Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3693622 times)

Offline earwig

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99C.1 - 10 Sep - Become an Idol!
« Reply #3405 on: October 17, 2016, 04:28:57 pm »
Could somebody please create a mirror for the latest version?

Mediafire is blocked by my ISP  :'(

Thanks in advance!

Offline xaphias

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: October 18, 2016, 06:41:05 am »
I'm thinking that Bossar should get a nerf, I find myself using it even lategame, for it's accurate and rapid autofire at long range with decent damage, it's a bit of a jack of all trades, no real need to diversify. and it's pretty easy to make.
let me know your thoughts :)

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: October 18, 2016, 09:50:46 am »
I'm thinking that Bossar should get a nerf, I find myself using it even lategame, for it's accurate and rapid autofire at long range with decent damage, it's a bit of a jack of all trades, no real need to diversify. and it's pretty easy to make.
let me know your thoughts :)

The weight and the fact it's not too powerful makes it more like a good assualt rifle IMO. It's meant to be a jack of all trades ain't it?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: October 18, 2016, 02:57:41 pm »
The Bossar is pretty great, but you have to remember that all the long-range automatic fire weapons spend most of the game playing catch-up to the Heavy Machine Gun and Heavy Gauss in terms of raw firepower delivered to target.  The Bossar only just reaches HMG/PS rounds for damage, but makes up for it by being useful on the front lines as well.  It still can't beat a Heavy Gauss blast at close range, and you can loot those within the first year.

On the assault rifle front, it eventually has to compete against the likes of the Battle Laser (similar weight and firepower, but ignores some armor) and the XG Rifle (nuch lighter weight, damage scaling with accuracy).  The Bossar is there to make the equipping phase quicker - there's a better weapon for pretty much every role, but eh, I feel like being lazy and just using the Bossar for everything.

If you want to feel the need to diversify, try things like the Vulcan RFG, Tornado Rocket Mortar, and XG weapons.

Offline animefreak2599

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: October 19, 2016, 02:42:20 am »
Oof, just finished a reticulan base mission in month 2 on impossible difficulty. I saw a "very small" landed UFO and was like, "hey, I can deal with that!"

50 turns and 4 out of my original 6 gals dead, but man was it worth it. One suggestion for the game that I'd like to make is, maybe reticulan engineer research/interrogations(you can't interrogate them, currently) should count towards some of the research options that interrogating other factions' engineers open up? It seems a little silly for my pirates to learn next to nothing from interrogating an engineer, even if it's an engineer who primarily works with slightly different technologies. It should definitely open up some materials/construction techs at least, but I'm not super familiar with the tech tree layout.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3410 on: October 19, 2016, 04:32:38 am »
Good idea, while he's useful already, I can make him also unlock the Test Flight tech.

Offline xaphias

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: October 21, 2016, 02:59:18 pm »
The Bossar is pretty great, but you have to remember that all the long-range automatic fire weapons spend most of the game playing catch-up to the Heavy Machine Gun and Heavy Gauss in terms of raw firepower delivered to target.  The Bossar only just reaches HMG/PS rounds for damage, but makes up for it by being useful on the front lines as well.  It still can't beat a Heavy Gauss blast at close range, and you can loot those within the first year.

On the assault rifle front, it eventually has to compete against the likes of the Battle Laser (similar weight and firepower, but ignores some armor) and the XG Rifle (nuch lighter weight, damage scaling with accuracy).  The Bossar is there to make the equipping phase quicker - there's a better weapon for pretty much every role, but eh, I feel like being lazy and just using the Bossar for everything.

If you want to feel the need to diversify, try things like the Vulcan RFG, Tornado Rocket Mortar, and XG weapons.

true, the weight is something I forgot about, it is quite heavy, but it has increased autofire range up to 30 tiles with no penalty.
the further away you are from your enemy, the safer you are. it just feels abit too safe. I would suggest, maybe 25tile autofire range, 3shot burst, and 50-55dmg. or make it like the snipers, that it has a minimum range, that's even better. make it effective only at like 15-30 tiles, then you need to divirsify.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: October 25, 2016, 12:46:44 am »
Man, the Mercs are extra tough with the addition of camouflage and thermal vision - I have to think twice before I take on a crashed heavy gunship, and now I desperately need ghost or assassin armor.  Huzzah it's challenging again!

Edit: I guess I could just pay up for a merc commando of my own too... Just need to make sure he gets vaporized if he goes down.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:07:55 am by ohartenstein23 »

Offline KateMicucci

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: October 29, 2016, 07:00:52 pm »
I am trying to mod in Ratmen Rodeo type missions for other lesser factions, experimenting first with Spartans.

However there are two problems:

First, the Spartans keep spawning with Ratling weapons even though I've copied over Spartan loadouts from their terror mission to the new Spartan_Village mission.

Second, the game keeps creating ratmen alerts, markers and briefings even though I've created new lines for all of those things in Piratez_lang.rul for the new mission.

I'm starting a new game for each test but is it possible that the game is still loading with the old data somehow? This is my first try at modding Xcom.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3414 on: October 29, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »
Yes it's really convoluted to make it work. The things you're missing are:
1. textures:
Code: [Select]
    - id: -5
      deployments:
        STR_LOC_RATLING_VILLAGE: 100

This is what actually sets the deployment(s); multiple deployments are possible but will be selected at random.

2. Region to go with the textures (regions:), eg.
Code: [Select]
  - type: REGION_LOC_RATLING_VILLAGE
    missionZones:
      -
        - [0, 0, -41, -41, -5] # HiszpaƄska Wioska

first 4 are coordinates, the -5 is for texture.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:29:35 pm by Dioxine »

Offline KateMicucci

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: October 29, 2016, 09:06:23 pm »
Fantastic, it's working perfectly now. Thanks.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:16 pm »
When's the next version?  ::)  :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99D - 30 Oct - Learning to Swim
« Reply #3417 on: October 30, 2016, 10:22:58 pm »
Now. :)

So what's new, in short? A ton of things, although not much will be immediately visible. There was addition of new missions, most notably the first underwater mission which shows what can be done with x-com mechanics with a tiny bit of inventiveness.
There are also few tedium-lessening features in early game.
Code-wise, Meridian & Yankes introduced some great features I've implemented, like new lighting engine and enemy surrender mode.
Tons of tweaks were made in existing items, based on player feedback (extra thanks to LP'ers!).
A lot of new stuff has been implemented as well.
Altcorpse mod might be no longer up-to-date, but Piratez has its own bleeding & stun indicators that help where the altcorpse mod is not yet finished (or provide an ascetic alternative to those who don't play with it).
Last but not least, shootouts with enemy vessels have been incentived by sharp increase of XP and score bonuses for shootdowns (the score increased 3 to 4-fold).

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: October 30, 2016, 10:38:10 pm »
A word on what to do to upgrade saves to enable the new missions?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3419 on: October 30, 2016, 10:41:06 pm »
Research them as normal, the tree structure wasn't mutilated this time. Actually only Sea Adventure needs research, the others should start spawning automatically the next month. Avoid upgrading in Battlescape.