Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3692336 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended - 0.95A - 3 Oct - Star Gods' Revenge
« Reply #1050 on: October 21, 2015, 11:03:02 pm »
Thins mean that you can change hair/skin plus one additional color based on gender/nationality.

Thanks, man. Not sure if I'll use this anyway, since I don't want sprites to be confusing, armor-wise...

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Stealth
« Reply #1051 on: October 22, 2015, 08:27:30 pm »
Is stealth working as intended? I still don't understand when and why a gal can the these catgirls, but in this case, she clearly can - there is this little red [1] pointing to it! Nevertheless, there is no way to make the gal hit the catgirl with sword nor shoot it. And the other gals cannot even see the catgirl despite standing right next to it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:30:57 pm by Zharkov »

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: October 22, 2015, 08:28:35 pm »
well, i'm stuck can't continue playing to understand the available armors before drawing more, the reason?, the same why i could not go far in TTFTD: lobster men, broken OP, lobstermen, only a few months into an i have an invencible enemy.....any help?

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:34 pm »
well, i'm stuck can't continue playing to understand the available armors before drawing more, the reason?, the same why i could not go far in TTFTD: lobster men, broken OP, lobstermen, only a few months into an i have an invencible enemy.....any help?

Yes, in piratez, you are not fighting a war, you run a business. Generally, it is not advised to attack your "customers" unless you can take  them out and make a profit.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth
« Reply #1054 on: October 22, 2015, 08:36:09 pm »
Is stealth working as intended? I still don't understand when and why a gal can the these catgirls, but in this case, she clearly can - there is this little red [1] pointing to it! Nevertheless, there is no way to make the gal hit the catgirl with sword nor shoot it. And the other gals cannot even see the catgirl despite standing right next to it.

You can only hit them on diagonals - its a feature not a bug (also very annoying)

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: October 22, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »
Yes, in piratez, you are not fighting a war, you run a business. Generally, it is not advised to attack your "customers" unless you can take  them out and make a profit.
bu...but i love war :C , that mission was so fun, lot of deep ones in sight, all getting slaughtered, can just tell what weapon works (if any) with lobster menso i can be prepared next time?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:54 pm »
Re: Stealth
As Roxis said, you can only hit them if you stand directly above, left, right or below (as seen on the screen), or, alternatively, only in squares that are connected by corners, not ones connected by edges. I am actually surprised that your gal in the diagonal can see the target.

Re: Lobstermen
Usually, if you need more power to deal with something, you need to use melee weapons. Especially hammers. Hammers are really good damage-wise, especially if you have strong gals. Otherwise, Piratez is not XCom, you are not trying to stop all the "UFOs" from flying over the earth, you're trying to intercept some and make a profit. If it's not going to make you a profit, don't intercept it ;) Your score can likely survive it.

Also, Dioxine hinted that aquatic life-forms have a hard time breathing air. Imagine if it's highly polluted.. smokey? air.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1057 on: October 22, 2015, 08:47:29 pm »
Lobstermen are incidentally quite resistant to hammers. They have the same major vulneravility as in TFTD, though. D/w about them, anyway - doing Lobstermen missions is usually irrelevant, unless you're really short on cash/points (they do provide some scientific backdoor to late techs, though...).
As for score - because it is expected you will pass on some missions, all "lore" researches net you tons of points, you can easily garner >1000 points a month just from interrogations, data discs etc.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:50:19 pm by Dioxine »

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: October 22, 2015, 08:51:30 pm »
Lobstermen are incidentally quite resistant to hammers. They have the same major vulneravility as in TFTD, though. D/w about them, anyway - doing Lobstermen missions is usually irrelevant, unless you're really short on cash/points (they do provide some scientific backdoor to late techs, though...).
As for score - because it is expected you will pass on some missions, all "lore" researches net you tons of points, you can easily garner >1000 points a month just from interrogations, data discs etc.
but i hate them anyway , how do i kill them?, even if is only for the sweet feeling of revenge  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:54:58 pm by jmf »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: October 22, 2015, 08:56:23 pm »
Well, usually hammers work well against armored enemies (warhammers and maces were good against medieval armor, and it worked well in the game too) so I am a bit surprised. Melee is a good way to deliver damage, but it is also risky to test.

I would expect you can cook 'em? Usually heavy armor in Piratez protects from fire, but a lobster is not wearing armor with closed controlled environment as much as having really tough "skin". Even if the skin is resistant, you should be able to cook the inside by making it hot. But that's just theory ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1060 on: October 22, 2015, 08:57:19 pm »
Ugh, jmf, not in the mood to brain about subtle hints? So all exposed:

Spoiler:
As in TFTD, their weakness is melee (cutting) damage. They're also vulnerable to stun and gauseous weapons, and to a lesser extent, to gratuitious use of FIRE. And, as with everything else, Baby Nuke or Heavy Gauss or Heavy Plasma works too, through the sheer numbers :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:59:40 pm by Dioxine »

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: October 22, 2015, 08:58:06 pm »
Well, usually hammers work well against armored enemies (warhammers and maces were good against medieval armor, and it worked well in the game too) so I am a bit surprised. Melee is a good way to deliver damage, but it is also risky to test.

I would expect you can cook 'em? Usually heavy armor in Piratez protects from fire, but a lobster is not wearing armor with closed controlled environment as much as having really tough "skin". Even if the skin is resistant, you should be able to cook the inside by making it hot. But that's just theory ;)

well, Dioxine himself just said that they are strong vs hammers :C, maybe fire, fire is cool, what about plasma?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1062 on: October 22, 2015, 09:00:47 pm »
Lobsters are aquatic creatures.
Good with pressures, including shock waves.
Not good with breathing air.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: October 22, 2015, 09:15:36 pm »
Lobsters are aquatic creatures.
Good with pressures, including shock waves.
Not good with breathing air.
Well.. I could see that argument used against sonic damage, or even explosives, and I guess that's why hammers are not so good either, since they have the same concussive damage type. But I challenge you to find a deep sea creature for which this applies :P

Pressure is something that is applied everywhere equally on a surface. Sure they are resistant to that (mostly because they don't have air inside, like we do, which would get you crushed since the air is very compressible. Hence the ideas of liquid oxygen in some high pressure sci-fi). But most (all?) shells from sea creatures are actually rather brittle on impact, much like medieval armor. I guess you can make the point that a cutting weapon applies its force on a smaller surface, so creates a larger impact than a hammer, which is more distributed.. Fine! ;)

well, Dioxine himself just said that they are strong vs hammers :C, maybe fire, fire is cool, what about plasma?
That's why I said "I am surprised", but Solarius' quote above seems to offer some kind of a rationale. Dioxine also gave you all the answer any ways, so have fun :P

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: October 22, 2015, 09:26:42 pm »
Ugh, jmf, not in the mood to brain about subtle hints? So all exposed:

Spoiler:
As in TFTD, their weakness is melee (cutting) damage. They're also vulnerable to stun and gauseous weapons, and to a lesser extent, to gratuitious use of FIRE. And, as with everything else, Baby Nuke or Heavy Gauss or Heavy Plasma works too, through the sheer numbers :)

sorry i'm in college now, should i focus but i was goffing around
pd: gotta get some advaced blades then
great, now i made Dioxine mad :C
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:31:07 pm by jmf »