Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3612428 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.98D1 - 22 Apr - Fixed Recovery/Capture
« Reply #2385 on: April 23, 2016, 08:46:36 pm »
The lore states that Elerium engines have 99% efficiency, and with no moving parts either, the waste heat would be very low. I also took the liberty of making Plastasteel a heat superconductor, which makes it ideal material for a radiator (and possibly allows ramming through air at Mach 6+). Let's us also not forget that Elerium is more of a energy-storage-molecule than a conventional fuel; batteries usually have high efficiency. However, I do not believe in reactionless drive. I'm not a physicist, but basic newtonian equations point out that such a drive would have an infinite acceleration, which is naturally BS. So it's quite likely (and that's my opinion) only behaving like a reactionless drive, in reality it interacts with the gravitic field of the universe in some fashion. Such 'trick' technology seems to be very much in line with the cunning ways of the Star Gods.

However I noticed how large and empty UFO hulls are in relation to the size of engine. My theory is that you need so much bulk of 'Plastasteel' hull to somehow dissipate all the heat. It might be that personal arms are simply too small to allow more power than Heavy Plasma without too much heat building up.

Clips/magazines issue: while weapons have magazines, I'd wager that you buy and manufacture clips (why pay extra for the casing?). But in battle, you use magazines (except for things like Hunting Rifle). However, an item cannot have two names. Hence, I think that clip is a more fitting name in general, if imperfect. It's the same as with manufacturing 'arrows' while what you see in battle are arrow quivers.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: April 23, 2016, 08:48:22 pm »
1. Gets boring to see all this animation through...

That reminds me of something strange. With some weapons that shoot more than 3 rounds per burst, the projectiles fly very fast. So fast that 5-10 rounds take the same time as the regular 3 round burst of many weapons. I don't know if weapons have individual projectile speeds, or if is only the burst mode with some weapons, but there is some inconsistency between the projectile speed of weapons

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: April 23, 2016, 09:31:40 pm »
Clips/magazines issue: while weapons have magazines, I'd wager that you buy and manufacture clips (why pay extra for the casing?). But in battle, you use magazines (except for things like Hunting Rifle). However, an item cannot have two names. Hence, I think that clip is a more fitting name in general, if imperfect. It's the same as with manufacturing 'arrows' while what you see in battle are arrow quivers.

I'm pretty sure there are no clips involved in most small arms ammunition supply/production chains, there's no need for such. Manufacturer makes the individual cartridges and packages them in containers of various sizes and types, and they're then shipped to retailers or straight to bigger customers, like armies. It's then distributed to troops and loaded into magazines/non-disintegrating belts (or even actual clips in some rare cases) as needed mostly by hand. So while ammo is obviously not produced together with magazines as the game's UI would imply, clips don't fit any better. And because the actual inventory item that the players mostly interact with is usually a magazine of some sort, I think magazine would still be the better term to use.

That reminds me of something strange. With some weapons that shoot more than 3 rounds per burst, the projectiles fly very fast. So fast that 5-10 rounds take the same time as the regular 3 round burst of many weapons. I don't know if weapons have individual projectile speeds, or if is only the burst mode with some weapons, but there is some inconsistency between the projectile speed of weapons

Projectile speed can be changed in the ruleset. The majority of auto-fire weapons probably have the default value, with only the dedicated full-auto weapons receiving higher bullet speeds.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:57:57 pm by Hazard »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2388 on: April 23, 2016, 09:35:09 pm »
@Solarius Scorch, true heat dissipation is an issue but not a large one since a true grav drive doesn't generate heat to provide motive force. Warp effects are  reactionless with regards to the vessel. The two big heat sources in a craft are the power source and the drive. UFO verse has a power source capable of interstellar travel that is relatively safe and low temp, and a non newtonian drive. Seems like low heat system to me.

Yeah, but I was more worried about the heat generated by the crew. A human-sized organism generates a lot of heat, enough for architects to have to calculate heat balance for every room in the building according to how many people will be there (among other things of course).

I also took the liberty of making Plastasteel a heat superconductor (...)

And I guess this closes the issue for me. :)

(This is a bit O-T; maybe we need a separate thread about future tech?)

Offline DoktorV

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: April 23, 2016, 11:11:37 pm »
Where is the updated executable for the Linux version? Hopefully I haven't missed something and made a fool of myself, but there's only a Windows exe in the updated rar.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: April 23, 2016, 11:36:09 pm »
Where is the updated executable for the Linux version? Hopefully I haven't missed something and made a fool of myself, but there's only a Windows exe in the updated rar.

I will make a Linux/Ubuntu executable in 1 hour or so.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 23, 2016, 11:44:30 pm »
I should clarify, i ment reactionless in the sense of pushing your self with thrust(rockets, nuclear pulse, etc). A gravity based drive distorts space making themselves "fall" forward. A reaction is occurring but is a exceptionally low energy system.

Offline DoktorV

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: April 23, 2016, 11:45:28 pm »
I will make a Linux/Ubuntu executable in 1 hour or so.

Thank you!

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: April 23, 2016, 11:48:51 pm »
Something else: I'm at the end of November of the first year, and I have yet to see the academy. :D
I'll find them eventually. (here's the link, if anyone is interested in a German let's play, new gals are always welcome.)

I have only read the first 4 pages yet, but I'd love to join the team.

Name: Merry Diane

EDIT: Linux executable for 0.98d1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YblJLZG40WHhRVGc
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:01:19 am by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2394 on: April 24, 2016, 12:10:47 am »
I'm pretty sure there are no clips involved in most small arms ammunition supply/production chains, there's no need for such. Manufacturer makes the individual cartridges and packages them in containers of various sizes and types, and they're then shipped to retailers or straight to bigger customers, like armies. It's then distributed to troops and loaded into magazines/non-disintegrating belts (or even actual clips in some rare cases) as needed mostly by hand. So while ammo is obviously not produced together with magazines as the game's UI would imply, clips don't fit any better.

True that, I already said clip is just an approximation... Loose ammo doesn't appear in-game in any way, but magazine somehow seems more wrong than a clip...

I should clarify, i ment reactionless in the sense of pushing your self with thrust(rockets, nuclear pulse, etc). A gravity based drive distorts space making themselves "fall" forward. A reaction is occurring but is a exceptionally low energy system.

Interestingly enough, X-Com: Interceptor shows that humans actually mostly rejected these 'reactionless' drives, despite fully mastering the technology. Instead, they still use some sort of rocket drives (ion or otherwise), both in interceptors and missiles (aliens only use quite low performance, if ingenious, missiles). One can only surmise, that the boon is better performance, and the price is larger engine size (a smaller one would melt?), and quite obviously increased fuel consumption. It is beacuse of this Conqueror's engines are proportionally larger than normal.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:16:08 am by Dioxine »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 24, 2016, 12:41:14 am »
Yeah grav based drives are agile and have excellent top speed but utterly atrocious acceleration. A grav drive can apply it "thrust" in any direction it wants in a fraction of the time of a thruster based engine but it has difficulty countering its own momentum. A thruster engine can effectively powerslide through a turn loseing much less momentum. A grav drive has to almost fully cancel its momentum when changing course. Also a thruster based system can have multiple angles of thrust active at the same time. A grave drive can not.

The thruster based craft may need several times the space to turn but it will complete it in a fraction of the time.

Offline Hazard

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: April 24, 2016, 12:52:49 am »
True that, I already said clip is just an approximation... Loose ammo doesn't appear in-game in any way, but magazine somehow seems more wrong than a clip...

Interestingly, the few weapons that could realistically utilize a clip, revolvers and hunting rifles mainly, have either "drum", "rounds" or "ammo" as the ammunition item name, instead of "clip". ;)

Anyway, if for whatever reason you don't want to change it, that's fine (duh, it's your mod). Doing a trivial find and replace job with Notepad++ myself when something new gets added to Piratez_lang.rul is not a big deal. Though it could be I'll just forget, seeing how small of a thing this is. :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:57:37 am by Hazard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2397 on: April 24, 2016, 02:43:03 am »
I could change that to elusive 'mags' but then again there's MAG ammo :)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: April 24, 2016, 11:10:03 am »
The Rod of Bliss is a very interesting device, I like the way you merged all ideas into one tool!  :)
And how you implemented them. Perfect.

But.... *shuffles feet* could it please have a more flamboyant icon/bigob? It looks so tame and not like the PSi-Stun/Hypno/tranquilizer thing it is. I am fine with understatements in most cases, but I think this time it is worth going a bit more overboard.  8)

Please?  :D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2399 on: April 24, 2016, 11:49:35 am »
Well, I'd say it's rather risque-looking already, and not exactly tame, if you know what I mean :3
I'm not against upgrades here, thing is, I don't have any better bigob ATM...