Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610259 times)

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - M4 6-Jan-2022 Peasant Revolution
« Reply #8355 on: January 30, 2022, 10:06:58 pm »
I started a new game on Blackbeard. First month perfect, over 2000 points. In February something was sucking my points. I suspect early bandit ships. Those slow with short radars. March was very nice, a bit too peaceful, typical silence before the storm. April as in every time I attempt to play on Blackbeard after sky ninjas patch, it's a fortress month. Somehow I managed to close with 300 points on positive side thanks to research finishing on last day. May was horrible. UFO after UFO. 6 different small ships landed in my radar range. My raiding party detected a cluster of mediums with 2 large ones over Europe. All with radars. With much pain I closed May with 800 points. I did not even had a chance to build little bird, nor do I have a use for it anymore. Before I could even make a third hangar I already had access to Aircar and landed small UFO's gave me 25mm guns and a lot of ammo for them.

So I have a question.
Can I somehow delay this situation? What can I do to prolong early game to make the little bird and other slow interceptors useful?
Can Ninja fortress be delayed? Is this my bad luck or is it fixed to spawn in April on Blackbeard difficulty?

-Ninja airfields are fixed spawns.  The outposts that they spawn are not though.  Do you mean delayed as in fight them later or delayed as in change the .ruls?  You don't need to fight them immediately at all.  I attempted my first jack sparrow outpost raid in august and had to retreat after killing 50+ ninjas using chainmail, legion, and an armored car.  Kinda sucks just barely losing xD

If you want to remove the bases to give yourself more time or something, just go to the faction.rul, find "ninjabase1script" (and other ninjabase scripts) under "ninjastuff" and change the firstmonth variable.  January is month 0.  Captain kidd is difficulty 0.

-Biggest way by a longshot I've found to combat low infamy and general money woes is getting bounty hunt C ASAP.  I was able to get the glamour for it recently by end of april by doing a few missions with a v8, wearing any bikinis and party dresses I found, and playing fast.  Nothing says infamy like a successfully raided humanist villa.  Ended up maintaining 7-9k/month from May onwards.  Sell mutanist files liberally and gamble like there's no tomorrow.

-Most early interceptors are unfortunately quite useless.  Even if they catch a HK they'll run away before the chainguns kills them.  I do not build the little bird, buckaroos, or incinerator at all, e.g.  I have found the harvester useful for downing zepellins, armored patrols, and military convoys, but only when fully decked out.  But yeah, it's mostly either going to be cars/pirhannas/jetbikes/shadowcraft.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:15:35 pm by Greep »

Offline Requiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: January 31, 2022, 02:16:21 am »
Ultimoos,
In 4.0 first ninja airfield appear is scripted on 3+ difficulty, not sure  wich research topics can do this. Im on 3. difficulty too and for me airfield become fortress only at the middle of the second year or so. They builded 2 more airfields at the beggining of the 3 year.
- Ninja Balancing: No longer extra 3 Ninja bases appear due to tech progression. Last scripted base appears later on Blackbeard+ now. However, bases can appear endlessly with a small chance from 2603 onwards.

If first ninja base appeared right next to your base in early game it's better to start a new game. They will strangle you with sieges sooner or later.
Otherwise i would say just relax and play, ninja bases can generate several "govt defense" missions wich can bring you to -6000 or so. Anyway you will not loose a game until you get -500 score or -1kk money twice in a row.
Save items with short research time like data disks for tough monthes in early game, i think each topic with # gives you 250 of score and you can shoot'em several times to fix your rating fast.
Unlock all missions asap. Its possible to do ~4-6k of score per month just by doing missions and ignoring pogroms even in bad monthes.
In mid game score problems mostly become errelevant.

Also if you plan to build any passive defenses take in account that for example each Ninja Landcruiser have 2850hp, so you need arround 12 vulcan batteries to be able to defend from them. I will recommend to build just 2 hideout shrouds and 2 vulcans for your outposts to defend them from hobos until you unlock something like SAM sites or Laser Defenses. If you plan to shoot down incoming ships with craft then you need something beefy to tank damage like swordfish/kraken. As for Bykes and Seekers - Seagull missiles can bring them down quickly.

Greep,
I have found the harvester useful for downing zepellins, armored patrols, and military convoys, but only when fully decked out.  But yeah, it's mostly either going to be cars/pirhannas/jetbikes/shadowcraft.
Yeah, it should be packed with 14mm x3 and a good pilot, but after this its basicly mini Convoy with 4 HWP. You can shove into it stuff like 4 Hyenas early.  My harvester are able to crawl in to the airfield and shoot down all 3 interceptors and then proceed to siege. On the usual battlescape its just op fortress. Harvesters = <3

Really curius about early game stuff like buckaroos/bombers. Anyone used them? Like outpost with wing of 3 buckaroos or something.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:29:04 am by Requiem »

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: January 31, 2022, 09:40:47 am »
Thanks for the tips. I decided to push first base spawn to June.

Offline Requiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: January 31, 2022, 10:31:53 am »
April of the first year is always like this, it's fine. Factions build their hideouts(this claster of ships you saw), ninjas spawn etc. Score will be less jumpy in next monthes.
Things wil start to heating up if you join alliance blindly or after 2 years of doing nothing.

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: February 12, 2022, 03:30:03 pm »
Update, please?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: February 12, 2022, 03:41:27 pm »
Soon, and not in the corporate sense. Private channels have had quite a few teasers this week which usually means an update is nigh.

Offline Rallehop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: February 12, 2022, 11:52:41 pm »
Soon, and not in the corporate sense. Private channels have had quite a few teasers this week which usually means an update is nigh.

Hah. What is "soon" outside of the corporate sense then ?

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: February 13, 2022, 12:06:42 am »
Yay, thanks!
You're all great!

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: February 13, 2022, 06:20:06 am »
Maybe two or three weeks soon. Second hand information direct from the source.

Offline Rallehop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: February 13, 2022, 12:01:18 pm »
Very exciting!

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: February 15, 2022, 12:51:13 am »
uhh yessss!!  :P

Offline Meza

• Squaddie
  • 1st time played X-COM in far 1996!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: February 18, 2022, 11:47:37 am »
Need tips how to take down 14-mm ninja turrets. It's not a problem right after laser sniper rifle and it's a bit probs in easly game. Thxnks!

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: February 18, 2022, 01:00:21 pm »
Not a whole lot of 'easy' ways. Your choices are a bunch if nonstandard explosives, as well as some anti-armor measures.

Chem grenades, but you will need a lot.

Crates of Violence, but difficult to throw, and also need a lot.

Scavenged EMP grenades from dead ninjas.

SC balls for the Assault Cannon.

Recoiless Rifle Armored Cars.

Possibly even standard recoilless rifles.

Armor Stripping piercing weapons like the Golden Guns.

Hard hitters like AP sniper rifles.

None of them are really ideal, but these are the choices.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: February 18, 2022, 04:17:48 pm »
Adding to that:

Mortar explosive rounds
RPG Cumulative Rounds

Both deal some amount of damage, it adds up.

Superselfcharger

Fails to breach armor at first, but over time burns through it.

Willie Pete

Lights it up, also deals damage.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: February 18, 2022, 04:37:23 pm »
Did anyone try with ballistas? I never gave a shot (emh) in battle, these require lots of TUs but should have a fairly long range, at least i hope...