aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3612891 times)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.97D - 29 Jan - High Times
« Reply #2025 on: February 15, 2016, 12:39:57 am »
Dioxine, I am not sure if the 'Family Ties' research works. I got two 'Zero Tolerances' within the following months.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2026 on: February 15, 2016, 11:58:40 am »
Shouldn't be possible but I think there's some hardcoded part to this mission. I think I heard that once it starts, it's going to be auto-spawned for each country in the region in turn.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: February 15, 2016, 12:42:03 pm »
That would be in line with my observation. The turned countries are all in Europe.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2028 on: February 15, 2016, 01:10:17 pm »
So it should go like this... you will lose all of Europe, one country per month, then no more Sway Govt missions will ever appear. I can't change how this works.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: February 15, 2016, 01:35:44 pm »
^ouch. Hope to win the game before then. I have 3 of the 4 codes required. I am now actively hunting down the Provincial Govt to provoke a base raid.

Playthrough has been interesting although the end game can be a bit too long. The addition of the two 'Rebel' mechanics does help because at the moment I have built 3 fighters and shooting every craft down but only assaulting choice crashes / landing / bases.

Funny enough only 6 alien bases in 3 years of game play but then this is difficulty level 2.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2030 on: February 15, 2016, 01:59:04 pm »
Yeah, bases aren't that common. And I will work to streamline the endgame more in the future - I agree it gets a bit tedious. Also, why would you want the Govt invading? You don't need them for codes.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: February 15, 2016, 02:23:32 pm »
Bear with me. Let me gather my thoughts. I have Trade, Academy, Church. Don't I need Provincials to round off? Don't mind me. I need a SGC - I think. How does one capture one alive with minimal loss? Will think on that.

Offline Galwail

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: February 15, 2016, 02:55:45 pm »
Motion tracker, stun bombs and lots of smoke?  :D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2033 on: February 15, 2016, 04:00:06 pm »
Yeah stun bomb them to hell. With stun bomb production running and shoulder launchers installed you'll be able to blanket the whole map with stun damage, at least for a couple of missions but you don't need more. Motion scanners'll make sure you won't get easily surprised by the invisible units. Get some plasma-resistant armor. Don't trust the smoke fully as Star Gods can fly and spot you from above (units can see 4-5 tiles inside the smoke and it is difficult to make smoke screen that high). Don't use chemical weapons, though, they're useless against Star Gods. SGCs can be found on any missions that normal highest-level commanders appear.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:02:20 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: February 15, 2016, 06:27:29 pm »
Thanks. Last time I played this - I used custom stun weapons. Will update Arsenal to include shoulder launchers.

Offline Gyuudon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: February 15, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »
Probably should standardize text for things like Defender/Guardian Armor: it reads "Energy Recovery 40%"... wasn't too pleased after I realized this meant "recovers energy 40% of normal rate" when previous armors would read Energy Recovery -40% instead.

Anyway, great mod, I went midgame and probably will stop playing until the mod's a bit more finalized. And probably play my next run with Sneaky AI off because that was the most frustrating part of my first OpenXCOM experience. Nothing like scouring the whole map only to find it was some Lobsterman walking back and forth between three unexplored tiles just because he wanted to stay hidden.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:29:43 pm by Gyuudon »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: February 16, 2016, 10:42:20 am »
Sneaky AI is devilish in Pirates especially on those terror maps with high storey buildings. I keep forgetting to bring along my motion scanners.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2037 on: February 16, 2016, 12:37:01 pm »
Probably should standardize text for things like Defender/Guardian Armor: it reads "Energy Recovery 40%"... wasn't too pleased after I realized this meant "recovers energy 40% of normal rate" when previous armors would read Energy Recovery -40% instead.

wut
Here are the Pedia texts, straight from the language file:
Code: [Select]
      STR_PIR_DEFENDER_UC_UFOPEDIA: "This medium-weight carapace armor offers near-invulnerability to small-arms fire, being resistant to most known forms of abuse; however, it's quite heavy (Wt: 12). Large Target. Energy Recovery -20%."
      STR_PIR_DEFENDER_DMG_UC_UFOPEDIA: "This suit of advanced carapace armor was taken from a dead pirate corpse. Despite the damage, it is still quite useable. Wt: 10. Large Target. Energy Recovery -20%."
      STR_PIR_GUARDIAN_UC_UFOPEDIA: "Improved version of the Defender armor, with thicker plating and electronic sights. Wt: 15. NV: 20. Large Target. Energy Recovery -40%."

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: February 16, 2016, 04:19:13 pm »
So here I was rejoicing about being end game - then I get another research item - Higher Studies!!  :o ;D ;D

Also gotten Ultimate Craft research

Offline Gyuudon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: February 17, 2016, 06:05:50 am »
Oh duhr, it's word wrapped so it looked kinda of like

Energy Recovery -
40%

Defender was definitely confusing though, which made me believe Guardian was also an Energy Recovery upgrade.