies (rookies).  If it weren't for the self-charging laspistol I got out of assaulting early Academy shipping, it wouldn't have been worth it.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2555 on: May 20, 2016, 09:36:41 pm »
Use Molotovs against them, they never fail.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: May 20, 2016, 10:09:46 pm »
Given how much I love using Molotovs against everything else, I should have probably thought of that.  Thanks!

Offline gibbousmoon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: May 22, 2016, 07:34:00 am »
OK, I finally got this to run (using the download linked on the front page), but all the text labels (for "new game," "options," etc.) have been replaced by ????????  ??????  ???????.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2558 on: May 22, 2016, 08:53:21 am »
Wow. Never heard about such a bug. And what do you mean by 'finally'? It's basically 2 retardedly easy steps:

1. unpack the archive into a fresh folder
2. place original UFO files in the yourfolderhere/UFO directory (see download topic for reference...)

Also make sure you're running English-US language version. Better not run any install software. Do not 'upgrade' with any extra content except mods. Including OXC Nightly.

...Been playing around with various designs, here what I came up lately (if you don't count NSFW content):

Offline gibbousmoon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: May 22, 2016, 10:04:35 am »
Yes, it was "retardedly easy" once I figured out that I was supposed to ignore the confusing mod installation instructions in the main directory (in the openxcom readme) and instead look specifically at the xpiratez readme (which is not in the main directory when you unpack the .rar). ;)  Because I am new to both openxcom and this mod (and was linked directly to this forum thread from outside the website), it was not immediately apparent.

If that mistake makes me "retarded," then so be it.

I grabbed the files from a fresh English-language installation from Steam.  Vanilla openxcom works fine and doesn't exhibit the bug, by the way.

I wonder if it's a Unicode problem?

Edit:
I'm running win7 pro 64bit.  I should have mentioned that in my initial post.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:26:02 am by gibbousmoon »

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: May 22, 2016, 12:25:12 pm »
You're right that it is easy if you ignore all the misinformation floating around. The openxcom install instructions should probably be removed, for clarity.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2561 on: May 22, 2016, 06:05:00 pm »
If that mistake makes me "retarded," then so be it.

Come on dude, you love to be insulted or what? It was just a figure of speech not any personal attack. I was just making (forcefully) a point that you did it the 'too smart' way. Also I put a lot of work into making it as easy as possible, by basically giving you package with almost everything set up from get-go.
You don't need any language files from Steam, the mod has everything except original copyrighted UFO files. Also what oxcom readme...? That .md file? Shit my omission, I left it in the main directory because I had no idea what it is. But I cannot delete it since it is OpenXcom and that'd be uncool.
Also OXCom is a wholly different beast than Piratez now - divergent paths. OXCom's architecture and relation with Steam changed since that fork began, while Piratez play by old rules in that aspects - all improvements have been towards gameplay only, not Steam integration (personally I don't even use Steam so no love loss here).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:25:10 pm by Dioxine »

niculinux

« Reply #2562 on: May 22, 2016, 07:11:21 pm »
@Dioxine, since in the upcoming versions even the most basic technologies will have to be researched, may you please make an example of what players would have to expect?

For instance: starting armors will be runt, brainer and rags, so that even the pirate armor will have to be researched?

Edit: also, chances to give up for a linux binary of the modified extended piratez executable? If so, i hope some user would help making it, hopefully one day.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:14:41 pm by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2563 on: May 22, 2016, 08:06:47 pm »
Edit: also, chances to give up for a linux binary of the modified extended piratez executable?

It's in Meridian's thread, first post: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html

niculinux

« Reply #2564 on: May 22, 2016, 08:16:40 pm »
YAY, thanks guys!!!!! <3