aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3611647 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E.2 - 18 Nov - Dead in Space 2
« Reply #3675 on: November 22, 2016, 01:28:14 am »
So it is triggered by research? Fair enough, since research can be autocompleted at game start or somesuch. I was hoping for a global list as well, where you could simply define different eco-events to be triggered at random each week or month, with some of them blocked off by research (akin to missionScripts). Also absolutely needs a popup feedback window that informs the player what the hell is going on.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: November 22, 2016, 01:53:07 am »
Don't forget a way to check what modifiers are active, whenever you feel the need.

On another note, I'm really curious about stealth, weapons, and enemies knowing where you are when you shoot at them.  Are there weapons that don't reveal you, assuming they don't already know your location?  Can we get some, if they aren't available?  Can we get information on the map based on particularly loud weapons, marking probable sources, made more accurate if you have people spread out enough, say a circle where your crew think it came from?

Sorry about the short questions, not sure how to make that flow better.

Oh, and an idea:  It would be fun* if there was a chance, based on how many missions total your selected crew had gone on, max rank, and total character growth, of having a Predator spawn on a map, out for your Gals heads.  I'd like it if it would hunt any living thing in there and be considered an enemy to your opponents, but that's not really required.

*fun not guaranteed

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: November 22, 2016, 02:03:05 am »
Not sure about your experiences but in vanilla xcom I think Laser Cannons were the de-facto money conveyor.

Ah, didn't know that or maybe i forgot. The principle remains the same however.

While I think the price fluctuations a la Apocalypse would shake things up, I still think it's a terrible idea. Just like the one with different alien containment types. After the initial 'coolness factor' wears off it would only serve as more micromanagement and calculation.

I didn't suggest it because it sounded cool, but to have a solution for the boring money-on-conveyor-belt manufacturing. I agree that my other suggestion about adding world events that would affect market prices, sounds like more fun. It would still add micro, but probably not as much. To avoid it becoming a gimmick and to give the player some agency however, i think the player should be able to influence such events in a way. Now obviously this can be implemented in the tiniest way like "thwarted terror mission renews civilian morale and spikes demand for small arms to form nation-wide militias", or indeed much more complex chains of events with unpredictable outcomes

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: November 22, 2016, 02:17:21 am »
It's not that new mission types come up with the Pachyderm, it's that if you try to take a slow craft on a certain mission type it tells you something like "That craft is no good for this mission, Cap'n!" and doesn't let you do it.  You may not have enabled that mission type yet --- I don't remember what the trigger is for the research.

Yeah this is a mystery to me. I didnt even have the mansion thing pop up at all on my first play (whole first year).

Maybe the types of missions available are random? or there's something going on with the game that dioxine isnt aware of?

Only missions Ive gotten (and I had access to a pachyderm for some time) were:
Pogroms, Lokknarrs, Temple of Sirius, Watchtower
Underwater Adventures, Warehouse Wars
Animal hunts: Shambler, Chupacabra, Bloodhounds
Mansion/SaveAGirl (did not appear at all on my first try, but its there on my current one)

(I would also mention that on my 2nd game attempt its now April 2601 and the White Shambler mission came up in the first month but I turned it down. Now it is not reappearing at all).

Then again based on research progression I only got up to unlocking *TheMutantAlliance* on the first playthrough and that wasnt until February 2602.

I had a Pachyderm on the purchase list ever since like July 2601.

> my face when, the results im getting from the game are completely different than what everyone else is talking about, even though its the same mod they're playing

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3679 on: November 22, 2016, 02:26:38 am »
Maybe the types of missions available are random? or there's something going on with the game that dioxine isnt aware of?

No.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: November 22, 2016, 02:28:32 am »
You are playing radically different from most of us, which slows your progression.  Avoiding civilians completely is doable, moral, but lots of money comes from them and the score negatives are so low as to practically not be there.  Avoiding extremely risky missions means you're not getting the rewards from those missions.  Avoiding at all costs lethal force makes the riskier missions far harder.

However, given that the game is mostly about surviving as a pirate crew, your choices are perfectly acceptable.  Don't want to be a murderer? You can do that. Don't want to break a self imposed moral code? Easy, though it might increase the difficulty.

A big problem is that the game still progresses based on time, which means you might not be ready for things the game expects you to be able to deal with.  I'd prefer it be based more on how much you scare people, for how much effort they're going to put into putting you into the ground.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3681 on: November 22, 2016, 02:37:34 am »
A big problem is that the game still progresses based on time, which means you might not be ready for things the game expects you to be able to deal with.  I'd prefer it be based more on how much you scare people, for how much effort they're going to put into putting you into the ground.

The progression is slight, but it is there. It is basically meant to cull campaigns that are going nowhere. Easy missions dry up, very slowly, and automated Crackdowns start after a very long while. This will be a bit more severe in the future versions, when normal flights will start to be replaced by Marsec and other higher-tier enemies, starting late Year 2 or early Year 3.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: November 22, 2016, 03:06:02 am »
You are playing radically different from most of us, which slows your progression.

Seemed to be self explanatory, as well as explained in the bootypedia, mission briefings, and even the readme file. In order to progress you must capture people and research them, more than once since they can be researched multiple times, this means capture-capture-capture.

The only time its said its safe to kill is ratmen (but not the swaggins) and critters.

just following orders captain!

Im not taking on dangerous missions until ive got the equipment to take them on. Also about the only dangerous stuff ive run into is cyclops (one time) and the pogroms. Ill start taking on pogroms when ive got at least chainmail (which also means not checking off on the mutant alliance research either, since that makes pogroms mandatory, and I really love to watch these missions despawn otherwise).

re: civilian traffic
says I can shoot them down all the livelong day just not kill them
so I do, and I dont, only killed a few over the course of by first try (like -15 points altogether maybe, sum total)
not sure why other people have a problem with accidentally killing them

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: November 22, 2016, 03:22:33 am »
I usually get a big boost to my resources after a pogrom, even with aircar, it's potentially worth it. I don't do a capture only run, though I do like to capture, sometimes it's too risky, sometimes I they do that civilian in an arcade shooter thing and walk in the wrong place with the wrong twitchy gunner, sometimes they just piss me off. I've not had too much trouble with money, except for when I forgot to set my runts to actually work.

Might have mistaken your situation with someone else who avoids civilians like the plague, they have the same negative score for capture as killing, but are pretty good subjects for research and/or ransoming.

I do play on the second difficulty, and am not very far into the game, I've avoided fishy missions so far and mansion missions are just a little further than I've gotten before an update shows up.  Monster hunts are fun, especially with light auto weapons, haven't gotten lucky enough to meet a chupacapra.

On missions, what you get and what you find is random, I believe it's set at the beginning of the month. You get an unlucky group of missions and you're going to be waiting.

Honestly, none of my runs have really been very similar to each other, the mod is vast enough that you run into strange things at times. 

Also, as I understand the premise, the game tells you that you're a pirate, have fun :)

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: November 22, 2016, 09:06:00 am »
So it is triggered by research? Fair enough, since research can be autocompleted at game start or somesuch. I was hoping for a global list as well, where you could simply define different eco-events to be triggered at random each week or month, with some of them blocked off by research (akin to missionScripts). Also absolutely needs a popup feedback window that informs the player what the hell is going on.

my idea was:

system is triggered by ( via ecoChange: tag):
- research once completed, it changes array of ecoCategory to some extent
- facility, once builded
- any other event ?

system may impact by (via ecoCategory tag):
- research time cost
- buy & sell item cost (firearms, armours, crafts & craft weapons)
- manufacture build cost & time cost
- facility build cost
- any other cost ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:24:59 am by bladum »

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: November 22, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »
The progression is slight, but it is there. It is basically meant to cull campaigns that are going nowhere. Easy missions dry up, very slowly, and automated Crackdowns start after a very long while. This will be a bit more severe in the future versions, when normal flights will start to be replaced by Marsec and other higher-tier enemies, starting late Year 2 or early Year 3.

What do you mean by "normal flights"?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3686 on: November 22, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »
Hellerium-powered flights, such as Surveys, Conversions, Freights etc.

Offline ThatDude

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: November 23, 2016, 07:10:39 am »
So uh, what's the purpose for being able to buy Wrecked Cars?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3688 on: November 23, 2016, 12:11:03 pm »
None... yet.

Offline Narvi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: November 23, 2016, 03:07:36 pm »
Small request: Can you arrange the Dojo max values in the actual training screen in the order it's arranged in the Bootypedia? I checked the max values with an overlapping notepad file but having them in order would make it easier to keep straight in my head.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:26:27 pm by Narvi »