Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3693846 times)

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99B - 18 Aug - Sky's The Limit
« Reply #3195 on: August 22, 2016, 09:08:48 pm »
Say, anyone know why OpenXcomEX ignores all of the blank spots in its fonts? I was experimenting with icons for the extractions, disassemblies, robberies, and slavery to make them look prettier than ASCII, but even though ¤, ¥, ¦, and § are defined in font.dat, but not drawn in fontsmall.png - and thus unused in the default game - the game ignores them even when they are added to the appropriate blank spots in fontsmall.png. It just prints nothing, not even the default single pixel that represents each unused glyph.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: August 22, 2016, 09:33:44 pm »
Say, anyone know why OpenXcomEX ignores all of the blank spots in its fonts? I was experimenting with icons for the extractions, disassemblies, robberies, and slavery to make them look prettier than ASCII, but even though ¤, ¥, ¦, and § are defined in font.dat, but not drawn in fontsmall.png - and thus unused in the default game - the game ignores them even when they are added to the appropriate blank spots in fontsmall.png. It just prints nothing, not even the default single pixel that represents each unused glyph.
This probably question for normal OXC, I do not touch anything in fonts and Meridian probably too didn't. If it working in recent nightly then it will work in OXCE 3.5 when I merge it. If it not work in nightly then this is standard behavior of OXC an OXCE works same.

[edit]
bugged number
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:54:30 pm by Yankes »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: August 22, 2016, 10:46:26 pm »
This probably question for normal OXC, I do not touch anything in fonts and Meridian probably too didn't. If it working in recent nightly then it will work in OXCE 2.5 when I merge it. If it not work in nightly then this is standard behavior of OXC an OXCE works same.

Yeah, I haven't touched fonts either.

PS: wake up Yankes :) few days you spoke about 2.3 and 2.4, it was quite funny, this time 2.5? We're already at 3.2  8)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: August 22, 2016, 11:54:03 pm »
PS: wake up Yankes :) few days you spoke about 2.3 and 2.4, it was quite funny, this time 2.5? We're already at 3.2  8)
I can only store numbers up to 3 in memory, this cause overflow to smaller value :>

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: August 22, 2016, 11:57:44 pm »
This probably question for normal OXC, I do not touch anything in fonts and Meridian probably too didn't. If it working in recent nightly then it will work in OXCE 2.5 when I merge it. If it not work in nightly then this is standard behavior of OXC an OXCE works same.
I'm not aware that it works in OXC either, I'm just curious why the font bitmaps and data include glyphs that the game won't actually use. Maybe it's a DOS behavior. I thought I'd seen a way to add some handy icons to the game.

If anyone feels like making OXCE use them, there's a good 10+ completely unused extended unicode characters in there just waiting to be shiny icons. I don't want to steal the accents or touch the Latin or Cyrillic characters because it would mess with translations.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: August 23, 2016, 01:37:34 am »
they fight in the tactical portion as well, you can just swap a good pilot in if needed.

Oooh i did not know that. Does that mean that pilots will basically be crap on the battlefield (since they're trained to be pilots, not soldiers) so you're encouraged to use them for utility out of combat (such as a medic, manning a mortar or using a probe)?

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:53 am »
A good pilot is probably an extremely good soldier.  Problem is that they are supposed to be by the controls of the ship, and so you have to worry about getting them where you want them a little more than usual.

On the difficulty thing, next game I'll try a harder difficulty, I don't expect to do great, I'm really not that good at this type of game, but until I easily killed an Osiron Security with a domestic shotgun, it really wasn't that obvious that I wasn't really getting the full experience.

Edit

needed to post again, but dislike double posting way too much

Is there supposed to be a use for living shamblers, other than the 30k? can't butcher the things and it doesn't look like there's any other use for them right now.  Also researching a living one doesn't leave a corpse, which I'm pretty sure is what is supposed to happen when you interview a beast.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:25:16 am by khade »

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: August 23, 2016, 05:44:51 am »
About the mortar, right now its low firing trajectory suggests that it's really an oversized grenade launcher, meaning that the 'mortar' has trouble hitting places behind tall obstacles (e.g. buildings), or if the obstacles are close enough. Is it possible to increase the trajectory in the files?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: August 23, 2016, 06:18:57 am »
No, the engine calculates the trajectories for arcing shots. Shot height would be a great thing to be able to tweak, to allow mortars to fire higher (although that also requires the map to have many, many levels otherwise the projectile hits the "ceiling"), and bows to fire more directly.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: August 23, 2016, 07:59:40 am »
Is the Airbus supposed to be unlocked through the car thieves? I noticed that it can't be bought early on, but it wasn't unlocked with the other battery powered vehicles. Bug or have I just not found the research needed for it?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3205 on: August 23, 2016, 03:05:43 pm »
Currently unbuyable, partially due to lore reasons and partially, mechanics: either it can be bought from the start - which would make no sense - or not at all, because if it was unlockable, its maintenance wouldn't show up in the Logs until it was unlocked.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:50 pm »
Ha! I just got the joke in naming the advanced kevlar armor Chromeback.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: August 23, 2016, 03:39:37 pm »
Ha! I just got the joke in naming the advanced kevlar armor Chromeback.

Care to share? For me, Chromeback unfortunately doesn't have any meaning or double-meaning.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3208 on: August 23, 2016, 03:50:44 pm »
Chromeback Guerrilla. Does it make the joke clearer? :)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: August 23, 2016, 03:53:05 pm »
Here's the spoiler for those not wanting to search harder:

Spoiler:
Adult male gorilla: silverback.  Maturation of Guerrilla armor technology: Chromeback.