aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3612180 times)

Offline grommy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.98E - 30 Apr - Breathless in Cydonia
« Reply #2475 on: May 02, 2016, 10:15:31 am »
Hi! I have a problem starting the game. After installing the latest 0.98E version with the alt-corpses on I get this error: [ERROR]   Resources/Corpses/SHvy_Rifle_i.png:Couldn't open Resources/Corpses/SHvy_Rifle_i.png

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2476 on: May 02, 2016, 03:35:07 pm »
Hi! I have a problem starting the game. After installing the latest 0.98E version with the alt-corpses on I get this error: [ERROR]   Resources/Corpses/SHvy_Rifle_i.png:Couldn't open Resources/Corpses/SHvy_Rifle_i.png

Download the latest Alt-Corpses package from the Alt-Corpses thread.  Replace the old one with the new one.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4424.0.html

Alternately you can scan through the recent pages in this thread and the bugs & crashes thread for manual fixes.

Offline grommy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 02, 2016, 04:07:54 pm »
Download the latest Alt-Corpses package from the Alt-Corpses thread.  Replace the old one with the new one.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4424.0.html

Alternately you can scan through the recent pages in this thread and the bugs & crashes thread for manual fixes.

Searched bugs & crash reports thread and after deleting Piratez_AltCorpse_tester.rul file the game started.  :D

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 02, 2016, 05:35:15 pm »
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the EuroSyndicate laser weapons are a bit too good? They're easy to gain access to, and while they're expensive as hell, money is not tight enough for that to matter much. And they pack a punch, so much so that I'm pretty sure they leave most other laser weapons way behind. It could be I just went ass first up the research tree and got the capability to build competitive laser weapons way later than is possible, but looking back at the 2 and a half years this campaign's been going, I had the ES guns sometime around late 2601 and haven't felt the need to build a single laser apart from Lascannons and Battle Lasers.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 02, 2016, 05:57:53 pm »
The euro syndicate guns are indeed very good but access to them is entirely rng since you need eurosyndicate nation info which is only one of a very big list of get one free techs from a limited pool of sources, mostly specific captives. The smallest get one free list it is present on has 23 possibilities. The longest is well over a hundred. Not stellar odds when you will only see at best a few chances for the right captives per month. Some months you won't have a chance at all.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2480 on: May 02, 2016, 06:12:41 pm »
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the EuroSyndicate laser weapons are a bit too good? They're easy to gain access to, and while they're expensive as hell, money is not tight enough for that to matter much. <snip>

They are really nice weapons!  But... so far for me, (May 2602) I've only bought a few.  I'd rather spend that on research infrastructure and crank through the tech tree.  Scavenged gauss has been great for most of my needs, and I'm getting exotic ammo online now.  I'm still not in that, "Jeeze, what am I gonna spend that 100 million on..." stage so it may be too early to say.  The allure of banking a bunch of that for purchasing VIP abductions from the Mercs is strong too. 

I'd guess it comes down to return on investment.  Do you feel like the ES line pays for itself?

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 02, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »
I'd guess it comes down to return on investment.  Do you feel like the ES line pays for itself?

I do. While the weapons themselves cost a ton, the ammo is priced in a much more sane manner, so once you got the guns they aren't very expensive to keep online. That said, I stuck with only a few hideouts for most of the first 2 years, so I probably had more money sitting around than you.

And yeah, it's very much possible I simply got lucky with RNG in regards of getting the right free research topic early. I also gained access to Mercenary Commandos during the first year, a little before ES, and they definitely helped with acquiring a steady stream of captives to research.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 02, 2016, 07:32:08 pm »
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the EuroSyndicate laser weapons are a bit too good? They're easy to gain access to, and while they're expensive as hell, money is not tight enough for that to matter much. And they pack a punch, so much so that I'm pretty sure they leave most other laser weapons way behind. It could be I just went ass first up the research tree and got the capability to build competitive laser weapons way later than is possible, but looking back at the 2 and a half years this campaign's been going, I had the ES guns sometime around late 2601 and haven't felt the need to build a single laser apart from Lascannons and Battle Lasers.

Don't you dare to touch the ES laser weapons! Now after 4 ingame years I finally have a decent weapon to take on a Mansion mission and here comes Hazard wanting to nerf the thing! Noooooooaaaaaaaaaaargh nononononononononoooooooo!!!!!!  ;D

They are comparable to the Gauss weapons in damage output, they are worse against harder enemies but better against weak enemies, why would you want to nerf them??? Why, oh why?  :-X

All those years of collecting scarce gauss pistol clips led to nothing, still not enough to equip my team after all that time, rng didn't mean it good, then finally, yes! A weapon. With Ammo! And it can be taken on a Mansion mission, oooh, it has slightly lower stats, but otherwise is nice. Expensive? hell yeah, but ok, I need them...

Hazard comes, wants to nerf them.  ::)

Yeah, sure.  >:(  ;)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 02, 2016, 08:07:45 pm »
The problem with eurosydicate lasers IMO is they lack characteristic niche present in the other national guns. The arena weapons are unique deathrace style waepons. Dr wang is big booms to a absurd degree. Even the big ben has character as a super hvy SMG. Euro is just plain this is better gun. Quite bland.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 02, 2016, 08:15:08 pm »
Euro is just plain this is better gun. Quite bland.

Just like an uberexpensive Eurosyndicate weapon should be.  ;D

I hereby declare the ES weapons off-limit to everyone, even Dioxine!  ;D :P
Hell I might be even tempted to make an Eurosyndicate addon-mod just to keep them the way they are!  ;D

Offline Warzameg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:20 pm »
I ran out of things to research and still hadn't unlocked higher studies.  So I bit the bullet and finally started fighting mercenaries, and captured a live star god.  After researching everything these opened up, I still couldn't do it, so I took a look at the tech viewer.  It looks like what I'm missing is a dead mechtoid.  Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing a reticulan vessel in over a year, despite nearly complete landmass radar coverage.  Is there anything I can do here, or do I just need to wait until I get lucky?

(I saw lots of reticulan ships back in the first year, but I stopped shooting them down after a while because they provide poor monetary returns and I seemed to have exhausted the research possibilities of the various live captives.  Oops.)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2486 on: May 02, 2016, 09:20:29 pm »
Just like an uberexpensive Eurosyndicate weapon should be.  ;D

I hereby declare the ES weapons off-limit to everyone, even Dioxine!  ;D :P
Hell I might be even tempted to make an Eurosyndicate addon-mod just to keep them the way they are!  ;D

No worries about that man. I might only increase the clip prices a bit since 'clip saving' patch has been introduced. $25k per mag seemed fine when it was a loss no matter if you fired only once.
And yeah, they're expensive, easy to handle and bland. Just as planned.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 02, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »
Well as long as stuff for other nationals has some spice i can live with a bland.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 03, 2016, 03:04:45 pm »
Just that: I love the Tornado Rocket Mortar. Is this thing great or what? I usually bring 2 gals in Loader armor with Tornados on every out-door mission. 8)
Sure you will maybe lose some loot, kill some civilians, destroy the whole city... but hey, does it kill enemies or what!  ;D

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 03, 2016, 05:20:05 pm »
In my new game, I am waiting and praying to get the ES tech.