Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609966 times)

Offline ThatDude

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.98 - 26 Feb - Leather, Oil & Sweat
« Reply #2055 on: March 05, 2016, 11:49:21 pm »
I can't quicksave or quickload in the latest version? Is this a bug or is it just me

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: March 06, 2016, 12:39:41 am »
That has nothing to do with Piratez. You need to turn off debug mode. (In the configuration file, write debugg: false instead of true).

It's possible actually that Dioxine distributed his configuration file (and hence the debug mode turned on). He has a tendency to do that.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2057 on: March 06, 2016, 01:50:59 am »
It is true. It has all the options set to what Piratez need for those who don't know about configs. Those who do will know not to overwrite it. I will disable debug in that config if you think it makes more harm than good.

Offline Moon_Dew

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: March 06, 2016, 03:39:00 am »
I follow the instructions to the letter, but no matter how times I uninstall and reinstall, every time I've clicked on the .exe file it says that it can't find the damn directory!  What am I doing wrong!?

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: March 06, 2016, 03:42:00 am »
You don't have the UFO: EU (xcom1, not-tftd, whatever) files in the /UFO/ folder.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: March 06, 2016, 11:22:57 am »
Is it possible for weapons to change the terain they hit to make it cost diffirent TU when a unit walks on it?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2061 on: March 06, 2016, 01:48:44 pm »
Is it possible for weapons to change the terain they hit to make it cost diffirent TU when a unit walks on it?

No, terrain tiles, if destroyed, are internally defined to change to a given another tile, or disappear completely.

Offline Hohlokot

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: March 06, 2016, 03:53:43 pm »
Guys, how to get uac carabine early in the game?And why magical girls so rare?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: March 06, 2016, 06:57:18 pm »
No, terrain tiles, if destroyed, are internally defined to change to a given another tile, or disappear completely.
But I think it is possible for the destroyed terrain tile to cost less. Like those annoying 8 TUs high grass tiles that, if destroyed, change to a barren tile that is faster to walk on (I think?).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2064 on: March 06, 2016, 08:47:41 pm »
Yeah it is possible. You can eliminate high grass with an explosive, the destroyed tiles allow normal movement rate.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: March 06, 2016, 09:12:43 pm »
Yeah it is possible. You can eliminate high grass with an explosive, the destroyed tiles allow normal movement rate.

Good to know! From now on I think my every first turn will be just throw HE pack out and wait one turn.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: March 06, 2016, 11:00:51 pm »
Does high grass provide any kind of cover? I've tried having soldiers kneel in it at times thinking they'd have less chance of getting hit since less of their body is exposed, but now that I think about it maybe this was silly. It's just grass.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: March 07, 2016, 12:38:34 am »
It'd be cool if there was a spotting mechanic, but as far as I know, kneeling does nothing more than improving your accuracy (it does help a little if you are behind a low elevation cover piece, but it will also probably block your shot while since your head and shoulder are exposed, the enemy will likely still make their shot..).

Partial cover has very little impact in XCom, if you're seen, you're a good target, unless  there's some funky firing mechanic happening (like when standing just out of a UFO and trying to hit someone diagonally by the door)

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #2068 on: March 07, 2016, 11:59:25 am »
A lot of cover is designed around kneeling. I do not have the specifics, but kneeling behind a rock or a tree trunk helps against most angles. Bushes are also a lot helpful as it often take two shots or more to burn through the leaves.

High grass or wheat fields however are useless.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.97D - 29 Jan - High Times
« Reply #2069 on: March 07, 2016, 06:44:58 pm »
X2 is actually pretty damn fantastic. It's a complete upgrade over Xcom'12, as far as I am concerned.
It's significantly better than EU/EW, and with mod support it will only get better.

Cover is actually modeled in X-Com. Each scenery element has a height, as does each sprite, and the game actually traces each projectile path to determine the point of impact. Firing accuracy basically reduces or eliminates scatter on the initial release of the projectile. The more things between you and the shooter, the more on-target the projectile has to be to not hit something else on the way. This is why collateral damage and friendly fire are possible. It was way more advanced than most games were doing at the time, and still more advanced than Firaxis's XCOMs.