aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610446 times)

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.95B - 24 Oct - Sink The Bismarck
« Reply #1110 on: October 25, 2015, 10:13:13 pm »
Had this turn up last night:

First -

Then five seconds later (game time)

Also attached save file:

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1111 on: October 25, 2015, 11:30:45 pm »
@jmf: re-load from before the Pogrom, land again. This stuff happens once a few dozen Pogroms on average, most likely due to map generation. You can also try updating maps from Hobbes' UFO redux.

@Roxis: Not a bug. Try guessing what travels at 583 151 000 knots.

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 25, 2015, 11:35:27 pm »
last save game was the last progrom XD, oh well i just lost some research nothing serious

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 25, 2015, 11:40:13 pm »
Try guessing what travels at 583 151 000 knots.

A photon with a rounding error?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:41:44 pm by Zharkov »

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #1114 on: October 25, 2015, 11:55:53 pm »
Had this turn up last night:

First -

Then five seconds later (game time)

Also attached save file:

Feature, not a bug. I don't think it's mentioned/listed anywhere in the Bootypedia yet.

@Dioxine ;
Spoiler:
perhaps a mention in the STR_HYPERWAVES_UFOPEDIA or STR_ALIEN_TERROR_UFOPEDIA? I don't think they require a Hyperwave Decoder but could be inserted somewhere.
Code: [Select]
Cap'n, some factions don't have access to big enough ships for proper raiding, so they'll attack cities by land instead. In such events, the Mutant Alliance will dispatch a decoded Hyperwave message to notify us. However, the decision to provide help is still ultimately yours, Cap'n.

Offline Styar Dark

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:36 am »
Hi there! Great work you have done I really enjoy this mod. I have a bug report and some thinks to improve the game.
1. The dark ones still crash the game. As I can see from terror mission I have done (with a great deal of save-loads) it is spectres or pinkyes that can cause a problem, usually when they try to bite something. it can be avoided by save at the end of each turn/load  while save cheating is on.
2.The  other thing - a autocannon have more damage then heavy cannon if i can believe to the bootypedia. Maybe it is feature of the game but it is really strange.
3. A gals morals and first hads general characteristics force me to think I have a team of crippled hystericanl-pacifistic vegeterians that can do nothing short of whining berserking and running around in panic. As I thougt nothing with bravery lesser than 30-40 have enouth eggs to be a pirat, and "super awesome very strong and fast mutants" shold have sligtly better start stats bottom cap. Some enemyes on the other hand seems logically to be have bravery and melee stats reduced, not to make game easier but to make it more logical in details. Academitial whith moral 70-80 and melee stats the same seems to have some classes in martial arts before academy!
4. Some melee weaponds that are not technically are "1 tile shoottas" like chainaxe cant hit enemy diagonally. Maby it is possible to give them 1.5 tile range or something like that?
5 I think would be good to add some info in bootypedia about weapons: its loaded weight, clip size, auto bursts in auto and one/2 hands needed.
6. Err.. a bit bizzard question, but why muzzel loaded weapons have 3-4 charges? Only game balance concideration or sophisticated system with three charges of gunpowder and "smart" 3-position fkintlock trigger? But muskets and pistol still suks even with 3 round clip.
P.S. Sorry for my bad English and length of the post.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1116 on: October 26, 2015, 04:12:49 am »
1. The dark ones still crash the game. As I can see from terror mission I have done (with a great deal of save-loads) it is spectres or pinkyes that can cause a problem, usually when they try to bite something. it can be avoided by save at the end of each turn/load  while save cheating is on.

I'll look into it... again. This faction is over year old and has bred countless problems since beginning.

2.The  other thing - a autocannon have more damage then heavy cannon if i can believe to the bootypedia. Maybe it is feature of the game but it is really strange.

Compare the weights of both weapons and you might be enlightened.

3. A gals morals and first hads general characteristics force me to think I have a team of crippled hystericanl-pacifistic vegeterians that can do nothing short of whining berserking and running around in panic. As I thougt nothing with bravery lesser than 30-40 have enouth eggs to be a pirat, and "super awesome very strong and fast mutants" shold have sligtly better start stats bottom cap. Some enemyes on the other hand seems logically to be have bravery and melee stats reduced, not to make game easier but to make it more logical in details. Academitial whith moral 70-80 and melee stats the same seems to have some classes in martial arts before academy!

Not true with the melee stat, (although it is inconsequential for most enemies anyway), rarely anyone even approaches the level of 70-80 which is barely adequate for your soldiers. The high enemy bravery is simply caused by game's balance. If I dropped that by, say, 20 across the board, the enemies would be instantly panicking after you killed a few. Where's the fun in fighting enemy who can't fight back? As for the low Bravery of pirates, again - where's the fun in stats so high that they become irrelevant? That's another challenge - either learn to fight in a way that overcomes the problem (protip: keep killing enemies), or overcome it through other means (bravery screening, bravery boosting armor). Also generally higher base stats make for more boring gameplay and much less space for improvement. At top stats the gals are really killing machines. You just need to understand while their potential is great, most of them are basically teenage gangers, training-wise, when they join the ranks. They might be superhumans, but not infallible American Heroes - they still have their failings and can be killed or scared despite all their toughness.

4. Some melee weaponds that are not technically are "1 tile shoottas" like chainaxe cant hit enemy diagonally. Maby it is possible to give them 1.5 tile range or something like that?

Not possible. Integers only. This might finally become a thing of the past when melee attacks against terrain will be finally possible.

5 I think would be good to add some info in bootypedia about weapons: its loaded weight, clip size, auto bursts in auto and one/2 hands needed.

Yeah sure, and where do we put that? These articles simply won't take so much info without being completely cluttered and bereft of flavour text... Plus somebody would have to write all that. Isn't it simpler to just take the weapon for a spin and check by yourself? Plus - all this info will be available online... at some point, so no reason to despair :)

6. Err.. a bit bizzard question, but why muzzel loaded weapons have 3-4 charges? Only game balance concideration or sophisticated system with three charges of gunpowder and "smart" 3-position fkintlock trigger? But muskets and pistol still suks even with 3 round clip.

Either kind of unrealistic 3-round clips, or you'd be able to take only a handful of shots due to limited inventory space. I've decided it would just be overtly impractical in game terms. Oh and almost completely unusueable by AI. And self-imposed lower weight limit of 2 for all items (under the game mechanics, you can easily throw any weight 1 item into low Earth orbit). The other option - unlimited ammo - is used for bows/crossbows, but here I've decided it'd be bad.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:17:23 am by Dioxine »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:14 am »
Finally there was no other option than going back to unlimited ammo for tanks' secondary armaments. With that in mind, tank/autocannon was demoted to basic MG as a secondary weapon (but its main gun's power was buffed in 0.95B anyway).

Attaching a hotfix that fixes the tanks and also fixes the soldier ranks display (now they're visible in the Hideout menu as well). Let me know if there are any further problems.

Thanks for the hot fix. My comment:
Spoiler:
the exploit of having ammo is still there, the ammo is unlimited for the aux gun, but somehow the aux ammo counter still gets "refunded" as main gun ammo.
I was wondering why I ran out of space after a land-take-off operation if I haven't recovered anything. For example, in the attached save game. Check the HT Railgun count (3027+2x25 in the Bonny = 3077), send the Bonny to the wreckage in North America. Land. Take off. Then you will be prompted to empty the storage excess items. The new counter of HT Railgun is 3577, or 2x250 more than before.

Not that I'm complaining for free money   ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1118 on: October 26, 2015, 05:58:14 am »
Yeah I've noticed that, I have no idea what the hell is causing that. Especially since you get refunded - 256 ammo or something like that, not 360 as per old MG ammo count... :/ The funny thing is I've just restored the old code. Maybe it has something to do with leftovers, some kind of infection that was caused by the new code and stayed even when it was rolled back??? :/

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1119 on: October 26, 2015, 08:16:24 am »
Trying inventory screen recolors, since the ranks have different color now. What about that one? Not too cold/boring/sad?

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #1120 on: October 26, 2015, 09:13:30 am »
For a second there, I thought that was a hint at possible TFTD content with the bubbles, blue colors, and bikini... except that's the gym suit!

I dunno, blue doesn't feel right. The gray text for everything else seems to work well... maybe a darker red or amber for the Icon/Name.

so many colors to choose from!

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 26, 2015, 09:49:23 am »
Yeah I've noticed that, I have no idea what the hell is causing that. Especially since you get refunded - 256 ammo or something like that, not 360 as per old MG ammo count... :/ The funny thing is I've just restored the old code. Maybe it has something to do with leftovers, some kind of infection that was caused by the new code and stayed even when it was rolled back??? :/

Yes, I checked the ruleset bits and indeed they are the same. It appears there is a problem with " clipSize: -1"  in " AUX_TANK_GAUSS" (the option I tested/checked).

But if I put " clipSize: -2" it appears to work, the aux weapon ammo does not get "refunded" into main weapon ammo anymore. I tested it before launch, on a single battle, firing and hitting things, and only on the HT Gauss. Of course, further independent testing is required. I'm not familiar with OXCE code (type of variable defined, etc), so I cannot say for sure why it appears to work ("flips around"?).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1122 on: October 26, 2015, 11:44:50 am »
Yes, I checked the ruleset bits and indeed they are the same. It appears there is a problem with " clipSize: -1"  in " AUX_TANK_GAUSS" (the option I tested/checked).

But if I put " clipSize: -2" it appears to work, the aux weapon ammo does not get "refunded" into main weapon ammo anymore. I tested it before launch, on a single battle, firing and hitting things, and only on the HT Gauss. Of course, further independent testing is required. I'm not familiar with OXCE code (type of variable defined, etc), so I cannot say for sure why it appears to work ("flips around"?).

-2? I wouldn't come up with this in a 1,000 years! Awesome, I'll try it. Maybe there was some behaviour change... Also, added floorobs and handobs for Doom demons' weapons, just finished a Pogrom w/o any crashes. Here's hoping the issue is solved. Finally - I think I came up with something I like, inventory screen-wise:

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 26, 2015, 04:33:02 pm »
That looks good! But I don't know if it looks "Piratez" to me. It gives off a more techy-serious vibe, than the retro-tongue-in-cheek one I have come to associate with Piratez.

Much like the whole base is gold, I think of our pirates a boisterous (Yarrr/Nay) ridiculous (pirate outfit? berets? bikinis and thongs?) loot oriented (who would have a whole base covered in gold?!) pirate-type. Warm colours (woods, golds, reds) fit with this and gold for ranks and maybe bits of the UI, along with "full" colours, could work well.

If you want to stick to grey, I would adjust the base to be more cold-steel colours and then it goes more for the cold efficient killer pirate twist, but that might also require a fair change in writing to get the feel right.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1124 on: October 26, 2015, 04:38:49 pm »
I'm kinda with Arthanor on this one... the gold vibe of the base blew me away when I saw it and that first defense was such an epic battle for me, its permanently ingrained in my memory.   I like the idea of warmer colors for the inventory screens, but I think the effort to harmonize them with the new ranks is a great idea too.  I had a whole schema for alternate ranks sketched out too, but I never had time to work on it. :(  Would it be possible to color shift the ranks to warmer tones?? just an idea. :)