Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3611346 times)

Offline Melodeiro

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J7 - 25 Sep - It Can't Go Wrong
« Reply #6135 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:26 am »
On base defense, my soldier may randomly spawn at the location, marked by red arrow (screenshot). Right between 50 enemies, and thats in 97% means death for him, because most others spawn at the living rooms, or other safe positions. Does it works as intended? version 0.99J7. I can imagine, that this soldier is just "walked around" and left where he was, when enemies invaded, but i guess, there should be some alert before they come in.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: October 11, 2018, 04:41:21 am »
It intended if rare, that happens when there are not sufficient spawn points for your units, it starts stealing from the enemy spawn points.

That particular gal has it a little bit worse because linking hangers on the NS axis means the small room is open from the back due to the adjacent hanger.

Offline Melodeiro

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: October 11, 2018, 10:17:50 am »
Well, thats true, once i did spawned in the top hangar, and just left gal there for the whole battle. Nobody didn't came to check out.

I have 13 gals, and sometimes they all spawns outside hangars, sometimes one - inside

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: October 11, 2018, 10:43:28 am »
I think the followingweapons are currently unavailable, but I could be mistaken:

Plasma Caster

Well that would prevent one form breaking into plasma weapons wouldn’t it? I am fairly sure the plasma blunderbuss depends on plasma caster.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: October 11, 2018, 05:49:58 pm »
Well that would prevent one form breaking into plasma weapons wouldn’t it? I am fairly sure the plasma blunderbuss depends on plasma caster.
It does, but Plasma Weapons doesn't depend on Plasma Blunderbuss. They depend on Broken Academy Provost, Arcane Interface, and Magischen-Motors.

Plasma Caster locks:
Plasma Blunderbuss
  Light Plasma Gun
  Armor Piercing Lasers
    X-Plasma Weapons

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: October 12, 2018, 02:02:21 am »
quick question.

In the mod, if there is a explosion in battlescape, is there any kind of shielding by the object that is on top towards the objects below ? For example, on a tile, you have a pile of stuff, and the object on top (the visible object in battlescape) is something sturdy, say sandbags. And an explosion occurs nearby. Are all objects on the tile affected equally (and thus potentially destroyed) or the explosion "shockwave" stops with the sturdiest object in the pile leaving the remaining intact ?

I remember in the past all objects on a tile were affected equally. But since relatively recent changes in OXCE, I'm not sure anymore.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: October 12, 2018, 04:43:48 am »
so far as i know all items are still affected equally in the case of an aoe.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: October 12, 2018, 04:48:46 am »
All items in a tile are hit equally by an explosion, none of the OXCE updates have changed that.  The only reason one item might be destroyed and another not is just the items' "armor" values.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: October 12, 2018, 09:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.
I was thinking in a game mechanic where the top object (largest, heaviest?) would shield the other objects from AOE events. Think about the possibilities.
I suppose that the only instance where this happens is when a map object is generated and the dropped objects are sort of trapped inside. Then these map objects need to be destroyed before the object below is available for picking or damage. Minecraft anyone ?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6144 on: October 13, 2018, 12:53:20 am »
And that would serve... What purpose...?
It doesn't even make much sense, considering there can be an unlimited number of items on a tile, so it's super abstract. You may have an ulterior motive here (killed people shield loot with their bodies, so you can blast with rockets more freely), but that is not a reason enough to pursue such idea.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: October 13, 2018, 03:15:13 am »
I could see its use in sequential explosions localized to a single area without having to make the "emitter" chain invulnerable to demolition. You could do runaway portals and other environmental challenges. 

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: October 13, 2018, 03:27:58 am »
Just on a purely selfish level, I've had my stockpile explode on me before and kill 15 gals in one go, so something like that could have come in handy heh.  But really it doesn't sound like something that even if it were feasible would not be worth the effort.  Beyond that, I've never been one to let a little thing like loot destruction (or civilians, cats, etc) come between me and plasma rocket usage.

Edit, brain was going faster than my fingers again, definitely meant to say NOT worth the effort lol.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:49:44 am by Zippicus »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: October 13, 2018, 05:11:48 am »
And that would serve... What purpose...?
It doesn't even make much sense, considering there can be an unlimited number of items on a tile, so it's super abstract. You may have an ulterior motive here (killed people shield loot with their bodies, so you can blast with rockets more freely), but that is not a reason enough to pursue such idea.

You are correct in ulterior motive, albeit not precisely on that one. I was thinking into using sandbags not only as vehicle backpack fillers, but to protect downed (sleeping?) units (enemy, friendly) from nearby blasts.   In some games, while I chase for the last enemy unit, I use the high mobility of quads, cars, and tanks to ferry downed units to a single stacking area where a hand can keep them in check. At the end I found more useful MAG rockets than explosive rockets to take heavily armored enemy units.

From a RL perspective it can have some sense in some objects shielding others. Larger ones to smaller ones perhaps. I'd even suggest that the mechanic of a soldier kneeling could be read as a blast shield (his/her body) for the objects under on the tile.

But I agree with you that it can get complicated to implement, especially with this game mechanic of having potentially hundreds of items on a title. Hard to decide how the shielding would occur. I know it is just wishful thinking.

KZad Bhat

Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J7 - 25 Sep - It Can't Go Wrong
« Reply #6148 on: October 13, 2018, 07:07:50 am »
Well, I can see something in what Alex_D brings up, but it would require new engine code to give some items, like sandbags being an excellent example, some capacity to block fire and explosions. Then those kind of items can become mobile cover. Take some extra time units to walk on the space they're sitting in, provide minor protection from fire and explosions for items that share the tile, and provide cover from gunfire and explosions to objects opposite from the source.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6149 on: October 13, 2018, 08:08:35 pm »
I start to really regret adding these sandbags...