aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3685685 times)

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended - 0.95A - 3 Oct - Star Gods' Revenge
« Reply #945 on: October 13, 2015, 03:26:08 pm »
I find it funny how aquatoids send a wave to organise a terror site instead of sending a terror ship

Considering that this wave appeared instantly on my radar and then the mission started in the geoscape i have to wonder,do these have a skin in air combat or do they read jammed like supply ships?

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #946 on: October 13, 2015, 03:54:34 pm »
I think this mod on its own is a lot of work. Credit to the developer and contributors. I am as lost as I was on the first day. What is the optimum equipment i.e. vessel, weapons, armor. I normally go in all guns blazing but damn ..

Afaik the best is a mix of melee + pistols followed by smg gals who can reaction fire then rifles to cover areas your gals are not clearing, plus at least one rocket launcher (for cyberdisks). After a core team is made, you can add up snipers rifles (free 100% shots from the roof of the bonaventura), machine guns (cover destroyers), flamethrowers (quickly kills flammable enemies), medics, and gals with nothing but black powder bombs.

You're better off loading a bit of every kind of gun (balistic, laser and acidic at minimum) so you can change the equipment depending of the enemy you are attacking. This makes the hyperwave decoder a huge priority because you need to know what you will be fighting.

Armors usefulness goes from gal to gal. Usually I give utility suits to swabbies to fix their bad stats then give them TAC armors (I skip vests) or power armors, depending of how many TU they sport. This make the team really bad at reaction fire and I got a memorial of swabbies longer than a WW2 memorial but the veterans stay alive. I will soon have grav armors for snipers and rocket launcher gals.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #947 on: October 13, 2015, 04:33:17 pm »
My composition is similar, but there are differences. Instead of rocket launcher, I rely on thrown explosives (mostly dynamite and elerium grenades), and I am now a fan of mortar. My shooty gals mostly use auto-cannons and LACCs, and if they are too weak - battle rifles. Most of my melee gals wear swimsuits for the better stats, but I try to never expose them to the enemy when possible. Smoke is mandatory all the time. :)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 13, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »
^If this were real life, I wonder what alien reactions would be to seeing smoke slowly seep into their areas.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #949 on: October 13, 2015, 08:39:32 pm »
I started working on the wiki with flintlocks and muskets.

Does the melee attack on the bayoneted musket seems easy to read for you?
https://bootypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bayoneted_Musket

I think that the entry needs to more clearly state that it is for the Melee attack only. Just reading it, I'm not sure if its for Ranged or Melee or what.  I can see that there IS a melee attack, I just don't know what the values displayed are for.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 13, 2015, 09:02:01 pm »
Everything in the blue square on the left is for the ranged attack, everything for the melee attack is under the "Melee attack" section. It doesn't seem too confusing to me, but maybe having everything in the same location, as Solarius suggested, and having specific names (melee hit chance, melee power, melee TU cost, etc, and then snap shot accuracy, snap/aimed shot TU cost, ranged power) would be better?

Also.. I can't make a bayoneted musket, even after having researched flintlocks.. So it must require more than that! I would have thought it would be flintlocks + primitive weapons (it's a mix of gun and spear) but I already have primitive weapons, so it's not that either.. And I can't go look into Piratez.rul, too many spoilers!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 13, 2015, 11:43:06 pm »
Everything in the blue square on the left is for the ranged attack, everything for the melee attack is under the "Melee attack" section. It doesn't seem too confusing to me, but maybe having everything in the same location, as Solarius suggested, and having specific names (melee hit chance, melee power, melee TU cost, etc, and then snap shot accuracy, snap/aimed shot TU cost, ranged power) would be better?

It was my idea too, so I'm not even sure if what I did is all right. I moved these melee stats to the infobox, the way I envisioned it when I made the box template, but I'm not sure if it's good enough - opinions are welcome.

Also.. I can't make a bayoneted musket, even after having researched flintlocks.. So it must require more than that! I would have thought it would be flintlocks + primitive weapons (it's a mix of gun and spear) but I already have primitive weapons, so it's not that either.. And I can't go look into Piratez.rul, too many spoilers!

Hmmm... I haven't researched it in my game, since I went a different route, but it appears it requires Tools & Blades and Basic Armor.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 14, 2015, 12:02:13 am »
Hmmm... I haven't researched it in my game, since I went a different route, but it appears it requires Tools & Blades and Basic Armor.

How displaying the requirements for each piece of research in their entry into the bootypedia wiki? Under a spoiler tag - like on Wikipedia?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 14, 2015, 12:16:31 am »
It was my idea too, so I'm not even sure if what I did is all right. I moved these melee stats to the infobox, the way I envisioned it when I made the box template, but I'm not sure if it's good enough - opinions are welcome.

hum.. it looks a bit more tidy now, but I would put all the melee stats in the blue square as well, presumably in the same way as you would do stats for a melee weapon (I couldn't find one on the wiki though..)

Ah.. well.. I have researched neither of these so far. I skipped Basic Armor since it was underwhelming in my first game and considered it wasted a fair amount of research time for something I never used. I think I've got a brainer on it now, because it might be a pre-req for some stuff. Never seen the Tools & Blades research...

But I agree with Roxis, it might be good to have the pre-requisites for tech in spoiler tags, unless it is an obvious catch all research. Like it's ok to say "Flintlocks and Bombs" for muskets, but if the bayoneted one is unlocked from that + 2 other  techs directly (instead of a "bayonet attachment" project), then it might be better to keep it hidden.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 14, 2015, 12:50:22 am »
OK, I'll consider spoiler tags. Just not today, I'm going to sleep. :P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 14, 2015, 12:58:58 am »
Another idea from reading SIMON's experience in Hardmode and about the musket here:

Dioxine, what about adding a unlimited ammo, range 1, aimed shot to some melee weapons (the axe seems like a prime candidate), to allow them to destroy terrain? It would give the axe and edge (HA!) over the swords.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #956 on: October 14, 2015, 01:03:15 am »
Another idea from reading SIMON's experience in Hardmode and about the musket here:

Dioxine, what about adding a unlimited ammo, range 1, aimed shot to some melee weapons (the axe seems like a prime candidate), to allow them to destroy terrain? It would give the axe and edge (HA!) over the swords.

I could but remember such an attack would have near-100% hit chance, quite possibly completely unbalancing the weapon... plus, I'm already imagining endless questions, "why this weapon has two attack modes which seem the same..."...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 14, 2015, 01:18:23 am »
That's why I suggested an aimed shot (no reaction) and then with TU cost it could be made to be inefficient compared to the main melee use.

Also.. what happens if you put the aimed accuracy at 0? The "cone" of misses is larger the less likely the shot is to hit, which could lead to some misses on an opponent in front of you, but should still allow you to hit a wall or other big obstacle (hopefully a tree too..).

I agree that it's not the best fix, especially since it would probably be called aimed shot as well, which would look weird, but I was trying to find a way to make axes more interesting, since currently rapiers, cutlasses and.. the psycho weapon I can't remember the name of.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #958 on: October 14, 2015, 08:25:56 am »
You have near-100% hit chance even with accuracy = 0.
Still... I think the idea is worth considering. It'd probably phase out the hammer, too, unless the attack was really slow...
Now let's wait for the flames.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 14, 2015, 04:07:12 pm »
Can't we just have melee attacks affect terrain? (: