aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3608948 times)

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J5 - 11 Jun - Applied Chromatics
« Reply #7005 on: June 11, 2019, 11:56:25 pm »
..but bad link on mediafire, (wrong url)

..and why this "Old Earth Lab capacity 15->12" ? :( :/(

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J5 - 11 Jun - Applied Chromatics
« Reply #7006 on: June 12, 2019, 12:07:35 am »
For the glory of Satan, of course!

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: June 12, 2019, 03:00:35 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen... The new J15 version is up! Enjoy new magics and thrills! :)

Thank you!

- Improved accuracy of most enemy military vessels by +5, fighters by +10 (DPM in desc. adjusted)

Airgame certainly got more thrilling now, great fix.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:09:54 pm by Eddie »

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: June 14, 2019, 12:24:30 am »
..but bad link on mediafire, (wrong url)

..and why this "Old Earth Lab capacity 15->12" ? :( :/(

I would assume it's to push the player into joining the Mutant Alliance or doing the Doctor X storyline earlier instead of just staying out of the whole thing untill the early core techs are all discovered.

Edit:
Nevermind, it's explained on the very line you quoted. You can build lab expansions to get more brainers on the job.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:28:28 am by Devon_v »

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #7009 on: June 14, 2019, 03:23:01 am »
^^ yap, but it`s absolutely ..not worthy ;

old, previous R&D:   

~21th.century old Earth Lab =: 15 smart girls,  / @ 1building,room

R-D now: 

just only 12 smautgirls, @ 1 Old EarthLab room

& another 4 girls too, but @ 1extra room,

== so 16 girls-researchers  @ 2 rooms... :o :/

:S :/(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:36:57 pm by LytaRyta »

Offline Riph

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: June 17, 2019, 03:57:05 am »
Ouch. Which one of our "brainers" refitted the Assault armor with Gold shields? The ones that permit bullets and explosions to pass through unhindered?

Meanwhile, the Marsec Marines wear nearly identical armor but with Red shields (stops everything except Mind and Warp).

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: June 17, 2019, 04:42:15 am »
Full shield system rework, bound to be some casualties.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: June 17, 2019, 08:42:25 pm »
^^ yap, but it`s absolutely ..not worthy ;

old, previous R&D:   

~21th.century old Earth Lab =: 15 smart girls,  / @ 1building,room

R-D now: 

== so 16 girls-researchers  @ 2 rooms... :o :/
Exactly. Research is something you have to devote resources to. I feel like if you've played Piratez this long you have to realize that Dioxine intends you to have to use ALL your bases, and ALL the space allotted to them. If the game is hardcoded to allow X bases and Y space per base, then a good game design has to come up with ways to make all of that space meaningful. You can basically get by in vanilla on one base, which begs the question of what all the others are for or what the whole concept of base building was supposed to be. Piratez always gives you more stuff than you can deal with so you have to make choices.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: June 17, 2019, 09:32:33 pm »
If the game is hardcoded to allow X bases and Y space per base, then a good game design has to come up with ways to make all of that space meaningful.

No, it definitely doesn't have to.

You can basically get by in vanilla on one base, which begs the question of what all the others are for or what the whole concept of base building was supposed to be.

The game gives you the option to play one way or the other; or anything in between.
A true mark of good game design.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: June 17, 2019, 11:14:48 pm »
No, it definitely doesn't have to.

The game gives you the option to play one way or the other; or anything in between.
A true mark of good game design.

What I'm getting at is an issue I frequently see in Japanese games where the game has great depth, but is balanced for people who can't figure out how to do more than press A. If one base can provide everything you need, then two bases is twice what you need. Six is total overkill. It allows things to scale to such a point that either the game has no challenge whatsoever, or it's so hardcore that you have to use every resource possible or you fail. Final Fantasy or Dark Souls. I find that games quickly become boring when actually delving into their mechanics and developing their optional features just makes you unstoppable. I LOVE that Piratez says "nope, even three bases isn't enough, keep working on it", and that even when you have maxed stat troops there are still things that will laugh and slaughter you. Piratez EXPECTS you to use it's full mechanics and features, and that's the greatness of its design. If you want to have a high level of manufacturing and research and troop development, you need to spend a lot of space on it, and probably set up specialized bases. Those slots have a meaning beyond "maybe I'll build bases all over the globe for the heck of it" and become part of a meaningful question "I need more space, probably need to set up a new base, now where should it be and how do I specialize it?"

Offline Sahti Waari

• Sergeant
  • Так победим!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: June 17, 2019, 11:54:05 pm »
Hello everyone!
How to do gladiators fights? I have a beast den but nor in production nor in the den there is no option to do it.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: June 18, 2019, 12:23:06 am »
snip

If "Piratez EXPECTS you to use it's full mechanics and features"... which I personally don't think it is... then it almost means there is "only one solution" (or only a very limited number of solutions) to the game. If you couldn't win the game with just 6-7 bases, or without air superiority, or without plasma weapons, or without using a certain soldier type, or without xxx (feel free to replace with any mechanic or feature you like here)... that wouldn't be the "greatness of its design', but its biggest flaw.

I haven't played Piratez for a long time, but I hope it didn't get to that point. That would be very sad. Judging just by what I hear from other players, there is a high replayability to the game. Also many say the game is easier than many other mods (and comparing my recent twots/area51 playthroughs with the older piratez playthrough, I would definitely agree).

I think I get what you're saying, I just think you're over-exaggerating quite a bit. Yes, the game expects you to think... but it doesn't force you to blindly follow "the most optimal path" (that would be the opposite of wanting you to think, no?)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7017 on: June 18, 2019, 01:10:06 am »
No, it did not get to that point, Meridian. It is only the usual pet issue for those who want to "optimize", that is power-combo ALL the features instead of only using some. Which is not required to win the game.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: June 18, 2019, 03:26:42 am »
Hello everyone!
How to do gladiators fights? I have a beast den but nor in production nor in the den there is no option to do it.

Look in your hands tab, in the bottom left is a clickable menu button. Intially this menu just has the memorial option.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: June 19, 2019, 01:48:38 am »
Yeah, I don't mean there's a single way to play, only one way to win, that's not a game but a puzzle. I mean that you can't just cheese the game. Delving into it's mechanics doesn't reveal an unbeatable strategy or unit or item that you spam and the game is effectively over. The design expects you to understand how it all works.