aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3671106 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J11 - 27 Jan - Slaves, or Soldiers?
« Reply #6675 on: February 03, 2019, 01:21:36 pm »
What is CLC? Charger Laser? (it only needs Heavy Couplings indeed). And what has super-rare Impaler to do with this? What has score for downing crafts to do with this (should it be lowered?) Collect your thoughts and focus, man, because I cannot follow your rants, I'm too dumb. You just throw around various accusations and claims without presenting any concrete numerical breakdowns.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:51:27 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: February 03, 2019, 01:37:16 pm »
CLC ist probably Craft LasCannon.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: February 03, 2019, 01:43:26 pm »
Yikes, just noticed that by not taking the "gals are superior" option, you'll depend on the recruit young uber research to unlock party(dep), and thus chateau de la mort, since "have a party" is locked behind the gal recruitment research. Jeez.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:52:06 pm by Dakkdakk »

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J11 - 27 Jan - Slaves, or Soldiers?
« Reply #6678 on: February 03, 2019, 01:48:43 pm »
Pls, dont touch those Crafts' s Laser Cannons,
nor other cannons,
and definately pls dont nerf (already nerfed) Impaler!
:o

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: February 03, 2019, 02:41:11 pm »
Honestly it doesn't matter much to me anyways, I almost always hit ships that have landed so I don't blow up my loot shooting them down.  And stuff I shoot down, I shoot down with real weapons.  That being said, I'm kind of wondering what the heck Abyss is doing that lascannons make such a big difference.  It's kinda like the impaler fiasco, I didn't really get that either.

Offline Riph

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: February 03, 2019, 03:51:03 pm »

...Actually this is the most baffling part. Is someone pointing a gun to your head? Just ignore missions which you consider beneath your dignity.

Agree with this sentiment. However, it does bring up an important point. A player coming in from Original X-Com knows only one global mission occurrence (Terror Site) and understands that if he fails to respond to that mission he will lose lots of points.
The fact that an X-Pirate doesn't lose points from ignoring a global mission is an idea that is never really explained. Perhaps this is something we could make more explicit through a Bootypedia entry.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: February 03, 2019, 05:01:39 pm »
Coming from regular X-Com that was obvious to me.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: February 03, 2019, 05:39:07 pm »
X-Pirate doesn't lose points from ignoring a global mission is an idea that is never really explained.
Agree, but there's some elegance in that decision as well. You do the first playthrough and somehow get it within the first year. There are score charts, btw, that could be tracked. Started it (to track) just in the last (4-th, I guess) rush through the game.
As following, I would actually delete the latter for the complete immerse into the cruel world ind it's strange dependencies.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: February 03, 2019, 06:05:43 pm »
To be honest I always interpreted it as the local govt not actualy expecting much from your group other than harassing and keeping the major factions worried, and even when you join the mutant alliance you're only actualy expected to respond to pogroms. Jack only pretty much expects you to buy stuff from him and protect the lok'narrs for whatever reason. At the end of the day, you're leading much more than a gang of criminals, so you're not expected to perform like a global defense elite team like X-COM was.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: February 03, 2019, 07:31:36 pm »
8) But we are all safe, that is the point
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:34:46 pm by Abyss »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6685 on: February 03, 2019, 07:50:02 pm »
The fact that an X-Pirate doesn't lose points from ignoring a global mission is an idea that is never really explained. Perhaps this is something we could make more explicit through a Bootypedia entry.

It is explained or suggested in many places, and also depends on a mission. Some of these do carry heavy penalties. It generally works best when you forget about all this "metagame", read briefings and think with in-game terms. And check the graphs.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: February 03, 2019, 08:06:04 pm »
Agree with this sentiment. However, it does bring up an important point. A player coming in from Original X-Com knows only one global mission occurrence (Terror Site) and understands that if he fails to respond to that mission he will lose lots of points.
Both of you misunderstood what my post was about.
There was an exchange about the game diffuculty, whether on not the hardest is hard enough. My opinion is, it's hard but not in a fun way, i mean the battlescape portion of raising enemy numbers and their stats.
My idea if summed up is basically to remove the enemy once they become a cakewalk, by checking if you have beaten them enough times or if you have tech superiority. This way high difficulty could just make those scripts trigger faster instead of relying on more mooks with +20% stats.
And yes, i know that
1. It is already partially implemented, but i'd like it to be more radical(i said so in my 1st post). For example i know watchtowers get removed eventually, but my number would be 3 monts max, not in 1.5-2 years or whenever they get axed.
2. It would take a lot of Dioxine-hours to implement to the current pool. This is why this is just a suggestion, something to maybe keep in mind for future mission timers.
3. It is possible to skip missions. It's not even a point! The point is that you can farm those missions, assuming you play on high difficulty why would you skip a free mission? See, it creates some sort of loop, where: enemies have higher than average numbers and stats -> you farm completely harmless missions to get even -> you get overleveled if you keep farming long enough -> now there's a reason why enemies are overbuffed -> and it goes full circle

And this is why i play on 4 and break this circle: if enemies are fair -> no need to grind easy missions(yes i fucking skip them eventually) -> no overleveling on ratmen -> it's fair because neither player nor ai is ahead.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:08:14 pm by sanyaskillpro »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6687 on: February 03, 2019, 10:18:15 pm »
You forget the point that highest difficulty level is not meant to be balanced in any way. But yeah, I agree on principle... but:

Making mission disappearance timers dependant on difficulty - as in ALL missions - would not be just
"little extra work", but TONS of work with huge potential for bugs (which I don't like), also tightening the play to make the challenge "feel just right" is endless loop. It's not out of the question BUT balancing highest difficulty level is very low on my priority list. I am interested in balancing middle difficulty.

niculinux

« Reply #6688 on: February 04, 2019, 12:01:44 am »
You forget the point that highest difficulty level is not meant to be balanced in any way. But yeah, I agree on principle... but:

Making mission disappearance timers dependant on difficulty - as in ALL missions - would not be just
"little extra work", but TONS of work with huge potential for bugs (which I don't like), also tightening the play to make the challenge "feel just right" is endless loop. It's not out of the question BUT balancing highest difficulty level is very low on my priority list. I am interested in balancing middle difficulty.

I agree with sanyaskillpro but then it's a real pity leaving "jack sparrow" unbalanced. Let's hope for it, even slowly over versions :-\

edit: typo
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:45:10 am by niculinux »

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: February 04, 2019, 04:50:10 am »
Did I simply miss it: the gap between Human power armor (140 front armor) and, say, Doom 2 armor (48 front armor) is not yet replenished with some sort of mediocre and high-end carapace armor?
Was always looking on the govt and humanists super-troopers and wonder why won't I just strip them down to pants  :D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:55:20 am by Abyss »