aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3608940 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2015, 03:21:24 am »
That is a really good system! Nicely done Yankes!

I thought you said "beer and vodka" first, and I was gonna say this should be a new tier of item. Looking for a beer cocktails, the first hit was a "Depth Charge", surprisingly piratical, isn't it? Looking forward to that too!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:51 am »
That's not the first time someone asks me "how about cocktails?", the idea is rad but frankly speaking I can't think what would they do in game terms (just massive healing seems a bit... boring and would remove the current healing items balance...)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2015, 05:29:57 am »
I meant I am looking forward to the gals being able to down their own drink! ;)

Regarding cocktails, one thing that is missing before you discover rum is a stimulant. The beer is sorta does it, but it doesn't heal stun damage which would be really valuable in Piratez. I think a Depth Charge type drink (unlocked after researching the vodka? requires 1 beer + 1 vodka) could fit in. Then it would be:

Startup:
Beer: The only stim..
Vodka: remove wounds without healing = good for captives
Bandage: The surgery is too heavy and expensive

Bit Later:
Depth Charge: Heal non-valuables + Recover from smoke/exhaustion
Field Surgery kit: The real healer

Finally:
Rum: Pretty much the best
Combat drugs: If you are willing to sink that low/can get 'em.

That might be too many tiers in what is still the "early" part of the game, but honestly I never bothered with beer. Early on, the gals just can't afford to carry much and beer is not worth the weight, later it is replaced by other drinks. Having a Beer+Vodka cocktail would actually make beer useful as an ingredient at least.

Vodka remains valuable to keep captives alive without healing them (so they don't wake up from the healing!). The cocktail gives an early stim which helps with smoke, and since it's cheaper than rum might remain in use a bit. Rum isn't replaced because it's awesome (and the most piratey drink!), combat drugs remain the sought after stim.

Just a suggestion, of course ;) I still have a modder's tendency but I enjoy playing Piratez too much, so you get to be bothered by all my suggestions and overlong posts.. Your fault for making such an enjoyable mod!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2015, 07:02:07 am »
But the beer does heal stun damage, and more than anything but Combat Drugs at that...??? The only downside being it has only a single shot. But it weighs only 2 units.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 07:37:19 am »
Uh? :o Well that changes things!

My "flavour text" reads:
Tastes like piss but possesses a pretty solid kick. Quickly downing it heals 1 Wound and 1 HP, or restores 15 Energy. 1 use per battle each.

Rum and Grog both say that they heal 12 stun + 25 Energy, combat drugs 30 stun + 50 energy. Since the beer didn't say anything about stun, I assumed it did not heal any and never tried it.

Time to buy the gals a round of beer! :D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2015, 08:38:18 am »
Damn it, the Pedia description is wrong, my fault. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2015, 03:08:56 pm »
Regarding communicating the accuracy to the player: wouldn't it be OK to make a tiny change to the code to show basic to-hit stat in the inventory?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2015, 04:11:01 pm »
Damn it, the Pedia description is wrong, my fault. :)
Damn it dude! I trusted you! I trusted you!!

*recovers from the panic caused by potential errors in the Pedia*

Just joking :D I think Piratez has a very different experience for first time players compared to once you "know" it. Discovering which craft will blow you up, which will land so you don't need to destroy them, which way to research to get relevant things instead of things that are just good in the future, which armour to go for, etc. All things that veteran pirates know but that are totally entirely new if it's your first time and make the experience rather different.

I love being in the dark and trying to figure it out though (found the 50mm ammo now! :D). It reminds me of playing the original as a 13 year old trying to make sense of it all while translating the english to french. And now Piratez will be new for everyone again once it moves to Extended!

@Solarius: That might work, but you'd need to say what shot that is too. 57 Autoshot is great, 57 on an aimed shot.. meh.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2015, 11:21:52 pm »
Regarding communicating the accuracy to the player: wouldn't it be OK to make a tiny change to the code to show basic to-hit stat in the inventory?

Well, breaking news: weapons often have more than 1 firing mode. :) Honestly I fail to see any advantage of this.

About the Pedia: I understand your concerns. Thankfully I have a perfect solution: I will introduce a new article on the 1st page, with big words DON'T PANIC on it :) Honestly though, the text is generally very well edited and often re-checked.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:27:03 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2015, 01:03:29 am »
It's not really a concern though. I was joking ;)

I've found the work you've done relating what is a LOT of information to be great. I have never been unable to find information I was looking for. Telling even the weight and effect of items (ex.: how much is healed per wound) is going beyond what vanilla did and it's awesome, especially in a formatted, consistent way.

I love the occasional reference drops, very much enjoyed a project I obtained after researching academician booty. Having "Don't panic!" somewhere would be rather fitting!

Offline Vesparco

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2015, 01:47:31 pm »
Bringing the topic of translations. Have you any aid or offer to translate the mod? I can do it to spanish if you like.

BTW I apologize to all for the lack of progress on the leaders mod. I've just moved to another country for work and I am quite messed up with the relocation and the paperwork :S.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2015, 04:03:27 pm »
You're the first person coming with any translation proposition. Sure, I'd be honored! Since I'm in the middle of overhauling the Pedia, though (for the Extended version), I'd like to send you the file once it's more or less done (today or tomorrow).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2015, 08:12:55 pm »
Currently I am working on complex melee weapons systems (looks like for some people, just plain old won't do, so it's actually more complex than I've first anticipated, no quadratic functions, though). Here's a sneak peek on how the Poisoned Dagger works now - it has been changed to Piercing, as it works due to piercing armor. It causes much lower damage now, but the poison has been represented by the fact that armor is partially ignored, and any damage inflicted causes some pretty solid Morale losses, and increased Stun damage (as compared to normal weapons).
There are more general infos too, which will vary depending on melee weapon:
Skill used (this is based on Melee, but it can be based, ex. on 50+Melee/2, Throwing, Throwing*1.5 - 25 etc.
Power bonus: bonus to weapon's power; here you get +1 per every 10 Melee Skill you have. With cutlass, you'd get +50% Strength and +20% Meleee Skill in bonus Power. This can also be Bravery or Throwing for very special weapons.
Let me know what do you think of this system.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2015, 08:35:59 pm »
 :o

Wow.
Very complex.  My analysis tables are going to get crazy.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2015, 09:01:13 pm »
That looks cool. Looks like all the info is there, but what's "Pain [5]"?