Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3658747 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.96 - 20 Nov - News of the World
« Reply #1425 on: November 22, 2015, 02:12:55 pm »
The spiked mace is a nice idea, I like spiked maces. But not for a starter weapon, maybe later on. As for the Ruger 14 Mini, too close to the Hunting Rifle I think...

niculinux

« Reply #1426 on: November 22, 2015, 02:44:27 pm »
The spiked mace is a nice idea, I like spiked maces. But not for a starter weapon, maybe later on. As for the Ruger 14 Mini, too close to the Hunting Rifle I think...

Well, seems a Ruger, but i googled m-14, actually ruger was a copy as far as i know, is it so? A mace would suit perfectly to the game, i thought more as a strartin weapon, maybe research eould lead eventually to an elerium mace (there is a mod on the forum, made by tyrian nick). Like happens with the bow/force bow. :)

Oh and the eventual "RCF Carabine" should not have autofire, for some balancing sake...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1427 on: November 22, 2015, 03:13:03 pm »
Elerium Mace is already in the mod.

niculinux

« Reply #1428 on: November 22, 2015, 03:20:25 pm »
Sorry my bad. :( Maybe the carabine should also have a  lighter mazazione (15 rounds) but a bit more powerful than the rifle. also, another ancient smg in the black market to  buy woukd be fine (there are lots of handguns and few submachineguns), such as a sterling, or even an PPS-43, the second is a Red Army weapon, kt really shoukd not be missing in piratez!!!  :D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: November 22, 2015, 04:23:19 pm »
How about a spiked mace unlocked with some armor research? Or used by a faction and introduced in a similar way as longsword (but manufacturable with a pipe + some scrap metal?)

Maces were a good weapon to deal with armor, I think? So something like: More clumsy than a sword, but ignores some of the target's armor? Lower hit % as it is more difficult to land a telling blow, but ignore some armor so when you hit and armored foe, you hit a bit harder.

We have a lot of choppy weapons, but we could indeed use a few more blunt ones. Spiked mace research could then become a pre-req for the elerium one.

As for guns.. I tend to agree with Dioxine that we have a lot.

Also, I noticed you attached my juggernaut recolor. That's nice :) But for some reason the ruleset fails to overwrite big/floor obs #910, so the corpses don't display properly. I've attached a working ruleset.

niculinux

« Reply #1430 on: November 22, 2015, 05:18:51 pm »
How about a spiked mace unlocked with some armor research? Or used by a faction and introduced in a similar way as longsword (but manufacturable with a pipe + some scrap metal?)

Actually these were pretty ancient weapons, even romans made use of them, though spiked model (morning star) appeared durin medieval age. I really can't see why research may be needed to produce them, could be present in the BM since the start. Research ay birn to elerium mace, as i wrote in the post above.

Maces were a good weapon to deal with armor, I think? So something like: More clumsy than a sword, but ignores some of the target's armor? Lower hit % as it is more difficult to land a telling blow, but ignore some armor so when you hit and armored foe, you hit a bit harder.

I'm not a technical guy...but yes these may bring both stun and concussive damage, the % percentage accuracy ma by greater than a sword (maces are rathcer "big" in comparison ta a sword) but of poor usage agains heavy armored enemies, fair against average ones, pretty effective against unarmored. Maybe some strenght may be required for optimal usage (bonus)
[/quote]

As for guns.. I tend to agree with Dioxine that we have a lot.
[...].

OK, I don't wanna insist, but there are 6-7 handguns and only a couple of smg right avaiable at the BM at start. Moreover there are quite some pieces rather unusual in videogames. Having these in piratez may be interesting, since less featured, as far as i know. Please google and see if something stimulate your fantasies, here some examples:

PPSH-41 (i mentioned nother model above, sry for the mistake, i meant the following)

(please note, my be made by modifing the thompson m1928 sprite...ma be interesting, since it could have worst accuracy in the game, since it has not any hand grip, but a bit more long range than the spraygun. damage: 23?)

Sterling Mk 4:

(alternatively, a Sten)

Beretta MBA 30

The first two are british smg, the last is an italian one so may all the world represented in guns in piratez?  ;D

Spraygun..resembles the old M£ grease gun, so that's fine:

Another potential inspiration for the rcf carabine i mentioned before may, other than an M-14 (which i prefer) may be an FN-FAL (belgian rifle) maded in both auto and non auto version, the latter may be fitting in the game:

In closing, i really never stood the actual rcf carabine firing sound (seeems tom me more a quack/squack sound O_o) any chance to replace in the next versions? Some inspiration may come from here. ;)

Edit: also battle flag should be manufacturable since the very beginning, costing 50$ each one.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:28:57 pm by niculinux »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: November 22, 2015, 06:12:42 pm »
Actually these were pretty ancient weapons, even romans made use of them, though spiked model (morning star) appeared durin medieval age. I really can't see why research may be needed to produce them, could be present in the BM since the start.
Well, at the beginning, the gals aren't really into weapons theory it seems. Much like you need research to tell you that a smaller sword you can put in your belt is nice (short sword), I think a more refined blunt weapon could too. Otherwise you get everything at the start and who's gonna use the pipe when they have a mace?

Why would the black market sell maces? That's awfully backwards when there are guns, unless it has an antique department ;) Swords and daggers have a prestige around them so they might still be around for officers, and hammers for doing work.

Research ay birn to elerium mace, as i wrote in the post above.
Sorry what?

I'm not a technical guy...but yes these may bring both stun and concussive damage, the % percentage accuracy ma by greater than a sword (maces are rathcer "big" in comparison ta a sword) but of poor usage agains heavy armored enemies, fair against average ones, pretty effective against unarmored. Maybe some strenght may be required for optimal usage (bonus)

In my experience, a weapon being big has nothing to do with hitting lots. Being big (and heavy) means being cumbersome to use and harder to hit with because your blows are slower (same strength, larger mass = lower acceleration). To me a mace should have lower hit %, but maybe gain accuracy as.. 15% of strength? As you get stronger you have an easier time swinging it? That'd be a cool mechanic for blunt weapons.

Also it seemed like a sword suffers more from armor (nothing to cut, more difficult to land a telling blow) than a mace (still something to smash, if you smash through armor, it makes even more of a mess) and looking at the wiki articles, it seems like warhammers were a development to deal with plate armor, maces are also mentioned as having flanges or spikes to help penetrating armor, whereas swords/axes are just mentioned as having issues with hard steel and scoring glancing hits.

Edit: also battle flag should be manufacturable since the very beginning, costing 50$ each one.
I agree, or made relatively accessible? It's been a year in game and I still can't make one I think. And since I started before it was introduced, I didn't get one at the start either.

Different topic: I've been playing with the Full Plate and enjoying it quite a lot. But I found the shield to be a bit oddly placed, so I tweaked it. I've attached a modified handob and a screenshot of the changes (top = new, bottom = old).

niculinux

« Reply #1432 on: November 22, 2015, 06:34:10 pm »
[...]
Sorry what?

Emh.. I mean after some research player may be able to make an elerium mace.  Mace is really a simple weapon, one step above the club or a stone hatchet i'd dare to say. Gals woulds see it like a "lead pipe with spikes" (possible bootypedia desctiption) so i think there's not necessary a "genius" to figure it out (referring to piratez, fo course!)

In my experience, a weapon being big has nothing to do with hitting lots. Being big (and heavy) means being cumbersome to use and harder to hit with because your blows are slower (same strength, larger mass = lower acceleration). To me a mace should have lower hit %, but maybe gain accuracy as.. 15% of strength? As you get stronger you have an easier time swinging it? That'd be a cool mechanic for blunt weapons.

Also it seemed like a sword suffers more from armor (nothing to cut, more difficult to land a telling blow) than a mace (still something to smash, if you smash through armor, it makes even more of a mess) and looking at the wiki articles, it seems like warhammers were a development to deal with plate armor, maces are also mentioned as having flanges or spikes to help penetrating armor, whereas swords/axes are just mentioned as having issues with hard steel and scoring glancing hits.

Nice explanation  8), but honestly i thought of it just for a possible replacement for the lead pipe  :) Another way: Primitive weapons research topic may also bring to two-edge axe and mace, for instance. :D

I agree, or made relatively accessible? It's been a year in game and I still can't make one I think. And since I started before it was introduced, I didn't get one at the start either.

Battle flag never were avaiable since start?!? Actually now makes mooore sense with the combat stress actually, not before. Should be makeable as pirate clothing.

To complete the picture, also a couple of western weapons may be fine, these surely may appear after some research, eg Winchester model 1894:

and a colt pacemaker:

Also, some "incitement" may come from imfdb.org, it really a must see, even for a freaking sick maniac like me  :o The ruger mini 14 featured in the A-team series (without folding stock) may be interesting

"Boys, I love whan a plan comes togheter"

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:23:10 pm by niculinux »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1433 on: November 22, 2015, 06:37:52 pm »
Well, at the beginning, the gals aren't really into weapons theory it seems. Much like you need research to tell you that a smaller sword you can put in your belt is nice (short sword), I think a more refined blunt weapon could too. Otherwise you get everything at the start and who's gonna use the pipe when they have a mace?

It's hard to expect from them to know all the refinements the medieval people have made to their weapons. That knowledge was lost (even today, some of it has been lost), as most of the history was lost. Figuring out a spiked mace and methods to make it requires some braining. Well, I don't say that the weapon isn't known in the world, just that the gals do not know it.

niculinux

« Reply #1434 on: November 22, 2015, 07:57:50 pm »
@ Dioxine: oh..ok...peraphs if there enough stuff i thunk new should be added, as  i wrote some post ago, unless there are original ideas, above are just some clues. Hey, another rrreeeeeeaaaalyyyyy cool may be.. Freddie Krueger wand!

Example:

Amy be named "Assassin wand"...and even unlacked with "Primitive weapons"... damage type: 10 (cutting). More light than a dagger but more TU to use. Virtually useless agains average-armored enemies.

Also,  the actual blunderbuss may be a startin weapons as the  musket, with a shotgun-alike fire, damage 30, a bit faster reloading time (25 TU) but only 1 shot  in the chamber:

Example:

(sprite may be sone more longer, modifying the musket one)

The current one eventually one may become "Auto blunderbuss" and may be produced after "Flinktlock and bombs" has been reserched. Seems fine?

@ Arthanor: really like the shield there. It provides some armor bonus, but prevent usin two handed weapons i guess...;)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: November 22, 2015, 08:01:23 pm »
If there were a "pain" psi-tree built around torture/interrogation/slavery (panic as usual, instead of mind control, a torture spell that ignores armor and inflicts many low damage hits to cause lots of fatal wounds), that could be the psi-amp for it if Dioxine and Yankes figure out a way to allow psi-amps to also inflict melee damage. Could be pretty cool!

Regarding the shield, Dioxine did that, I just moved it around a bit so it looks better in the gals' hand. It does increase armor, and takes up a hand so you'd get an aiming malus for using a 2-hand weapon. I use it with newish gals, give them a smartpistol so they can hit something and they are cheap walking tanks to board easy (normal firearms) crafts. Great for training and sparing your good gals from the possible grenade/rpg injuries.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1436 on: November 22, 2015, 09:22:32 pm »
If there were a "pain" psi-tree built around torture/interrogation/slavery (panic as usual, instead of mind control, a torture spell that ignores armor and inflicts many low damage hits to cause lots of fatal wounds), that could be the psi-amp for it if Dioxine and Yankes figure out a way to allow psi-amps to also inflict melee damage. Could be pretty cool!

This is within the scope of the Illusion discipline, and indeed, the weapon you describe is very close to what the Star Gods already have (and you, as well, if you get the Ghost Armor). This would just be a mutation that fires multiple weaker bolts, and Cutting instead of Plasma.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: November 22, 2015, 09:27:25 pm »
Ah! Well.. I'm a voodoo n0ob. Just getting my first gals with some training now! :D Got 2 witch outfits waiting (man is it ever a pain to find medallions.. had to ruleset dig to see where I could get some from, because I really wanted to finally try voodoo!). Soon it'll be shenanigans time!!!

Maybe as a slightly easier alternative to MC (since MC has a lot more potential than outright killing) it would be cool to get a DoT power. Bonus points if it also sets the target on fire  8)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1438 on: November 22, 2015, 09:37:18 pm »
It's easier since the damaging voodoo weapons always work, even if your VooDoo powers are quite average. For MC to work reliably, you need masters. As for the fire, yeah, it is possible, but it's more of the Destruction discipline :) And yeah, there will be more voodoo toys, since basically all vanilla VooDoo, plus invisibility, plus armor-ignoring beams, are Illusion. The 3 remaining disciplines need each a comparable number of options :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: November 22, 2015, 09:49:38 pm »
Destruction discipline? Even more disciplines? *runs to the Voodoo hut*