Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609585 times)

Offline KateMicucci

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E.2 - 18 Nov - Dead in Space 2
« Reply #3720 on: November 26, 2016, 06:20:54 pm »
Because it is dangerous to use it :) To answer truthfully, all flying armor has some sort of uncool penalty to compensate for the immense advantage it gives.
That's fine, but it's strangely inconsistent with other flying armors, and the other flying armors don't have such high armor.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: November 26, 2016, 06:35:21 pm »
Made sense to me from a mentality standpoint, if a gals is wearing it you are assigning her to careen around the battlefield in the air at close range. Unlike hover line which assigned in squad support ie i dont get shot at.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: November 27, 2016, 12:19:10 am »
Any chance of getting another way to gain research going for 'public enemy' and the whole stargods faction?

I don't get any missions for the 'public enemy' (only the largest smuggler ships contain those and they don't shedule) and I get no stargods ships containing stargod guardians nor stargod operatives. The one stargod coordinator I managed to capture is sitting since month in prison unable to research because I have no clue about his/her 'lower ranked' soliders.

Got 25 brainers doing nothing but still have to tailor around 480 hellerium capsules. Don't mind that but just can't get my research going due to logic I don't get behind :/

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3723 on: November 27, 2016, 12:57:37 am »
The logic of Star Gods is that they make it really hard for you to uncover their secrets :) From E.2 onwards, there is more Guardians to be met. This problem will be adressed more fully in later versions.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: November 27, 2016, 04:39:03 am »
If the brainers are currently useless, why pay them? fire them until you have something to research, all you'd lose is a few days while they come to your base.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: November 29, 2016, 05:51:04 am »
It just occurred to me that the spy zeppelin would be particularly good for this. Also, I've not tried this, but I suppose that if your juggle your ships you could keep a mission active for days if you wanted to.

Yeah it only works for static missions, the pink + shaped ones. If you see a ufo landed you should go send an interceptor to it to fly cap over it along with a transport, that way if it takes off before your transport gets there it gets intercepted (would be nice if you could catch it on the ground, but if it takes off you should still see if you can shoot it down). Catching a battleship/dreadnought while it is parked is about the only practical way to get those missions though since they're brutal to beat.

This came in valuable handy in vanilla xcom (particularly TFTD but night missions in UFO suck too). I mean fighting tasoths and bio drones on freight ship in pitch black night is nearly as hard as it gets (that combo iz be fighting words). As a teenager playing this game in the 90s I was almost desperate to make it daytime because it was such a huge penalty to skip it.

Found out by accident because I sometimes send a fighter to terror mission by missclick and as soon as the fighter got there and boomeranged the mission would despawn. So 2 interceptors allowed it to keep going, and when the second nearly got there, I would send the transport.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: December 03, 2016, 10:10:09 pm »
Following should probably be applied so that items don't appear in the techtreeviewer:

Code: [Select]
manufacture:
  - delete: STR_PLASMA_PISTOL
  - delete: STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP
  - delete: STR_PLASMA_RIFLE
  - delete: STR_PLASMA_RIFLE_CLIP
  - delete: STR_HEAVY_PLASMA
  - delete: STR_HEAVY_PLASMA_CLIP
  - delete: STR_BLASTER_LAUNCHER
  - delete: STR_BLASTER_BOMB
  - delete: STR_SMALL_LAUNCHER
  - delete: STR_STUN_BOMB
  - delete: STR_ALIEN_GRENADE

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: December 03, 2016, 11:49:25 pm »
Is the techtreeviewer gonna be implemented in some form in the game, or is it purely meant as a debug/curiosity/cheat tool?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: December 04, 2016, 12:08:13 am »
Is the techtreeviewer gonna be implemented in some form in the game, or is it purely meant as a debug/curiosity/cheat tool?

What do you mean by "some form"?

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: December 04, 2016, 02:43:23 am »
The in-game tech tree viewer seems pretty functional and complete. I'm pretty happy with how it is working.

The only thing that makes me a bit uneasy about it is that it allows me to browse through tech far beyond what I already have. (Which isn't a big deal, because this is my third playthrough anyway.) So perhaps it would benefit from a spoiler-filter, like the item info box things have.

Usually the only things I want to know from the tech viewer are: Does this research lead to anything else; and if so, do those new topics require other prerequisites as well.

I guess it could have a filter to put ****** for techs that are too far off. I'm not sure what the best way is to determine what techs can be seen, but one idea is to show any tech which:
  • Could be researched now (ignoring item requirements)
  • Has any of the researchable techs as a direct prerequisite

I think that would probably work well. It probably wouldn't hide many techs unless you started browsing deep into the future.

[edit]

I've thought about it a little bit more, and decided that it might be better to be slightly more restrictive in the following way:
Instead of revealing a tech if we can research any of the prerequisite, it would probably be better to only reveal them when we are able to research all of the prerequisites. Everything else could be hidden as *******, and revealed by a "show spoilers" button.

This way, some techs would say "leads to *******", so that we'd know it leads to something, but we wouldn't be told what that something is unless we are close to unlocking it anyway.

Any thoughts about this?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:51:19 am by karadoc »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: December 07, 2016, 08:42:46 pm »
Longest time folks. Got distracted by Runescape for a while. Looks like the game is much more complicated than when I left. Will give a shot during Xmas holidays.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: December 08, 2016, 06:58:34 am »
I'm wondering if there are ways to make the zombies more aggressive and actively moving towards things that shoot at them.  They are terrifying up close, but if have good firing arcs, they're just good target practice and a test on your ammo supply.  I'd actually like it if they accounted for how stealthy a weapon is supposed to be, arrows or silent thrown weapons would only attract the ones they hit, while a homefront rifle or a chainsaw would call them in from a long distance.

It also seems like they don't have the ability to open doors, maybe giving them some special attack to use only on doors or weak walls, an AI capable of actually using that might be useful.

Incidentally, the scariest run in I've had with those guys so far was a ratling village, lots of places to hide.

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #3732 on: December 08, 2016, 02:04:41 pm »
I wonder what the difficulty actually affects. I guess higher difficulty means:
More enemies per mission.
Higher likelyhood of retaliation.
Anything else?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: December 08, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »
Difficulty also increases ufo firing rate and alien stats.  Also, the lowest difficulty cuts all enemies armor by half.  See this article for more information.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: December 08, 2016, 06:26:02 pm »
I'm wondering if there are ways to make the zombies more aggressive and actively moving towards things that shoot at them.  They are terrifying up close,

Terrifying? Not that much. If your gals are not complete weaklings, plastasteel pipes are a convenient way to take them down (and capture them alive so you get more hellerium). The scariest thing about zombies is that there might be cryssalids as well.