Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3664602 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99D - 30 Oct - Learning to Swim
« Reply #3420 on: October 30, 2016, 11:05:29 pm »
Yay, new version! Congrats, I know how much work it was. :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: October 30, 2016, 11:42:38 pm »
0.99D
- Update: Tougher enemy vessels fortified with Shields and/or Dodge
- Update: pilots gain experience faster
- Update: much higher scoring for shooting down UFOs

It's a start... but still, losing pilots makes me intercept even less UFOs than I did in vanilla (and I shot down exactly zero of them in my last vanilla LP... Hawaii challenge)  :-[

Maybe I could add an "Eject Seat" button to dogfight UI, so that you can save pilot(s), but you will lose the craft (even if not yet completely destroyed).

- Bows extreme-range acc reduced, but hunting bow's short range acc increased slightly; bows no longer cause extra stun compared to melee & thrown equivalents
- Bows now have base damage but less stat-dependant damage
- Bows, thrown weapons, whips now use either Gaussian or TFTD damage (like melee weapons)

Phew, good that I managed to kill them all already  ;)

- Changed damage loss formula per distance on the Blaster

Was the episode where I complain about it aired already? :o

- Mushroom Beer now requires a rare item

Should have kept my mouth shut...  :-X

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: October 30, 2016, 11:51:56 pm »
Maybe I could add an "Eject Seat" button to dogfight UI, so that you can save pilot(s), but you will lose the craft (even if not yet completely destroyed).

Great, useful idea! It would make the mod 20% cooler. 8)

Offline KateMicucci

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: October 31, 2016, 12:20:08 am »
I knew that I shouldn't have started a new game today.  >:(

- Bows extreme-range acc reduced, but hunting bow's short range acc increased slightly; bows no longer cause extra stun compared to melee & thrown equivalents
- Bows now have base damage but less stat-dependant damage
- Bows, thrown weapons, whips now use either Gaussian or TFTD damage (like melee weapons)
- Shotguns shoot a bit slower

Very good. Shotguns and bows were much too powerful before.

You might also want to take a look at javelins. They're very powerful and easily have over 100% accuracy within their 14 tile range. Their accuracy should perhaps be reduced or have a falloff as well.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: October 31, 2016, 01:26:57 am »

Should the button work during the 0.5 or 1 second where your craft has reached 0 hitpoints and you're hearing the crash and burn sound effect? Because then you could always save your pilot if you keep the cursor over the button. To avoid that, i'm guessing it should only work as long as your craft has at least 1 hitpoint left?

Also, would it be possible to implement systems damage to crafts, so that you could (if lucky) damage the enemy's engines or weapons, thereby adding some more tactical depth to interception?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3425 on: October 31, 2016, 01:31:42 am »
But what happens to the pilot then? Simply transferred to the point of origin? Boring.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: October 31, 2016, 02:37:12 am »
But what happens to the pilot then? Simply transferred to the point of origin? Boring.

Umm... Save Swabbie Rayne?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: October 31, 2016, 08:57:37 am »

Why boring?
It's realistic, like many other things many people here are fighting for (e.g. "never surrender, but actually always surrender if others (at least one) have surrendered too" or my all time favourite "let's build a different type of alien containment for every imaginable type of alien").

Anyway, back to the point, any other suggestions?
I really won't be sending trained girls to their death, and I am probably (hopefully?) not alone.

Should the button work during the 0.5 or 1 second where your craft has reached 0 hitpoints and you're hearing the crash and burn sound effect? Because then you could always save your pilot if you keep the cursor over the button. To avoid that, i'm guessing it should only work as long as your craft has at least 1 hitpoint left?

Of course not. If the craft is destroyed, you can't eject anymore.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: October 31, 2016, 12:28:50 pm »

Yeah, it's not boring for me either. But it would also be a nice excuse to introduce the "save the pilot" mission (only after ejection).

Of course not. If the craft is destroyed, you can't eject anymore.

That's not really so clear-cut, I think a craft that falls like a stone is considered destroyed, even when the pilot still lives... But allowing ejection after the destruction would mean the pilot would survive pretty much every time, which would defeat the point.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: October 31, 2016, 01:48:35 pm »
Man, every time I get on top of updating wiki articles and my interception simulator, this happens. :P

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: October 31, 2016, 01:57:17 pm »
Man, every time I get on top of updating wiki articles and my interception simulator, this happens. :P

Just put in =IF(RANDBETWEEN(1,2)=1;"They lost!","You lost :(")

People won't notice the difference :)

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: October 31, 2016, 01:59:00 pm »
Yeah, it's not boring for me either. But it would also be a nice excuse to introduce the "save the pilot" mission (only after ejection).

I completely agree. As it is now, pilots just die if shit hits the fan on an intercept, but with an eject function you would add even more depth and variety to the game. Also, not attending such a mission would give the same result as the pilot not ejecting, making the whole thing optional and not a chore.

That's not really so clear-cut, I think a craft that falls like a stone is considered destroyed, even when the pilot still lives... But allowing ejection after the destruction would mean the pilot would survive pretty much every time, which would defeat the point.

Another thing to consider is that some ships will outright destroy your craft in a blink, before you can react...Or is this only a thing in early game?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:02:03 pm by Foxhound634 »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: October 31, 2016, 02:11:26 pm »
Just put in =IF(RANDBETWEEN(1,2)=1;"They lost!","You lost :(")

People won't notice the difference :)

For as much as you like doing interceptions, =IF(RANDBETWEEN(1,2)=1;"You lost!","You lost!")

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: October 31, 2016, 02:44:05 pm »

I have a suggestion. Make aircombat slow enough so the disengange button is useful. (or make disengage faster)

I've tried it recently, but it doesn't work right now. I had a Pachyderm as lead interceptor and hit the disengage button on it at about 50% hitpoints. I tried several times and never got away once. I was fighting a heavy gunship, so that was not an easy foe, but it was a situation where I felt disengaging should be possible. You fight with multiple interceptors and one gets damaged, it disengages and the others finish the job.

If shippings had like double the fire rate at half the damage (so same dps), damage would be dealt more consistently and you had a better chance to abort on time.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: October 31, 2016, 02:56:25 pm »
I have a suggestion. Make aircombat slow enough so the disengange button is useful. (or make disengage faster)

There is an option in the user settings to make dogfights slower/faster.

I've tried it recently, but it doesn't work right now. I had a Pachyderm as lead interceptor and hit the disengage button on it at about 50% hitpoints. I tried several times and never got away once. I was fighting a heavy gunship, so that was not an easy foe, but it was a situation where I felt disengaging should be possible. You fight with multiple interceptors and one gets damaged, it disengages and the others finish the job.

The enemy craft wouldn't let you go just like that, in an instant. They are not that stupid, right?
The only "instant disengage" is "eject seat" :)

If shippings had like double the fire rate at half the damage (so same dps), damage would be dealt more consistently and you had a better chance to abort on time.

That's already possible. Up to the modder to decide.