aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609163 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.95C - 29 Oct - Interfaces & Critical Fixes
« Reply #1260 on: November 07, 2015, 04:34:56 pm »
Yeah it's a nice idea with the rope, but it'd make the AI units confused as hell when trying to use it. And I wanted them to do, it's an important flavour of the KKK faction.

As for Gifty's soundtrack, I definitely recommend using it with Piratez. No need to install, just dump the files into Piratez/SOUND directory. I'm using these tracks myself, but if I added them into the release, the filesize goes up from 30 Mb to 65 Mb.

As for the junk piles, they're flavour. You have them in your base from the beginning, and learn how to use them by researching Spring Cleaning. Then you can recycle them into some useful resources, for a better cash value & freeing up the base. Or you can simply sell them immediately for a much worse cash value.

Hum.. So the brainerz developed yet another fancy new tool of mass destruction, but I'm not sure how they could have deemed this one worthy of use.. The Blizzard Pocket MLRS: Fires 6 missiles in quick succession sounds awesome, but 30% accuracy and effective range 6?! How is one supposed to use that?

You need to figure that one out, it has a very specific use in mind (hint: a situation where a Smoke burst is needed NAO, or killing that ONE enemy is needed NAO otherwise everyone is f**ked...) :) Otherwise it's just an incaccurate siege weapon.

Is there an easy way to upgrade from an older version of this mod, or should I just reinstall it each time? I was hoping not to have to mess with my settings again.

To be 200% sure, delete user/mods directory before installing a new version (naturally keeping any extra Piratez mods you might have in the /mods dir won't cause problems). That way you purge any unused/faulty mod files, and at the same time, keep all your saves & settings.

A photon with a rounding error?

Good answer! I might start giving out some sort of prizes... :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:41:40 pm by Dioxine »

Offline apocan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 07, 2015, 06:00:48 pm »
hi again

i want report a bug, when i tried to assembly uac plasmagun battery from broken uac plasmagun battery game crashes
same with bfg battery
i am playing v0.95c

save attached

thanks for awesome mod :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1262 on: November 07, 2015, 06:15:37 pm »
Thanks! Bug found and solved. For a quick fix, what you need to modify in Piratez.rul (in rulesets) (just replace the two entries with these modified ones):

Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_UAC_PLASMAGUN_BATTERY_A
    category: STR_ASSEMBLY
    requires:
      - STR_UAC_BLUEPRINTS
    space: 0
    time: 200
    cost: 500
    requiresBaseFunc: [WORKS]
    requiredItems:
      STR_UAC_PLASMAGUN_BATTERY_BROKEN: 1
      STR_SC_WIRE: 1
    producedItems:
      STR_UAC_PLASMAGUN_BATTERY: 1
    listOrder: 3552

- name: STR_BFG_BATTERY_A
    requires:
      - STR_UAC_BLUEPRINTS
    space: 0
    time: 300
    cost: 750
    requiresBaseFunc: [WORKS]
    requiredItems:
      STR_BFG_BATTERY_BROKEN: 1
      STR_SC_WIRE: 2
    producedItems:
      STR_BFG_BATTERY: 1
    listOrder: 3982

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 07, 2015, 06:47:37 pm »
You need to figure that one out, it has a very specific use in mind (hint: a situation where a Smoke burst is needed NAO, or killing that ONE enemy is needed NAO otherwise everyone is f**ked...) :) Otherwise it's just an incaccurate siege weapon.
Hum.. I can see the smokescreen application, and I'm thinking I might use the incendiary one too (since the front line gals are now fireproof) so I can set a bunch of jungle on fire and light things up at the same time. But the explosive one I guess I'll just keep for farm complexes.. Can't really trust it to take out something, unless it's standing right in front of you and you're wearing Juggernaut. hum..!

Also: I've been lootin' a bunch of supply crafts recently (3 church bases + 1 academy..  :'() and was wondering: Bases only ever need weird rendered down food? Would be cool for some supplies to be materials/weapons/armors too! Then I'd have to assault them because I'd be too curious what they could cary. Now I think I'll skip 'em because the risk is pretty high (baby nukes, gauss and engine blow up) for general loot (although scavenged baby nukes and gauss is nice!).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:51:52 pm by Arthanor »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1264 on: November 07, 2015, 06:54:53 pm »
Yeah it's sort of a placeholder, but also a discouragement from base supply farming.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: November 07, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »
Fair enough, although I'd say the likelihood of loosing a gal (or getting her sent to the sick bay for 3 months) is pretty high given their weaponry, so that's also quite a big disincentive. I am pretty much giving up because of that for now, although I am trying to devise a scheme that would make the casualties less painful.

Something like lots of dogs + rookies scouts, with the actually valuable gals staying safely well away from the front lines and sniping at the enemy, which is quite contrary to my "Leaders at the front in the best gear" typical 40k inspired playstyle.

niculinux

« Reply #1266 on: November 07, 2015, 07:18:05 pm »
Fair enough, although I'd say the likelihood of loosing a gal (or getting her sent to the sick bay for 3 months) is pretty high given their weaponry, so that's also quite a big disincentive. I am pretty much giving up because of that for now, although I am trying to devise a scheme that would make the casualties less painful.

Yep, that the biggest drawback of the game, even with low difficulty settings. I know piratez is designed to be a real challenge, but sometimes it's very frustrating! That is because i think there are too much armored and well armored enemies since the very beginnings. I think those may appear more proportionately, less in the beginning, more  in the advanced game time. Hell since factions ships are raided they should take some countermeasures!

Offline apocan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 07, 2015, 07:25:08 pm »
thanks

i applied the fix you suggested and bfg battery solved but broken uac plasmagun battery assembly dissappeared from manufacturing i wonder did i make something wrong save and rul attached

i also encountered ratman highwayman vs terror mission and psi captured a vehicle or tank that supposed to be not capturable i think and made game crush :) no savegame
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:27:41 pm by apocan »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1268 on: November 07, 2015, 07:36:39 pm »
No wonder it doesn't work, you've deleted the UAC Plasmagun battery manufacture entry, by pasting the BFG battery entry twice :)

For that mission crash, do you have any save from that mission? In theory, it should be impossible to psi-capture something like that, as your max psi attack is around 95 at range = 1, and tanks have 100 defence (more on higher diff level).

EDIT: oh right, you modded it so your gals have stats like 1500+ TUs. No wonder something broke. With 110/110 psi stats, your max psi attack strength is like, 242, allows to easily MC tanks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:46:50 pm by Dioxine »

Offline apocan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 07, 2015, 07:58:01 pm »
No wonder it doesn't work, you've deleted the UAC Plasmagun battery manufacture entry, by pasting the BFG battery entry twice :)

For that mission crash, do you have any save from that mission? In theory, it should be impossible to psi-capture something like that, as your max psi attack is around 95 at range = 1, and tanks have 100 defence (more on higher diff level).

EDIT: oh right, you modded it so your gals have stats like 1500+ TUs. No wonder something broke. With 110/110 psi stats, your max psi attack strength is like, 242, allows to easily MC tanks.

thanks i applied now  fine :)
forget mentioning yes i changed my gals stats so i can capture or explore vs. easily
unfortunately i dont have save file but will post when encounter again

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:00:04 pm by apocan »

Offline Imeryak

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: November 07, 2015, 08:10:16 pm »
Found an error in ruleset, in piratez.rul, line 24154
- name: STR_BOMB_LAUNCHER_A
    requires:
      - STR_PLASMA_SPITTER_PARTS

What should be there (if i am not mistaken)
      - STR_BOMB_LAUNCHER_PARTS

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: November 07, 2015, 08:18:16 pm »
Yep, that the biggest drawback of the game, even with low difficulty settings. I know piratez is designed to be a real challenge, but sometimes it's very frustrating! That is because i think there are too much armored and well armored enemies since the very beginnings. I think those may appear more proportionately, less in the beginning, more  in the advanced game time. Hell since factions ships are raided they should take some countermeasures!
Actually, the supply crafts that I am raiding are from the Church of Sirius, so they are crewed by neophytes and zealots. Neither of those are hard to kill once you spot them. The problem is that those guys are armed with rpgs with baby nukes, and gauss weaponry, so if they find you, they are well able to kill you too.

I used to have problems with armored enemies, but if you pack explosives and flamers early on, then heavy flamers, heavy machine guns or rpgs, the personal armor dudes are fine. The powered armor ones are more tricky, but they can usually be isolated. The only problem I've had was when a trader in gold armor spawned at the front of his task force, so I couldn't approach because all the other traders were covering him.

Now my main challenge is coming up with proper armor for the gals. Heavy armor is ok, but it decreases stats a lot, and juggernaut too (but that nicely makes you immune to a lot of "mainstream" weapons, making normal raids a LOT safer as you can easily tank the shots).

Piratez creates very interesting choices: what can you engage? What is worth the risk of engaging? What is worth the time investment to research? It is very different from vanilla where you can pretty much engage anything (unless you somehow get ethereals before lasers, maybe..). It creates an interesting progression:

1- You need better weapons to take out at least personal armors
2- You want some kind of armor to prevent the gals from dying
3- Concentrate on "easy" raids to get money and grow your first base
4- You need more radar coverage so create satellite bases/zeppelins
5- Your best gals are wasted in regular raids, and still run the risk of getting injured, you need better armor (but that's still too expensive/advanced, and you probably don't have many powered armor parts) or to grow the crew and get a "training base" specializing in taking out easy enemies (so 1-2 gals in tanky armor, or an actual tank, the rest with long range guns to pew-pew stuff).
6- more progression, crazier enemies, need to improve tech and it keeps going from 1.

lol! You abuse the game? The game doesn't want to play anymore.. ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1272 on: November 07, 2015, 08:36:18 pm »
Found an error in ruleset, in piratez.rul, line 24154
- name: STR_BOMB_LAUNCHER_A
    requires:
      - STR_PLASMA_SPITTER_PARTS

What should be there (if i am not mistaken)
      - STR_BOMB_LAUNCHER_PARTS

That was fixed already, thx.

thanks i applied now  fine :)
forget mentioning yes i changed my gals stats so i can capture or explore vs. easily
unfortunately i dont have save file but will post when encounter again

Yeah, cool. I don't normally speak with cheaters, but if there's a bug, I will fix it, that's how this business works.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:39:16 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 07, 2015, 11:58:17 pm »

:o :o 1500 TUs - why?

Offline Imeryak

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: November 08, 2015, 08:39:39 am »
That was fixed already, thx.

Oh, i used a forum search before posting, but found nothing. Btw do you use some sort of validation for ruleset files? I try to parse them and found some duplicate keys, that may be source of bugs.