Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3670854 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99B - 18 Aug - Sky's The Limit
« Reply #3240 on: August 27, 2016, 05:43:19 pm »
That revamped truck looks quite awesome compared to the original. It's like seeing an advertisement photo next to something caught at night with a phone :P Well done Devon_v!

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: August 28, 2016, 03:07:56 am »
The pachyderm's problem was that the color on the original image was a tad too bright for X-Com's palette, so closest color matching turned the red into pink and orange, which have higher brightness in X-Com. The original image does have that blueish background color, but it made it look washed out. By lowering the brightness a little and nudging up the contrast it converts to X-Com's palette much truer, and it's just a few minutes of pixel hunting to chase out the random green and pink pixels that pattern dithering likes to insert.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: August 28, 2016, 03:30:16 am »
v0.99B, I was able to research Tornado Special Munitions before having researched the Tornado launcher itself - which strikes me as weird. The weapon should probably be a prereq. for the special ammo.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: August 28, 2016, 05:54:46 am »
Here are the two I was fiddling with. I want to look at The Most Common Superpower next, but I'm probably going to be busy the next few days.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: August 28, 2016, 08:42:56 pm »
Dioxine, do you still have the source image for The Most Common Superpower? Reverse image search is not bringing that one up.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3245 on: August 29, 2016, 02:55:00 pm »
Somewhere, but I won't waste several hours on finding it, sorry :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3246 on: August 29, 2016, 03:40:47 pm »
Just wanted to clarify for the tutorial video I'm working on:

Code: [Select]
HOW DO I INSTALL THIS MOD?
WINDOWS:
- Unpack the mod. It will create a complete Openxcom_XPiratez folder with all the files that you need; it will contain the correct nightly version and Yankes's & Meridian's custom exe named "OpenXcomExPlus29".
- Copy files from your original "UFO: Enemy Unknown"/"X-Com: UFO Defense" folder to the "OpenXcom_XPiratez/UFO" folder.
- Use OpenXcomExPlus29.exe to run the game.
- Choose "Piratez" as the master mod from the Game Options menu.
- Includes four sub-mods: helmetless/maskless armor paperdoll variants made by Roxis231, the 'naughty mod' (it adds the option for gals to fight in the nude, with proper modifiers; do not enable if you don't like such things) and a fun Star God commander replacement with Dioxine's avatar by Alex_D :)

I'm also including applying the Universal Patch after I copy the original files.  If you don't want this step in the video, let me know. :)
Thanks!

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32:41 pm »
I'm almost positive that Piratez defaults to the master mod now.

The steps for me were
1) Unpack Piratez
2) Copy UFO files.
3) Boot OpenXcomExPlus29.exe

It was definitely more involved several versions ago.

Somewhere, but I won't waste several hours on finding it, sorry :)
Remember me if it ever jumps out at you. ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:35:05 pm by Devon_v »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #3248 on: August 30, 2016, 10:35:24 am »

I'm also including applying the Universal Patch after I copy the original files.  If you don't want this step in the video, let me know. :)
Thanks!

You should skip it, it's confusing and afaik applying the patch is only needed if you downloaded X-Com for an abandonware site. And if by chance such site provided a patched version, applying the patch is likely to crash Openxcom.

GoG or Steam versions should be ready to use.

niculinux

« Reply #3249 on: August 30, 2016, 02:53:38 pm »
You should skip it, it's confusing and afaik applying the patch is only needed if you downloaded X-Com for an abandonware site. And if by chance such site provided a patched version, applying the patch is likely to crash Openxcom.

GoG or Steam versions should be ready to use.

Though i own a copy of the game, i tryed downloading and patching it, never had problems :=)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: August 31, 2016, 02:03:28 pm »
Please, tell me: what difference is between slave types? I mean is it only more storage space, or some invisible bonuses exist?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3251 on: August 31, 2016, 04:45:53 pm »
Please, tell me: what difference is between slave types? I mean is it only more storage space, or some invisible bonuses exist?

Mostly storage space, but some specific slave types are required for various manufacturing projects.  I like to think of them like pokemon.  Gotta catch 'em all.

Edit:  Also some slaves are more cost effective than others, when you compare their ransom vs the amount of space they provide.  Raider scouts vs Researchers is one example.  I often ransom the more rewarding ones, and slave the others.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:47:40 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:44 pm »
Mostly storage space, but some specific slave types are required for various manufacturing projects.  I like to think of them like pokemon.  Gotta catch 'em all.

Edit:  Also some slaves are more cost effective than others, when you compare their ransom vs the amount of space they provide.  Raider scouts vs Researchers is one example.  I often ransom the more rewarding ones, and slave the others.

Free storage (or even storage that makes money!) > all. It allows you to reduce the number of vaults you have in a base, thus enabling you to have more other facilities (ex.: another workshop for more moneys, another defense system to save you from that boring hideout defense). It would have to be a lot of immediate money (or early in the game where money is really scarce) to be worth what the slaves are worth in the long term. Also some faction loot (like Force circuitry) is quite valuable too, so slaving > ransom (and to expand on it, slaving > robbing > ransoming).

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3253 on: August 31, 2016, 05:51:39 pm »
Free storage (or even storage that makes money!) > all. It allows you to reduce the number of vaults you have in a base, thus enabling you to have more other facilities (ex.: another workshop for more moneys, another defense system to save you from that boring hideout defense). It would have to be a lot of immediate money (or early in the game where money is really scarce) to be worth what the slaves are worth in the long term. Also some faction loot (like Force circuitry) is quite valuable too, so slaving > ransom (and to expand on it, slaving > robbing > ransoming).

Very good point!  I completely forgot about the new mechanic where slaves make you money every month.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: August 31, 2016, 10:27:06 pm »
Very good point!  I completely forgot about the new mechanic where slaves make you money every month.
Is there any ufopedia entry about ( with numbers)?