Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3686837 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G - 9 May - Close Combat Carnage
« Reply #4530 on: May 14, 2017, 01:28:34 pm »
Unification of UI is all well and good, but why that ui? I can't see any reason to pick that particular version. It is better for it's express purpose(craft inventory management) but fairly horrid elsewhere. Who requested this? And would they care to explain why? Cause right now it appears stupid, and i don't like assuming people are stupid.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4531 on: May 14, 2017, 01:33:07 pm »
Unification of UI is all well and good, but why that ui? I can't see any reason to pick that particular version. It is better for it's express purpose(craft inventory management) but fairly horrid elsewhere. Who requested this? And would they care to explain why? Cause right now it appears stupid, and i don't like assuming people are stupid.

Which UI are you referring to? From the context I understand that you are criticizing the more new category system, except that I answered your question in my previous post (and it was one of many times I did that).

And while I can't remember who suggested it first, you can blame me, as I have pushed for this since the very beginning. And I still think the old system - with "us,", "them" etc. - was utterly, literally useless.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: May 14, 2017, 01:36:45 pm »
Seriously, the old system is useless. Prisoners are at the bottom, ships and weapons are at the top. What else is needed?
On the other hand, when I wanted to buy or sell some pistols, I had to crawl through a gigantic list of items (no, Quick Search is not good enough for this), which took time and I always missed something.

How about a compromise - Wide(ish) rangeing categories.

Ie: Krew (gals and similar), Shipyard (Ship Stuff), Outfits (Trappings and related), Rifles (Rifles, Carbines, Shotguns ect), Pistols (ALL the pistols), Bulky (Big stuff), Close and personal (All close in weapons), Captives (All Prisoners and related items)

And those are just some ideas I had while writeing this post.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 01:46:34 pm by Roxis231 »

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: May 14, 2017, 02:33:14 pm »
The extra equipment filters in the fence screen are nice and all, but I really would appreciate a compromise. As Elemiach has noted there are no filters that have inherited the place for vessels, treasure, us and them; they're all lumped into 'all items' category.  The old categories were incredibly useful for quickly finding and selling those items, since a mature base is going to have an 'all items' category list longer than my arm.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: May 14, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »
Sorry scorch, clarity and comprehension was low on my part. This last week has been about 20 hours shorter on sleep then normal. I appear to mostly have been operating on frustration with something changing from status quo and not objective reasons.

Please ignore my last post as it was made before caffeine and food. 

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: May 14, 2017, 04:40:14 pm »
Another option would be to unify the quick search between base stores and equip screens.

In the equip screen I can q-search "underwater" or "pistol" or "melee" but I can't do that in fence or transfer.   

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: May 14, 2017, 06:36:47 pm »
Another option would be to unify the quick search between base stores and equip screens.

In the equip screen I can q-search "underwater" or "pistol" or "melee" but I can't do that in fence or transfer.

You people will be the death of me  :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4537 on: May 14, 2017, 07:46:09 pm »
No worries Legion, it wasn't offensive or anything - just an overlook. And yeah, yesterday I had to work an extra day too. ;)

Lumping some categories into broader categories would be a bad idea, though. Firstly, a modder (like poor little me) would have to separately define these Geoscape categories, and you have no idea how many items we have in bigger mods. And secondly and more importantly, it would not be as functional; if I want rifles, I want rifles.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: May 14, 2017, 07:48:53 pm »
You people will be the death of me  :P

I would do it, but I'm having a really hard time converting my brain from runtime languages to compiled languages :)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: May 16, 2017, 02:12:54 am »
Rifles including shotguns is incorrect, now if you called that category long arms, maybe.

I haven't looked at the system yet, but I trust you guys to figure this out.  I'm only likely to get involved for pointless stuff.

Offline kikanaide

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: May 17, 2017, 07:07:08 am »
Re: new search order, there's also no way to search for trappings, which is slightly cumbersome (would be *super* awesome if trappings were included in the respective 0-G/infiltrations/underwater/etc).

Also, is it just me, or did the update from 99F5 to 99G make it so that ships repair and then rearm?  This seems...not piratey.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4541 on: May 17, 2017, 07:41:25 am »
Repair -> Refuel -> Rearm sequence hasn't been changed since 1994 afaik :)

Offline kikanaide

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: May 17, 2017, 07:50:44 am »
Well...I remembered wrong then.  Alas, for my empty guns.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: May 17, 2017, 09:05:51 am »
Repair -> Refuel -> Rearm sequence hasn't been changed since 1994 afaik :)

And don't forget the shield-"repair".

Shield-Repair - Hull-Repair - Refuel - Rearm

I'll seek the door.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: May 17, 2017, 09:42:36 pm »
It’s pretty funny that squares right next to a gun-toting enemies are  nowamong the safest squares on the map.