aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3686164 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.96 - 20 Nov - News of the World
« Reply #1410 on: November 21, 2015, 03:40:29 pm »
FYI:  When downloading the .96 file from Mediafire, Chrome flags it as malicious.  Not sure why.  My AV scanned it clean.  Maybe just the site.  It might DL fine from the mod site.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1411 on: November 21, 2015, 04:06:25 pm »
FYI:  When downloading the .96 file from Mediafire, Chrome flags it as malicious.  Not sure why.  My AV scanned it clean.  Maybe just the site.  It might DL fine from the mod site.

Google doesn't own MediaFire, and it's a very popular service. Add 2+2 :) In general, Google discourages downloading archives and execs. The same exact file is on the Modsite now.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: November 21, 2015, 04:52:55 pm »
Google doesn't own MediaFire, and it's a very popular service. Add 2+2 :) In general, Google discourages downloading archives and execs. The same exact file is on the Modsite now.

I also got this issue but by going to the download page of Chrome you can recover the .zip file. The mod portal is still broken, i.e., I can't download the latest Piratez for this reason.

I noticed that you added the Slums and Complex terrains but using craft. I don't know if you noticed it yet but you're going to have missing walls on buildings because of how the map blocks for those terrains are designed. 

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1413 on: November 21, 2015, 05:20:21 pm »
I noticed that you added the Slums and Complex terrains but using craft. I don't know if you noticed it yet but you're going to have missing walls on buildings because of how the map blocks for those terrains are designed.

I got used to missing walls in your terrains, it's a little rough & chaotic but not a real problem, pirates fly their ships with bravado and no attention to little detail :) Btw how do I get back the "landing in shrubs" in the jungle and "landing on top of boxes" in Area 51?

EDIT: looks like a broken link on mod-portar. Joshua, get your #@%$ together... Re-uploading...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:44:48 pm by Dioxine »

niculinux

« Reply #1414 on: November 21, 2015, 06:46:33 pm »
Tryed the 0.95c saved games on 0.96 and the game hanged a bit...then returned normal...don't know if usin newer versions will make the player miss new features, like the newspaper, it's possible? And even cripple research?

In the meantime, started a new game on the 0.96 (playng the most hard level i was being beated for gooooood!!!  :o )

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: November 21, 2015, 07:46:12 pm »
It shouldnt disable any important research,but if you research something that was removed or youre researching something that in the newer update removes said item then things can get weird.

niculinux

« Reply #1416 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:21 pm »
Oh so i suppose it's always better have a new game to be safe.  :'( Hey ON certain terrain, when i shoot ans assault a ship, if i make some (even accidentally) blow, nearly half of the map explodes (!!!) I suppose it's a feature? It occuurs in maps with the wrekage of airplanes :P (suppose it's mutuated form TFTD)  8)

Also, inspired by this post would be nice to have a facility that decresas the days required to gals to be cured, maybe something like "Sanatory"..may even be not researched first, since it's a primary need (instead of the base defence facilities) may it find its way in 0.97?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 21, 2015, 08:55:12 pm »
There are already medical facilities, but I don't think they help recovery time. It would be a nice touch. We'll see..

It is always better to start a new game with updates, but Piratez is such a long game that you will be starting a new game without ever finishing one, or you will be missing the new features. Neither of which are great. I certainly will be trying to upgrade!

I don't think it's MediaFire, but some archival sites will add "promotional software" to installers when they archive them. Usually, running the installer will have a page with an already checked box that say "Yes, please install X on my computer" so if you just click "next", you will get it and you have to pay attention and uncheck the box, but some websites have started to dispense altogether with the page and just install it. Since you are running an installer for a program you want and already gave it permission to instal, it goes through. It's a nasty thing and it might be why google flags downloading a .exe from archival sites as potentially malicious.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:06:43 pm by Arthanor »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1418 on: November 21, 2015, 09:27:56 pm »
Yeah possibly, but MediaFire has no installer, downloader or uploader, or anything. Flash interface is as insane as they go, which is not very much for this insane world.
I personally think it's Google pushing their Cloud tech to net-junkies, by, amongst other means, discouraging large (voluntary) downolads.
I'm always running 2 antivirus programs plus Peerblock, not counting normal Firefox & Windows firewalls, so I think I'm reasonably clean.

Med facilities are not supported by the code in any way, so I cannot add them (and even if I could, I dunno - the recovery time seems just right. Maybe a chance to ressurect a freshly-killed soldier instead...)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:39:02 pm by Dioxine »

niculinux

« Reply #1419 on: November 21, 2015, 09:42:19 pm »
[...]

Med facilities are not supported by the code in any way, so I cannot add them (and even if I could, I dunno - the recovery time seems just right. Maybe a chance to ressurect a freshly-killed soldier instead...)

Vodoo-powers related?  ;)

Edit: Please mind reading for upgrades 0.97 and onwards.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:45:43 pm by niculinux »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: November 21, 2015, 11:29:14 pm »
i've been following a bit Meridian's LP; just bits so i might be mistaken, but: maybe researching all enemies is a bit out of place for this mod?
as far as i understand the world is how it is since a while; pogroms have been happening for quite some time, it is not an "invasion" started "one month ago".
i understand researching bio-engineered terror units an robots (the latter so you can tie to manufacture), but stuff like the "ghouls" give me the idea of common (relatively) grunts that should be known among the outlaws-rebels-whatever.
making many of these "soldier"-type of enemies known would also slim down the research tree, which isn't a bad thing (the interface is not friendly to many research topics).

just an impression.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: November 21, 2015, 11:58:34 pm »
I would expect that until the game starts, the gals would have ran the hell away from a pogrom, so they don't really know much about other real enemies. The game doesn't feel like the gals have been doing this for a while (they would have something better than muskets and pirate outfits). Although the world has been what it is for some time, it seems like before January 2610, the gals were just common bandits, probably preying on regular humans. Then they found the hideout (you don't know much about it at the beginning: Can't build a lab, the vaults are full of junk) and decided to think big and somehow managed to extort the governments for protection money.

Actually, a "Who is the enemy?" follow up to "Contact: Mutant Alliance" could be cool. It would represent the gals getting info from their new allies and could open the bootypedia entry of some low level enemies to see their armor and vulnerabilities. So you spend some time being clueless, but if you are looking for it, the info would be there so you can face problems properly.

The "common ruffians" entry factions could get a bit more detail, while the main ones would give less. Then you keep the corpse and interrogation research projects for the topics that actually lead somewhere (or for those who didn't bother with the mutant alliance).

Different topic: Who's that idiot who suggested increasing the weights of heavy weapons?! I didn't checked after upgrading, now I'm raiding a terror ship with gals that can't carry their kit! ;) Joking and my own stupidity aside, I think that works well. Hover is much less obvious of a choice over loader/juggernaut now.

Edit: And great work on the UFO recolors. Those look awesome! A lot more dark and menacing than the originals.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:34:55 am by Arthanor »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1422 on: November 22, 2015, 03:22:30 am »
Where's the fun in exploring lore if everything is laid bare at the beginning of the game? Who'd have the patience to read Pedia if it was twice as long? You get basic human stats at the beginning and human enemies are usually close to that template. Unless armored, but that armor is like magic to your gals - and if it isn't, it's not that important for them. Yeah most enemy researches are just random (if sometimes useful) stuff (most grunts have a ton of random topics to talk about) and tidbits of info as a prize. You don't really need to research that many enemies, if you don't want to. But where's the fun of playing the game if you get no prizes? There is no corpse research for common enemies, that'd make no sense. As for slimming down the research tree? Well. No. Not really. It's the opposite direction we're travelling here, sorry. "Who is the enemy" of sorts does exist, it's called "Who is Who" and IS followed by "Contact: Mutant Alliance".
Also, all topics, at least potentially, lead somewhere. Yes. No real 'dead topics' since this would kill replay value. The Ghoul itself is not much important, but he will talk about one random topic, and you need ALL of them in the end, or at least most (but you can get them from multiple alternate sources). You need to know all basic weapons and all ship types, that's for sure. You need countries for much stuff as well. Missions, not really yet, but this will also change and there will be prizes for getting a ton of mission lore.
Oh yeah and there are usually prize-researches for interrogating all members of a faction as well. So... no 'useless' stuff.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:27:49 am by Dioxine »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: November 22, 2015, 03:26:19 am »
I got used to missing walls in your terrains, it's a little rough & chaotic but not a real problem, pirates fly their ships with bravado and no attention to little detail :) Btw how do I get back the "landing in shrubs" in the jungle and "landing on top of boxes" in Area 51?

You'll need to reset those map blocks as landing areas for craft (groups: 1)

niculinux

« Reply #1424 on: November 22, 2015, 01:26:44 pm »
Hey, just thinking: inspired by RareOne's dart wepons mor for x-piratez may be nice to have some research-related improved harpoon gun, with a more roomy ammo capacity (6 rounds) and 4 different types of ammo: piercing, stun, poisonous and explosive (rambo docet! It's a pity bows in the game do not have ammo types  :'( ). That research topic may also unlock dart gun, only with 2 ammo types, piercing and stunning and a limited magazine size (let's say 3 rounds)

Also, may we get a hexen-alike mace instead of that anonimous lead pipe? Altough it may make some sense because it's kinda related to the pile of junk item, i find very strange  :-\  Here's a sample:

Actually i never paid attention, but it resembles the one seen in the cartoon series "Fist of The North Star" :o (hey do some researech and look with your own eyes!!! Though the one featured in the aforementioned has a cylinder more taller). Well...the are many more examples provided by Google, for different ideas, i hoe this may intersting. I think it should be buyable from the black market, so that the pipe may instead being discovered among the junk :D

Another thing, may be also some more interesting havin an "RCF carabine" and a "RCF Rifle", the latter might be the actual carabine featured in the  game, the former more M-14 style, more lighter and longing range that the rifle. An example may be here, or the usual Google footage:

:)