Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3612909 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - K1 - 17 Nov - Bandaid needed!
« Reply #7245 on: October 18, 2019, 04:49:49 pm »
RIP preprimed grenades for grenadiers.

Well, that's unfortunate.

On the other hand, if the engagement is going to be in close combats (say before entering a UFO). I usually make my soldiers um-prime the grenades.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7246 on: October 18, 2019, 05:40:56 pm »
Well, that's unfortunate.

On the other hand, if the engagement is going to be in close combats (say before entering a UFO). I usually make my soldiers um-prime the grenades.

That is why that option was moved to the attack menu.

Offline Aoi

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: October 18, 2019, 09:31:33 pm »
- New Feature: Enemy Panic & Berserk sounds; hence, enemy panic txt messages now locked OFF

Does this mean there's now no non-auditory indicator of any kind for if they panic outside of LoS? (For various reasons, my audio is almost always off.)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7248 on: October 18, 2019, 10:07:37 pm »
Does this mean there's now no non-auditory indicator of any kind for if they panic outside of LoS? (For various reasons, my audio is almost always off.)

If you play mute, you can always switch that back it in piratez_globals.rul
Code: [Select]
noAlienPanicMessages

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: October 19, 2019, 06:04:38 am »
Yeah, if you wish to ignore audio cues, which is actually more info then we had before if your ear is good, that on you. Player choice is wonderful.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: October 19, 2019, 04:04:12 pm »
That is why that option was moved to the attack menu.

My 2-cents comments on the matter.

If the mod has a large TU for throwing, I always considered the priming to be part of this action. I always saw the priming of grenades that have a timer to be not the grenade pin but an additional safety measure, such as a lock or arming button. Then when pre-priming became available all made sense to me.

In my mind, the grenades in a pocket that were accidentally dropped and later exploded, they hit the ground without the restraint of their last safety element. I imagined that to be a sleeve of sorts in the pocket or backpack holding the grenade lever or similar that lost its grip on the grenade upon impact.  A soldier would grab a pre-primed grenade from the sleeve into his/her hand for throwing. I consider the sleeve to be an invisible item that adds to the encumbrance of the grenade in the overall weight management of the game.

Are the priming or throwing costs reduced somewhat for balancing purposes?

(I haven't played K1 version yet, so I may be writing non-sense, apologies if so)

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: October 19, 2019, 06:08:03 pm »
My 2-cents comments on the matter.

If the mod has a large TU for throwing, I always considered the priming to be part of this action. I always saw the priming of grenades that have a timer to be not the grenade pin but an additional safety measure, such as a lock or arming button. Then when pre-priming became available all made sense to me.

In my mind, the grenades in a pocket that were accidentally dropped and later exploded, they hit the ground without the restraint of their last safety element. I imagined that to be a sleeve of sorts in the pocket or backpack holding the grenade lever or similar that lost its grip on the grenade upon impact.  A soldier would grab a pre-primed grenade from the sleeve into his/her hand for throwing. I consider the sleeve to be an invisible item that adds to the encumbrance of the grenade in the overall weight management of the game.

Are the priming or throwing costs reduced somewhat for balancing purposes?

(I haven't played K1 version yet, so I may be writing non-sense, apologies if so)

I'm not really sure if I understand, but throwing primed, or unprimed nade costs the same. Grenades that doesn't have prime function take longer to "shoot" (like blackpowder bomb, or molotov), but you can also throw them for the cost of throwing item with their weight.

Offline Bracer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: October 19, 2019, 08:25:56 pm »
Is there a workaround to use the preprimed grenades like before ?
I liked the idea to have a always ready nade at the risk of losing a downed gal + inventory if you were unable to get to her fast.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: October 19, 2019, 09:57:55 pm »
I'm not really sure if I understand, but throwing primed, or unprimed nade costs the same.
It shouldn't be any difference on the throwing. The TUs are the same. The difference is one is armed and the other is not. And that action costs additional TUs.

Grenades that doesn't have prime function take longer to "shoot" (like blackpowder bomb, or molotov), but you can also throw them for the cost of throwing item with their weight.
These need to be lit, thus the extra time for them to be deadly.

Offline dronnoh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: October 20, 2019, 07:35:27 am »
New "freshness" system is a bit confusing for me. How much freshness is maximum by default? How big stat decreases are? Is having a superhuman overleveled gal a bad thing now (because immortal and birthday essentially nullify all other potential freshness increases)?
Also, do old version gals get 0 freshness by default (without modifying the save, i didn't care to do that since i'm gonna restart anyway) and having negative 17 freshness is an expected result?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:41:44 am by dronnoh »

Offline Aoi

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: October 20, 2019, 10:10:47 am »
Is having a superhuman overleveled gal a bad thing now (because immortal and birthday essentially nullify all other potential freshness increases)?

Wouldn't Scourge of X more than counteract that, eventually? Or do those condemnations that are related to specific weapons/locations/factions only trigger their stat boosts once across the entire family of condemnations?

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: October 20, 2019, 10:14:12 am »
- Combat-oriented enemy aircraft now actively attacks you

If I didn't know better, I'd assume that enemy craft in hunter killer mode never crash and always get destroyed; I know that's not actually the case and it's still possible (but difficult) to crash such craft.  Nonetheless, I don't like this change; I've been trying to crash this dominator and it just keeps blowing up despite it being such a tough craft.  And if something as tough as a dominator always blows up, then what about early game cop cars and midgame bombers?  Looting those is now far tougher if not nigh impossible.

I think the kill threshold for hunter killer craft is way too strict.  I fear that when the time comes for me to take on a battleship, it'll just blow up because it decided to turn around and attack me.  And that's one less source of a VIP.

Offline dronnoh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: October 20, 2019, 11:19:22 am »
Wouldn't Scourge of X more than counteract that, eventually? Or do those condemnations that are related to specific weapons/locations/factions only trigger their stat boosts once across the entire family of condemnations?
Apparently, it counts only one of every level.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 20, 2019, 12:19:07 pm »
Okay, it seems that different craft have different kill thresholds when HKing.  The dominator is always destroyed, but science vessels seem just as easy to crash as before even though they can attack your craft now.  I've been trying to find in the rulesets where the thresholds are defined, but no luck.

I guess I'm just gonna have to accept the fact that I'll never ever see a dominator in the battlescape.  The first one never lands and is always destroyed when attacked, and the second one immediately attacks a city the instant it appears.  Might as well replace the dominator mapblock with a small scout mapblock then.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: October 20, 2019, 11:35:32 pm »
I guess I'm just gonna have to accept the fact that I'll never ever see a dominator in the battlescape.

There exist "Tractor Beam" that allows you to force every ship to land without any damage. It's late tech, but better late then never.