aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3680929 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E.2 - 18 Nov - Dead in Space 2
« Reply #3690 on: November 23, 2016, 04:25:36 pm »
You can sort the training screen in any order...

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #3691 on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:22 pm »
Does the prospector actually do anything special, as the text suggest, or is it just a transport?

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: November 23, 2016, 08:06:12 pm »
Does the prospector actually do anything special, as the text suggest, or is it just a transport?

Its Maintenance "Cost" is Negative.

So just sitting there, it Generates Positive Revenue.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3693 on: November 23, 2016, 08:13:23 pm »
Every time I do the math on the Prospector, I figure it will take a year to pay for itself.  Even then it generates very little compared to other more lucrative projects.  Coupled with the hangar space, and the space that takes up in a base, I think they are a novelty, but not worth it.  I know some players like them for their cool map and the ability to haul a lot of troops, but they take so long to get where they are going you can only use them to go after targets that won't disappear in transit.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: November 23, 2016, 08:47:38 pm »
I use it for the ore.  Ore makes obsidian credit chips, obsidian credit chips make obscene profit in the mint.

Offline Narvi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: November 23, 2016, 09:18:55 pm »
You can sort the training screen in any order...
I meant the left-to-right order of the columns. I'd like it if they were in the order they're written in the Bootypedia so I can just go "66, 66, 66, 85, 85, 100, 100" in my head instead of doing this notepad thing.

I mean, it's not a big thing, I'll probably remember them on my own eventually.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3696 on: November 23, 2016, 09:32:23 pm »
I meant the left-to-right order of the columns. I'd like it if they were in the order they're written in the Bootypedia so I can just go "66, 66, 66, 85, 85, 100, 100" in my head instead of doing this notepad thing.

The order in training room is the same as in all info screens; the order in training article is ascending, depending on stat cap. Seriously, man. Get a grip.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: November 24, 2016, 12:24:03 am »
Might have mistaken your situation with someone else who avoids civilians like the plague, they have the same negative score for capture as killing, but are pretty good subjects for research and/or ransoming.
When you intercept a ship and it says "Civilian Traffic" it usually has people that dont present a penalty. Bootypedia says they're fair game.

Usually its something like a Saavy Girl, Tough Girl, Tough Guy, or Sharp Guy. You get a tiny green aircar that has 2 people in it, or you get a midsize green aircar that has 4-6 people in it. Or you get a cool looking green 2 floor spaceship that has a tough guy and a saavy girl.

I mean you dont get much points on the debriefing screen for them (maybe ~40-60 total) but you definitely dont get a penalty unless you kill them. Penalties for killing dudes is usually like -4 to -7 per dude.

Also apparently just shooting down the ship provides at least 100 points each because at the end of the year I can still be like 1300-2300 points scary even though I distinctly do NOT remember getting anywhere near that from my mission debriefings (40-60 points here and there, it adds up but not nearly that much)

These usually go about 1000mph or so and they have no weapons. Sale proceeds from loot and ransom is ~50,000 to 200,000 depending on what you want to keep.

I have run into a few missions where you have something like a small transport ship with people in brown uniforms, you get a penalty for the people on board - whether you kill or capture them it doesnt matter.

But they arent marked "civilian traffic" and the interception image doesnt have the (orange and blue?) lights on the front that the bootypedia says is a Rebel Freighter (which also says you're not supposed to shoot it down).

I havent encountered those much though, only the rare ones that land (intercepted one and didnt want to get shot, and then it landed nearby, so I remember what the interception picture looked like). Only enough to know this is a thing.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: November 24, 2016, 01:17:27 am »
I was wondering, is it possible to have two or more enemy crafts on a map, or technically have 'one' craft that is made to look like it's several smaller crafts with terrain between them?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3699 on: November 24, 2016, 01:53:21 am »
I was wondering, is it possible to have two or more enemy crafts on a map, or technically have 'one' craft that is made to look like it's several smaller crafts with terrain between them?

Yes and yes. But all UFOs must have the same tileset.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: November 24, 2016, 01:59:54 am »
@ RSSwizard

The Non civilian traffic that you are getting a penalty from are government forces using lower end ships, most commonly excavators. Only government fighters, ordinators, fusion cruisers, and the rebel traffic have the extra lights.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: November 24, 2016, 02:31:34 am »
Unfortunately, capture and kill has the same score, so those civilians are still worth negative points alive or dead, but they're worth money or research, which translates into positive score, if they're alive.  Shooting ships does give score too, though I don't remember how much.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: November 24, 2016, 03:16:21 am »
but they take so long to get where they are going you can only use them to go after targets that won't disappear in transit.
Targets dont disappear in transit, landing sites anyway. If you have a ship in route it keeps the landing site from de-spawning (foot-in-the-door type of thing). Ive used this behavior for years in vanilla to prevent terror sites from going away so I can shoe-spoon my transport in there when the sun comes up.

Not sure what this Prospector thing is but it sounds like the same deal as the Purple Turtle. Also if it has a negative maintenance cost thats better than one which costs you money.

Its like the power plant, its not the negative maintenance that you build it for, that just means its a support building that just happens to effectively cost less than it seems.

Real question is can it get anywhere in the world, the starter airbus thingy has a hidden dark side that its limited fuel means there's some missions that are just out of reach.

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #3703 on: November 24, 2016, 03:56:30 am »
Targets dont disappear in transit, landing sites anyway. If you have a ship in route it keeps the landing site from de-spawning (foot-in-the-door type of thing). Ive used this behavior for years in vanilla to prevent terror sites from going away so I can shoe-spoon my transport in there when the sun comes up.

I just had my EL FUEGO fly half-way across the world, in the wrong direction just so that it arrives at the Pogrom in daylight. So this behavior can be abused.
But it does not work with everything though, it works with pogroms but not with landed ships like smugglers.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: November 24, 2016, 10:06:49 am »
It just occurred to me that the spy zeppelin would be particularly good for this.

Also, I've not tried this, but I suppose that if your juggle your ships you could keep a mission active for days if you wanted to. I guess that kind of exploit could be reduced if the game didn't allow you to target a mission that has already reached its time limit. (ie. if the only reason the mission is active is that it is being targeting, it will stay active but will not allow more ships to target it.) -- On the other hand, the exploit probably isn't valuable enough to bother fixing.