Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610348 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended - 0.95A - 3 Oct - Star Gods' Revenge
« Reply #885 on: October 07, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »
Still going for the Wikia site, or Ufopedia?

I'm sticking with Wikia for now. Ufopaedia is foreign territory for me, and Wikia is just easier for everyone to help.

Speaking of helping: I'd like to ask you people to help with adding units, because it's just so many of them. It's easy, since I prepared the template and everything. And here's the instructions:
1) Create the page, for example "Trader Security", and start editing it.
2) Go to the source editor mode.
3) At the very top, type
Code: [Select]
{{Infobox_unit}}4) If the unit has a Ufopaedia description (almost all do), type:
Code: [Select]
== Bootypedia description ==
(Ufopaedia text here)
[[Category:Units]]
5) Go back to the Visual Editor (normal editor mode, with formatting)
6) Click on the grey-highlighted name of the unit on the right. This opens the template. (Note: if it blabbers something about no specified parameters instead, just close the message and try again.)
7) Fill in the forms on the template (unit stats and such).
8) Save.

See here how it's supposed to look like.

Note that there's an option for adding a picture, but there are no unit pictures yet, since I need to set some standard for these. For now, just omit it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:15:32 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #886 on: October 07, 2015, 08:27:44 pm »
Okay.. here is a quick square graphic for discussion purposes.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 07, 2015, 11:51:24 pm »
Capt'n's Log - Feb 15, 2016

Today the world ended 'cuz some stupid spartan did somethin'...

======

Or rather.. I got a CTD on a spartan terror mission in the "aliens" turn, and I can't figure out why. I went into debug mode and I think it happens when certain spartans try to shoot. I deleted the first faulty spartan (a scout at position 41,32,0) from my save (attached below) and the turn went longer. She had a civilian straight above her, so it seems likely the first thing she would do is shoot. Then watched as they moved around a bit until another spartan did something and the game CTD'd again.

Is there a way to check an "alien"'s inventory in debug mode? I couldn't find it.. I only ever worked with XCom weapons where you know exactly what prompts crashes since you're in charge. Hopefully that's enough info any ways. I'll be happy to look into things more later if you can tell me how!

===

Edit: Also, as you can see from the save, I have had 0 activity registered from the spartans both times they launched their terror missions. I usually try to figure out where a terror will happen by tracking graphs, and then to move some interception capabilities there to at least loot some of the scouts, but there doesn't seem to be a thing (not that I could do anything about it at this point any ways though..) So they don't seem to do pre-terror recon flights as we are used to from vanilla. Is that intended?

Edit2: Went browsing in the ruleset after asking. Seems to work as intended. Nice work for the early pogroms!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:07:18 am by Arthanor »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #888 on: October 08, 2015, 10:57:25 am »
From reading earlier in the thread, there is a chance that the pogrom missions crash. To fix that you can reload your save with the savecumming option on to generate a new pogrom, of give the offending spartan 100 fatal wounds to instantly kill him/her.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #889 on: October 08, 2015, 12:22:09 pm »
Most likely a map crash. You can check their equips in debug... but only after their turn ends and you get to control them. The best option out is just like Boltgun said. I will check this save when I have the time, but there is no point in waiting. I guess I need to upgrade to the newest Hobbes' terrains, but he's not supporting all his terrains I'm using (buggy, old, uniteresting - but I have a bit lower standards :) ).

Indeed this mission works as intended. These easy Pogroms are conducted by groups who can't afford ships (or proper weapons), and get to the Pogrom site by land. There was supposed to be a separate briefing but this is impossible ATM. If there will be activity, prepare for a much harder fight with well-equipped, terror-unit-packing enemies.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:23:57 pm by Dioxine »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 08, 2015, 03:30:41 pm »
Apperently i had a pogrom crash about spartans too,maybe you should check their code for pogroms.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 08, 2015, 07:03:21 pm »
Well, I know how to kill (or outright delete) units from a save, that's no issue. I wish there was a way to see what the unit intends to do before it does it, so we could see what is happening. I will look more into it when I have the time, to check which units cause crashes and if I can find their what they are using.

I had a spartan terror as my first terror and that one worked fine, so it must be possible.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 08, 2015, 07:28:39 pm »
Most likely a map crash. You can check their equips in debug... but only after their turn ends and you get to control them. The best option out is just like Boltgun said. I will check this save when I have the time, but there is no point in waiting. I guess I need to upgrade to the newest Hobbes' terrains, but he's not supporting all his terrains I'm using (buggy, old, uniteresting - but I have a bit lower standards :) ).

Before you looking at the terrains for the cause of the bug (which is entirely possible, but since it isn't mentioned it can be a vanilla terror terrain), there are several issues that can be responsible for the CTD based on my experience from Redux:
1) Incorrect weapon definitions (sounds, sprites)
2) Incorrect unit definitions (corpses)
3) Flying units not having the required sprites

You need to verify the ruleset for all of these since they won't appear on the save.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:30:16 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 08, 2015, 08:03:15 pm »
I'll look for those. As I said, I know one of them is a spartan scout, and I can find what the other soldiers who cause the crash are. Since I don't see them shoot, it's not a corpse problem (nothing has died yet) and they don't fly. So I'll just quickly check what units cause the crash, what guns they can have and if I can fire those guns in battle mode to see if the weapon definitions are good.

I'll post a screenshot for the terrain if needed. It isn't a vanilla one, it's the same as this one in Meridian's LP.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 09, 2015, 12:50:38 am »
Alright just started this up. The sheer amount of research required is humongous!!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #895 on: October 09, 2015, 10:10:59 am »
1) Incorrect weapon definitions (sounds, sprites)
2) Incorrect unit definitions (corpses)
3) Flying units not having the required sprites

You need to verify the ruleset for all of these since they won't appear on the save.

Naw, it's checked and re-checked dozens of times, got these problems when I was a beginner but not nowadays.
...Is the Spartan Scout in question armed with a pistol and a melee weapon? She also has a grenade, which has me worried - what if the game crashes because she decides she must throw grenade, but she has no (free) hands?

(the map is Dawn City, it's crash-free afaik; map crashes happen on Railyard and Commercial).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:13:57 am by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 09, 2015, 10:38:25 am »
Regarding the Bootypedia, I made two new templates: {{Infobox_weapon}} and {{Infobox_ammo}}. They can be seen here and here. Please use them.

It's a bummer we can't have two infoboxes of the same type on one page, otherwise we wouldn't have to make separate entries for clips...

Oh, and in case you didn't get the message, it's all so that you all can help out! :P

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 09, 2015, 10:57:30 am »
Dioxine, I need to add two more weapons to the bootypedia ingame? What list index do you suggest? The way they are now they are overwriting two other weapons...

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #898 on: October 09, 2015, 10:59:16 am »
Nice job, I only have a few questions.

So attacks use a % of time units and others use a fixed cost. By default, what does the infobox shows?

Also, is the reaction bonus associated with the ammo in the rulesets?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 09, 2015, 11:03:15 am »
So attacks use a % of time units and others use a fixed cost. By default, what does the infobox shows?

By default, it shows what you enter... Which makes me think it should be written 65% instead of 65, unless it's flat cost. And the cost should specifically say "TUs", because some cases also have other cost. I'll fix it now for the Commando Rifle.

Also, is the reaction bonus associated with the ammo in the rulesets?

If you mean bonus to damage, then yes. Although the weapon box also contains all this stuff, because some weapons don't have clips.