Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609030 times)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J10 - 28 Dec - Christmas Underground
« Reply #6615 on: January 22, 2019, 11:42:11 pm »
Is that the actual solution, or just a workaround for a bug? I saw what I thought was a weak wall, tried blowing it up with an HE Grenade and it did nothing. Am I gonna need to bring Pickaxes on future missions like this?

There should be a pickax to pick up close to your starting location.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - J10 - 28 Dec - Christmas Underground
« Reply #6616 on: January 23, 2019, 01:16:41 am »
I saw the pickaxe, but just thought it was a mediocre melee weapon. I also thought dirt was indestructible, although that was vanilla UFO defense, so they could have changed it for Piratez. Just take the pickaxe and attack every wall I can?

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: January 23, 2019, 01:56:48 am »
Just take a look at the map and look where a room could be.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: January 23, 2019, 02:13:51 am »
I don't have the game open, but we were boxed into the lower left hand corner of the map. So dig north.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: January 23, 2019, 03:57:32 am »
Yeah you can dig through most walls, the info tab on weapons will list stuff like bonus damage for structures (I forget what the exact wording is).  You may have to hit walls a few times to make any progress so digging can be slow.  You'll just have to keep at it.  There's a handful of missions where you're going to have to dig so make sure to toss some digging tools into your transport craft(s) just in case.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: January 23, 2019, 07:53:33 am »
Never leave home without demolition, at least until someone gets around to making the map randomization validation coding that ensures connectivity. Even then that just unintentional blockage, things like the mansion map, and the reynard prison are this way intentionally.

niculinux

« Reply #6621 on: January 23, 2019, 11:33:44 am »
My humble 2 cents': actually "infested cellar" misison should not need pickaxex to be accomplished, it's just a cleanse operation, maybe some electrical lights may be added; see it's  not a tomb rider mission. Instead, the last mentioned should require these, it is a bounty mission if i happen to remember correctly  :-\

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: January 23, 2019, 11:39:22 am »
Most of the time it doesn't. I never had to dig in a cellar so far.
But sometimes the map generator doesn't like you. That is why Dioxine was nice and put a pickaxe in the mission, so you can do it even if you forgot to bring your own/don't have one yet.

niculinux

« Reply #6623 on: January 23, 2019, 04:59:21 pm »
Most of the time it doesn't. I never had to dig in a cellar so far.
But sometimes the map generator doesn't like you. That is why Dioxine was nice and put a pickaxe in the mission, so you can do it even if you forgot to bring your own/don't have one yet.

Actually it happened nearly every time i engaged that mission. Actually i tend to ignore it, unless i have some protection, let's say at last warrior armor or something that guarantees protection over 30 points :)

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: January 23, 2019, 06:07:48 pm »
Actually it happened nearly every time i engaged that mission. Actually i tend to ignore it, unless i have some protection, let's say at last warrior armor or something that guarantees protection over 30 points :)
It is a pretty boresome mission type that I tend to skip too. In such a large game there is no real need in killing rats in the catacombs. Seriously!
What I will be not skipping is a type of mission when TONS of rats are able to attack my squad within the next turn. When the cellar is a huge room and gals are in the middle. With ability to retreat, of course)

niculinux

« Reply #6625 on: January 23, 2019, 07:30:36 pm »
It is a pretty boresome mission type that I tend to skip too. In such a large game there is no real need in killing rats in the catacombs. Seriously!
What I will be not skipping is a type of mission when TONS of rats are able to attack my squad within the next turn. When the cellar is a huge room and gals are in the middle. With ability to retreat, of course)

Actually on second thought it would make more sense it be a level D bounty mission; replacing it with a more ordinary one, for instance bank robbery that would also fit nicely amonge the starting and no bounty ones; without the turn limit as it have now. Or replace with a brand new one, if so any ideas?

Offline alcatraz

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: January 24, 2019, 06:27:05 am »
I just send 1 gal with a grav harness and a decent snapfire weapon like a shotgun. Not had any problems with that.

niculinux

« Reply #6627 on: January 24, 2019, 11:29:33 am »
I just send 1 gal with a grav harness and a decent snapfire weapon like a shotgun. Not had any problems with that.

Sorry but that would be not too squandered for such mission? Don't know :-\ it's a very atypical mission

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: January 24, 2019, 03:06:17 pm »
I usually send gals that need reaction training and give them all shotguns.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: January 26, 2019, 06:41:00 am »
Yeah, there is just nuff space in the starting area to hover over rats there by making you immune to attack(you cant melee up, only adjacent) That said you do eventually have to come down cause not all the rats will come through the starting room, which is the only space with assured vertical clearance for the trick.