Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3692684 times)

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle
« Reply #8910 on: January 27, 2024, 08:06:40 pm »
You are given 6-8 base slots for a reason. Use them ASAP.
The more radar coverage you have, the more money you get.
In the main base I run a single hangar with a speedy car for an aircar race mission. Reason is that late game researches require so many prerequisite buildings that there's not enough place to do everything from your main.
Usually I have specialized interception base (you can use up to 4 ships in one interception, and using them together saves time on repair and reloading), Crew base (with 4-5 different ships for different missions) & training facilities, one plantation base for sectoweed, research base (a lot of prisons), and the rest are manufacturing bases.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle
« Reply #8911 on: January 27, 2024, 08:11:55 pm »
Fuck you, the Scorpion is great. Starting with 2-4 enemy spawns right next to the craft means you can get into melee on turn 1, and the very open nature of the craft forces you to disembark and scramble for cover on turn 1. I agree that the rest of Red's craft lineup is hit-or-miss though. Scarab is basically a heavily-armed Aircar and Snake is awkward and inconvenient.

Wow, what an advantage! I, too, very much enjoy braving reaction fire to get into the cover that most other craft provide on turn 1!

So, how many hangars do you normaly build in your starting base? I ran across the problem that I can't do underwater missions with just 2 hangars, and worry I might need a 3rd anyway, but I f'ed up my baselayout a bit, and don't exactly want to destory my workshop and rebuild it.

Everyone's favourite answer: It depends! Usually it is anywhere from 2 to 3, but I have, on ocasion, even went up to 4. Some craft can pull double duty. Some cannot. Depends on tech level, depends on what craft you have available. Sometimes even depends on whether you are rich enough to just sell/buy craft on demand.

As to second bases, you do not need to worry about it overmuch. I play JS, and due to JS things I cannot justify secondary bases until way late in first year or early second year. A quick meta play from the JS playbook is AA facilities that also provide ground turrets. The earliest of them being Flak Cannons (NOT flak towers).

The easiest difficuly is extremely lenient with strategic timetables.

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: January 28, 2024, 03:40:22 am »
I know I am annoying, but finding answers to specific questions can be quite hard, I apologise.

So, how many hangars do you normaly build in your starting base? I ran across the problem that I can't do underwater missions with just 2 hangars, and worry I might need a 3rd anyway, but I f'ed up my baselayout a bit, and don't exactly want to destory my workshop and rebuild it.

Also not sure if I can finance (and defend) a true second base.
I usually build a third hangar in my starting base, and I always build at least one hangar (usually 2) in every expansion base. One hangar for a fighter, one hangar for a shuttle, one hangar for either building more craft or using Lil'Bird/Bikes/etc. to farm glamour. You want at least one hangar in every base for providing interceptors, and some bases should have two hangars for additional mission teams. Once you unlock better aircraft like the Hunter-Killer or Predator interceptors it's also viable to make a base at either pole with up to four hangars to provide fighter coverage to an entire hemisphere.

As other people have mentioned, expanding early and often is important for expanding your radar/intercept coverage, scaling up your economy, and providing more special mission craft. With that said, I often don't find myself building more bases until at least the middle of year 1, sometimes as late as year 2. I like the comfy feel of a small pirate krew and the main bottleneck is being able to provide garrison troops that can handle Stormrats. Once you unlock Dojos you should build one in every base to train your Hands/Peasants/etc. but otherwise it's mostly about rotating mid-tier and high-tier troops out of mission duty and into garrison roles.

Wow, what an advantage! I, too, very much enjoy braving reaction fire to get into the cover that most other craft provide on turn 1!
Taking reaction fire is a feature, not a bug; use a shield and/or rookie. Scrambling for cover forces you to appreciate the map and prevents you from camping the craft.
You lack fighting spirit, and you do not understand the way of the Red Codex. Khorne is displeased.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 03:43:40 am by Psyentific »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: January 28, 2024, 02:07:31 pm »
I can appreciate the map from inside my Shadowbat, thank you very much. If Khorne is displeased, he can go whine to the Pope.

Offline John___Doe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: January 28, 2024, 08:27:24 pm »
A very basic plantation base with two burrows and an outpost can hold 45 troops. 30-40 Dogs with landmines can comfortably if bloodily defend against stormrats on DJ.

Offline yuriski

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: January 29, 2024, 01:15:50 pm »
Ok, is there another big spike in Oct. of the 1st year? Or is my game really cursed? Just had -1.7k result. With enemy shipping of over 10k.

Edit: Basically, I am back to worrying about losing. If I didn't have fun playing, I would wonder if this stress is really worth it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:21:39 pm by yuriski »

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: January 29, 2024, 02:17:11 pm »
big spikes in activity can correspond to enemy Build Base missions happening, especially if there's a consistent baseline of activity in the region/country afterwards. see if you can narrow the spike down to a specific region or country and then send a craft to patrol overhead for a few hours.
consider using outfits like Bikini and craft like Lil'Bird, V8 and Bikes which spawn glamour (ie score) when you use them in missions.

Offline yuriski

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: January 29, 2024, 02:28:37 pm »
big spikes in activity can correspond to enemy Build Base missions happening, especially if there's a consistent baseline of activity in the region/country afterwards. see if you can narrow the spike down to a specific region or country and then send a craft to patrol overhead for a few hours.
consider using outfits like Bikini and craft like Lil'Bird, V8 and Bikes which spawn glamour (ie score) when you use them in missions.

The Glamour item gives extra score? Anyway, I am really just frustrated, since I think I know the problem (to much airtraffic and can't shoot shit down), but I can't do anything about it, since DAREDEVIL and LITTLE BIRD are slow as hell and still the only craft I can both arm and supply with ammo (since Jack won't give me missions for some reason, and spike rockets can't be put on a Piranha).

Edit: ....Is the wiki halfway up to date? I looked 'Matrix Powered Flight' up and now I notice that I should be able to get 'Contact: Ship Junkyard', but I don't have it in Research.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 03:09:49 pm by yuriski »

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: January 30, 2024, 12:11:52 am »
Finish researching Gunwagon and than Angrybird and you'll be able to get junkyard.

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: January 30, 2024, 12:27:47 am »
Also, use "q" key to open search function. Use middle mouse button on technology to get detailed information and again use "q" key to search from all technologies.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: January 30, 2024, 01:52:02 am »
According to (not updated) online bootypedia turtle's crew capacity is 12, but since it is supposed to be the larger and wider craft in the game, might i suggest to increase its capacity to 18 or even 20?

Offline yuriski

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: January 30, 2024, 09:46:28 pm »
Now that I have finally gotten the 30mm cannon, things have been going better.

Anyway, since I saw someone mention that they turned their starting base into a science base, and me noticing that, with runts and brainers, I am at nearly my (current) max of 155 people:

Do some/most of you also make a dedicated 'production' base?

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: January 30, 2024, 10:31:20 pm »
On the second difficulty I have 4-5 production bases. You can't win without making a spaceship which takes years of workhours (160 years give or take).
Late game industry requires you to have at least 3*3 and 2*2 buildings, then enough living space to fill 500+ runts...

Offline Xylon666Darkstar

• Captain
  • "With Doom, We Come."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: January 31, 2024, 11:41:17 pm »
By mid-late game I try to make 1 of my last 5 hideouts a dedicated factory base. Ideally have 3 total super late game, with at least one of them having a hangar for craft production. The first of these may be a plantation base and/slaves/exotic dancers holding base.

And not before I have my first 3 'standard bases',

Offline SufferNot

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: February 01, 2024, 01:53:36 am »
Now that I have finally gotten the 30mm cannon, things have been going better.

Anyway, since I saw someone mention that they turned their starting base into a science base, and me noticing that, with runts and brainers, I am at nearly my (current) max of 155 people:

Do some/most of you also make a dedicated 'production' base?

I certainly do. Dunno if that's the standard thing to do or not though. There's a lot of dependency buildings in this game, which seems to lend itself towards specialization. And besides that's what I would do in base Xcom, so its second nature. You start to get better crafting recipes, to the point that dedicated engineering bases easily pay for themselves. I also tend to have an interception hangar and a troop carrier/support vehicle hangar in each base, since some missions require specific kinds of craft to participate in.