Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3612500 times)

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J9 - 24 Nov - Needs More Muskets
« Reply #6540 on: December 23, 2018, 06:45:28 pm »
Engineers in "mining" ships usually are spawned with wrenches. Also "Gov agents rescue" mission with ballers. Just start to target civilian traffic. If you will stun everybody, you won't get negative score.

niculinux

« Reply #6541 on: December 23, 2018, 09:54:56 pm »
Engineers in "mining" ships usually are spawned with wrenches.
that is the issue (see previous post)

Also "Gov agents rescue" mission with ballers.
never ever recovered after such mission

Just start to target civilian traffic. If you will stun everybody, you won't get negative score.

Relly hardc and kinda impossible with airbus. Once i got snd equupped aircar is a bit easy.

@ Dioxine: it may be even possible get positive score from ground assault small and very small civilianbships? I mean nobidy cares about ordinary people, but the power and the rich

edit: typos :'(

edit: 2: By the way, i'd like to see switched the spawning rate of the missions "infested cellar" and "death and taxes", the former happens more frequuently than the latter, well you don't need piratez to clean an infested cellar with rats every day  :-\ very atipical  :o as the rest, looking forward to another wonder-full relase!  8)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 05:21:18 pm by niculinux »

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #6542 on: December 24, 2018, 05:34:36 pm »
@niculinox still typos :D ;D lôl

btw. happy pretty Christmas, /free-time,  today, and in y.2603 too :p ;D)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:08:50 am by LytaRyta »

Offline Mitra Lightbringer

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J9 - 24 Nov - Needs More Muskets
« Reply #6543 on: December 25, 2018, 04:14:27 pm »
Oi lads, I need some help. Enemies just destroy my new base that does not even have anything in it yet, except, fire mines, hangar and extractor. I cant find a way to prevent it. I am building flak, but I cant finish it in time.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: December 25, 2018, 05:32:47 pm »
Oi lads, I need some help. Enemies just destroy my new base that does not even have anything in it yet, except, fire mines, hangar and extractor. I cant find a way to prevent it. I am building flak, but I cant finish it in time.
Ship everything out and sell all buildings. Sometimes you just have bad luck and lose a base.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: December 26, 2018, 04:33:45 am »

Ben there, done that.  Generally speaking it''s just dumb (bad) luck that happens.  There's not much you can do if the enemies target your new base, it just happens sometimes.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: December 26, 2018, 08:01:30 pm »

Next time build a burrow first so you can put defence troops. Piratez has way more base attacks (unprovoked, even) than vanilla. Your fault for leaving the base naked for so long.

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: December 27, 2018, 01:49:16 am »
Next time build a burrow first so you can put defence troops. Piratez has way more base attacks (unprovoked, even) than vanilla. Your fault for leaving the base naked for so long.

I neither wanted to get defense troops, nor did I want to get attacked, so kinda games fault. I really did not have any luck with base defense this playtrough, as I had to defend the base with muskets and no armor against Dark Ones (Doom stuff), 2 times in a single week.
I did the things the way I did, because I am preparing myself to do a challenge playtrough of pirates (I may out it on Youtube, but I'm no Youtuber, I'd do it only if someone is interested), so I experiment a lot. Challenges are:
No explosives (not really a challenge, they are basically cheating, so I never use them).
No using bought or looted equipment (unless I can make it myself, I'm not going to count the number of bullets and bandages or sell equipment and than make it myself) unless its mandatory (I have to use the bus, I think), but I can buy/loot materials and stuff.
No buying more girls (recruitment only trough workshop), but I can get more Runts and Brainers.
I thought about no shotguns and/or snipers, but that limits what I can use so much it gets boring. Also, no codex, but it seems impossible at this point.
Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: December 27, 2018, 03:00:19 am »
Melee is closer to cheating then explosives, though in my opinion neither is.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: December 27, 2018, 03:46:40 am »
This is the cost of not wanting to get defense troops; refuse to deal with the aspect of the game, it might bite you. That's an interesting challenge though, good luck on it. From conversations with Dioxine, his goal is making the game challenging enough that things like explosives and melee aren't cheating - if you have access to it, not using it is a personal preference.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: December 27, 2018, 10:48:05 am »
...nor did I want to get attacked, so kinda games fault.[snip]
Sorry, but I just had to point it out. You do know that retaliation (base search/attack) is in the game whether you want to acknowledge it or not. You chose to limit your options of defending the base (ie. bulding a burrow/hiring gals to defend it). So no, it's not the game's fault - you knew what was coming but you chose to ignore it. By the way - in Piratez some battles are not winnable, that's part of the mod's charm. You will need to learn when to stand and fight (and how much is it going to cost you) and when to cut your losses, pack up and retreat. Is losing the base a setback? Sure it its. But it's not your main base, so it's not game over at any rate. Just greater challenge.

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: December 27, 2018, 12:18:56 pm »
Sorry, but I just had to point it out. You do know that retaliation (base search/attack) is in the game whether you want to acknowledge it or not. You chose to limit your options of defending the base (ie. bulding a burrow/hiring gals to defend it). So no, it's not the game's fault - you knew what was coming but you chose to ignore it. By the way - in Piratez some battles are not winnable, that's part of the mod's charm. You will need to learn when to stand and fight (and how much is it going to cost you) and when to cut your losses, pack up and retreat. Is losing the base a setback? Sure it its. But it's not your main base, so it's not game over at any rate. Just greater challenge.
I understand your point of view, but I already had waay too many base attacks (Two in a week with muskets is not fun). And what retaliation on the base that has empty hangar and no personnel in it. What did it do? Yes, its the aspect I choose to ignore, as base defense missions are second most boring after jungle, but those are straight up broken. There was not even ship attacking me (I patrolled above the base). So my base, that has no facilities, was found by enemies (10 bucks its dark ones again, that I cant beat in so small space even if I was defending it with troops) even if my patrolling craft seen nothing? I wont acknowledge that.

--- posts merged ---

Melee is closer to cheating then explosives, though in my opinion neither is.
Okay, one of these has you exposed after attack, you have to expend (a lot) energy, and you have to physically reach an enemy, and you can still miss, get blocked.
Other one leaves you in as much cover as you want, you don't even have to see the enemy, and there is nothing he can do once you throw your weapon.
Damage about evens out. You can just compare enemies if you want. Who does more damage in, lets say, Dark Ones. Imp or a Deamon? Sure, Imp does little (bullshit and unpreventable) damage, but in about a year I play this game, Deamon never damaged me. Also, one will just chug away at you and then hide, and other one will charge at you and get exposed. Sure, player is better than AI, but same rules apply to him.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:46:50 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6552 on: December 27, 2018, 12:53:33 pm »
Two base defences with muskets? That means, like, first or second month. How did you get a second base that early?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6553 on: December 27, 2018, 01:04:26 pm »
What is even your angle, Mithra? Don't like base defenses? Well too bad, until you have the money and tech to set up Shrouds or massive stacks of defensive buildings (or at the very least, some interceptors), you will be getting these. I would advise stopping to imagine how the game is in your head, and instead accepting the reality of what it really is (this goes for melee and explosives as well; melee is risky, and explosives destroy loot; hardly unbalanced imo, at least in these aspects). Or maybe I was missing something in your argumentation, please enlighten me then.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: December 27, 2018, 01:22:28 pm »
The base detection and attack mechanics are a bit complicated, but that's how it always have been.

1. A UFO (or a foot party) patrols in the general region (eg. North Africa) where your base is located. How do they know which region? I guess it's random, but you can call it gossip or someone tipped them off. If a UFO flies close to your base (no idea on the exact range) it has a *chance* (with bonus depending on base size) to discover it. There is no attack right away, the discovering UFO just flies away. I heard that if you shoot the UFO before they had a chance to detect you base you have a chance to interrupt the retaliation altogether - not sure if it's a planned feature or already implemented.
2. After a couple of days an 'assault' UFO appears, heading straight for your base at full speed. The major factions use specialized UFOs for that (Boarding Torpedo, Breaker, Assault Transport or Cruiser), with speeds over 5000kt, so these are almost impossible to intercept and very hard to detect. The last part is due to the fact, that radar sweeps are made every 30 minutes (and not 100% successful). In this time an assault craft can cover over 2500 miles, which is the general range of a base radar (craft have significantly less). So it is entirely possible that the assault UFO can reach your base before any radar can even pick them up. Not sure how dark ones and ratmen do it - if they use similar vessels or a different mechanic (besides - realistically, how would a radar detect a squad of soldiers on foot?).
3. After the assault craft reaches the base, the defenses get a chance to fire. They need to do enough damage to destroy the attacking vessel. There is no crashing and AFAIK any damage that didn't destroy the ship is irrelevant*. So with anti-UFO defense you go big or not at all. Not sure if assault craft size matters for to-hit consideration.
4a. If the assault craft is destroyed before landing, another one is sent in a couple of days, ad nauseam. Either your defenses fail at some point, or you get a steady stream of attacks. Basically you *will* have a base defense mission at some point, anti-UFO just gives you time to prepare and do it on your terms. Not sure if destroying an assault craft gets you points or not.
4b. The craft is not destroyed - it lands successfully - the base defense mission starts. If you win - the aliens 'forget' about your base and will not send another assault craft. But they can still start the retaliation mission again and detect the base again and so on, the process repeats. If you lose - well, you lose the base and the retaliation is over as well.

If i'm wrong somewhere, please correct me.

* As a point of reference, you need 2 flak cannons or SAM sites to reliably shoot down the smallest attack unit (the Torpedo - 400dmg). One of any of those has a chance to do it (on good roll) but it's in no way reliable.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:27:56 pm by Ashghan »