Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3693104 times)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G1 - 25 May - Evasive Maneuvers
« Reply #4680 on: June 14, 2017, 10:33:22 pm »
Bounty-hunting in general should be a gimmick to gain extra loot/xp and not mendatory to a point of gating the research-tree (again).

Offline Dyne

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: June 14, 2017, 10:57:51 pm »
Bounty hunting works well as a stepping stone so far.
A real effort gives value.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: June 15, 2017, 05:36:40 am »
i like the idea of it - it's a nice alternative to just gating everything behind RNG.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: June 17, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »
i like the idea of it - it's a nice alternative to just gating everything behind RNG.

And RNG to even get into the stage of bounty-hunting or "game over" in month 3. Shippings the player can't do anything against due to no range, no items, no crew, no information (other than hacking the own save state)

Offline Marduk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G1 - 25 May - Evasive Maneuvers
« Reply #4684 on: June 17, 2017, 06:39:09 pm »
Running a jack sparrow gold (first since many versions) and blackbeard red playthroughs on the latest version, both at somewhat "middle" stage right now (late and early 2602 respectively).
*Never* had a shortage of useful things to research, got the requisites to do mutant alliance and back to school long before i bother to do them.
Important note, you get far into workshop based gear before doing either of the above, going that route in the  red playthrough, many of my gals running around in metal armor with lots of other fancy gear without either researched.
There is a bit of a RNG heavy period in the early game, but eventually you will get a passably easy mission with good weapons to loot.
Losing the starting gals can be crippling early on though, as they are much better than 20k hands.
I was somewhat learning and bumbling around in the first playthrough, but one thing is clear equipment wise after that - it's piratez, you are supposed to rely heavily on loot through first few years. The stuff you loot tends to be far better that anything you can buy or produce early on, no matter if you get through the critical gates or not.

Another extremely important early game achievement is gaining basic ability to hunt down at least easy craft, it's a massive boon in money and research material. The only quick ways to do it are either get the black market seagull missiles, or take over a landed megapol craft to get their 25mm cannon with ammo (you can use it even without research). My red playthrough benefitted heavily from doing exactly that, even though i had to rely on looted ammo.
Looted 25mm can get you pretty far, if you manage the ammo well it should be a stepping stone to seagulls and\or other assembled weapons made from looted parts. In neither playthrough i can currently make decent craft weapons other than from looted parts, but in both i have several types of those available, and i also have the prize 30mm purchases available in the gold one.

Ironically, i've noticed that my higher difficulty playthrough i tend to have far better and more numerous looted weapons available thanks to meeting some better opponents few times, ironically making fights easier on the average.
Very early on in the red blackbeard playthorugh i got into a nasty pogrom mission against ratmen that were supported by ghouls and 2 cars.
It was almost a disaster, my commonly available weapons were domestic shotguns, SMGs, six-shooters, RCF rifles and so on.
But in the "break in case of emergency" reserve i had a lasgun and laspistol looted from a small government landed ship earlier on, with few batteries to boot.
Yes, cars can die to lasgun autofire.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:46:01 pm by Marduk »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: June 17, 2017, 06:41:23 pm »
JS Sparrow too stronk, I stick with waiting for the next patch to fix RNG Score-dumping.

Offline Marduk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: June 17, 2017, 11:24:41 pm »
JS Sparrow too stronk, I stick with waiting for the next patch to fix RNG Score-dumping.

I didn't run into that one in either of my playthroughs.

Is it me being lucky or something else?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: June 17, 2017, 11:37:48 pm »
I didn't run into that one in either of my playthroughs.

Is it me being lucky or something else?

Don't take me serious just like the other hardcore players of the mod. You should be lucky if you got positive scores in the first 3-4 months. I got dumpstered the very first month with -600 because of shippings I couldn't deal with. But sure it's my fault that the government digs in europe while I'm starting in kangaroo-island.

Offline Marduk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: June 17, 2017, 11:48:02 pm »
Don't take me serious just like the other hardcore players of the mod. You should be lucky if you got positive scores in the first 3-4 months. I got dumpstered the very first month with -600 because of shippings I couldn't deal with. But sure it's my fault that the government digs in europe while I'm starting in kangaroo-island.
Oh, here's your problem.
My starting bases were USA and Italy respectively. I have a secondary base in Australia and it's not getting much shipping. Not that you can do much about shipping in the first months unless you really luck out as you have no armed craft, you can only attack landed ones, which are rare.
You should try to do all the random and bounty missions though.
Once you get a craft weapon with ammo and aircar or airspeeder to carry it, things change a lot score\money wise, you are really limited before that.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: June 18, 2017, 12:00:32 am »
Yeah it's my bad. Guess I need a hardcore guide to deal with the game.
Everything not following those guidelines leads to not having fun.
No freedom for the user, only the most efficient strategy works.

Offline Marduk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: June 18, 2017, 12:11:51 am »
Yeah it's my bad. Guess I need a hardcore guide to deal with the game.
Everything not following those guidelines leads to not having fun.
No freedom for the user, only the most efficient strategy works.
Americas, Europe, Asia certainly work for first base locations. But as in vanilla, there are bad places to locate first base in (like polar areas), and with how this mod is quite a bit harder than vanilla, making the game harder for yourself this way is making it really hard. Jack Sparrow with first base in Australia is, early game, in some ways 1-2 levels higher than it would seem.
Especially with the weird way difficulty works in this mod due to heavy reliance on looted gear - if you loot lots of nice stuff, things get easier for you. Right away, you can use it until you run out of ammo. If no enemies with nice gear spawn so that you can't loot nice gear, things stay hard for you.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4691 on: June 18, 2017, 12:32:38 am »
I really think its hard to beat going with first base in Crimea/Turkey region.  It leaves you set to cover all of Europe, while also covering a significant chunk of North Africa.  In all my campaigns, I've never been hit by those massive score dumps that killed the campaign.  My second base usually goes in China, so that I can still reach from the first base, but North America is a solid alternative.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #4692 on: June 18, 2017, 01:13:48 am »
I really think its hard to beat going with first base in Crimea/Turkey region.

I prefer Kotor.
Spoiler:
The range of a hyperwave decoder based there just touches the one based in the Great Lakes region in North America, and they both in turn nicely merge with one based on the north-west shores of Okhotsk Sea. After that you go with one in australian desert, one in Sri-Lanka, one in the south-african deserts, one a bit south of Amazonia, and put the antarctic one on the inner edge of the Ronne ice shelf. And that's it, only Pacific is not covered, and wouldn't it be nice to have a base at Hawaii, but you're out of bases.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: June 18, 2017, 09:05:39 am »
I've heard people talking about early game problems with scores; but I've never seen that myself in multiple playthroughs.

In my current game, I spotted an enemy base on the second month (which I've not attempted to attack, because I'd get slaughtered). But my scores have big very large and positive every month. I've noticed what appear to be 'peacekeeping' missions with frigates and a battleship; which I obviously can't deal with... but my scores have been very strong.

So I'm kind of curious and puzzled as to what's going on with people's games where the scores are negative. What unlucky event are they getting? Or what is it about their play that's not giving them the points they need?

I can think of one thing I do that pumps up my score a lot, and maybe others don't do this. I invest heavily in research in the early game at the start of each month; pretty much spending everything I have on brainers and barracks for them to live. Research does give a lot of points... so maybe that's why I've never seen a negative score. (And now that high scores result in bonus money, brainers can fund most of their own wages with the bonus money...)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: June 18, 2017, 09:54:07 am »
The issue is that apparently ALL craft generate negative score while active on the geoscape(greater amount while landed). Some enemy missions either spawn alot of craft(ratmen patrol) or stay on globe for an extended time(excavators).

The cumulative negative from this global activity can add up to thousands of points at a stage of the game where the player as zero radar coverage and no air combat ability. This game state persists until the player has cleared all the early paced content(bounties, dr.x, ect) and shifted into the air game.

As such you get something causing a game over that the player is not allowed to interact with, and is somewhat random but common. This is compounded by the fact that dioxine earlier attempt to fix this problem actually made it worse.

The current patch as well as a few preceding ones have this problem. About 1/3 of all new games will end in the first year without player agency, unless the player indulges in save file edits.